Tools for V-Rex Overhaul?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Greg Dunn, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. Greg Dunn

    Greg Dunn Guest

    I want to overhaul my '99 V-Rex and would appreciate your assistance in helping me identify what
    tools I need. I already have a good set of generic tools, and a few bike-specific tools including a
    chain whip, chain tool, cone wrenches, allen wrenches, third hand, and a couple of different bicycle
    multi-tools. I've also just ordered a truing stand.

    So my question goes mostly to the specific tools I need to remove the crankset, headset, and rear
    cassette, and anything special I might need for shifters and derailleurs. The crankset and front
    derailleur are Shimano 105; the headset Ritchey; shifters, rear derailleur, and brakes are SRAM
    9.; hubs are Shimano Deore LX.

    Also: there's a bike repair video available, by Tom Cutherson. Anyone familiar with this? Know of
    anything better?

    Thanks!

    --
    Greg Dunn

    Tags:

  2. Greg Dunn asked:

    > So my question goes mostly to the specific tools I need to remove the crankset

    105 crankset, if it's anything like mine, needs a large (8mm?) Allen key to remove the bolt and, if
    said bolt is not self-extracting, a crank-puller. Park do a nice solid one. If you have the hollow
    splined axle, you need either a different puller from that used on tapered axles or stuff a small
    coin into the hole against the end of the axle prior to using the puller.

    > headset

    If it's threaded, a headset spanner in the appropriate size. Two are better than one when
    reassembling.

    > rear cassette

    Cassette lock ring remover - Park is recommended - and large adjustable spanner

    > and anything special I might need for shifters and derailleurs.

    Should just require Allen keys

    HTH

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  3. In article <[email protected]>, "Greg says...

    >I want to overhaul my '99 V-Rex and would appreciate your assistance in

    >Also: there's a bike repair video available, by Tom Cutherson. Anyone familiar with this? Know of
    >anything better?

    I haven't seen Tom's video, but I did pratically memorize his book by in 1976 or so. Great
    introduction to bikes.

    Instructional videos are usually pretty low in content, so that I would recommend a book instead
    unless you don't have any idea which way to turn a wrench. I have a number of books on bikes, and
    for my money nothing beats Barnetts Manual ($88 from Amazon) for bike mechanics. It's overkill if
    all you want are a few pictures on how to adjust brakes, but it has an amazing amount of info that
    allows you to analyze and fix just about anything.

    Steve Christensen

  4. Rick Moll

    Rick Moll Guest

    Greg Dunn wrote:
    > I want to overhaul my '99 V-Rex and would appreciate your assistance ...

    I'll second the previous posts, but have a few thoughts to add.

    Regarding instructional videos, I don't find them very useful. I'd highly recommend Barnett's set of
    Manuals (although you don't really need the last, 4th volume, since it's just worksheets and and an
    appendix).

    Also, if you don't have a local bike shop to help you with acquiring tools, I highly recommend "Bike
    Tools Etc". They have a website:

    http://www.biketoolsetc.com/

    and are also good about answering bike tool questions over the phone.

    Finally, I would also suggest that you have the bottom bracket tapped and faced while you have the
    bike apart. The BB tube on my V-Rex was really a mess since the pre threaded BB tube actually has
    holes drilled into the threaded area when the triangulated frame is manufactured. You'll probably
    want to have this done at a shop since a BB tap and facing set goes for $400 to $500.

    Rick Moll