Tools for V-Rex Overhaul?

Greg Dunn

Guest
I want to overhaul my '99 V-Rex and would appreciate your assistance in helping me identify what
tools I need. I already have a good set of generic tools, and a few bike-specific tools including a
chain whip, chain tool, cone wrenches, allen wrenches, third hand, and a couple of different bicycle
multi-tools. I've also just ordered a truing stand.

So my question goes mostly to the specific tools I need to remove the crankset, headset, and rear
cassette, and anything special I might need for shifters and derailleurs. The crankset and front
derailleur are Shimano 105; the headset Ritchey; shifters, rear derailleur, and brakes are SRAM
9.; hubs are Shimano Deore LX.

Also: there's a bike repair video available, by Tom Cutherson. Anyone familiar with this? Know of
anything better?

Thanks!

--
Greg Dunn

Greg Dunn asked:

> So my question goes mostly to the specific tools I need to remove the crankset

105 crankset, if it's anything like mine, needs a large (8mm?) Allen key to remove the bolt and, if
said bolt is not self-extracting, a crank-puller. Park do a nice solid one. If you have the hollow
splined axle, you need either a different puller from that used on tapered axles or stuff a small
coin into the hole against the end of the axle prior to using the puller.

> headset

If it's threaded, a headset spanner in the appropriate size. Two are better than one when
reassembling.

> rear cassette

Cassette lock ring remover - Park is recommended - and large adjustable spanner

> and anything special I might need for shifters and derailleurs.

Should just require Allen keys

HTH

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

In article <_Jena.210499$OV.274535@rwcrnsc54>, "Greg says...

>I want to overhaul my '99 V-Rex and would appreciate your assistance in

>Also: there's a bike repair video available, by Tom Cutherson. Anyone familiar with this? Know of
>anything better?

I haven't seen Tom's video, but I did pratically memorize his book by in 1976 or so. Great
introduction to bikes.

Instructional videos are usually pretty low in content, so that I would recommend a book instead
unless you don't have any idea which way to turn a wrench. I have a number of books on bikes, and
for my money nothing beats Barnetts Manual ($88 from Amazon) for bike mechanics. It's overkill if
all you want are a few pictures on how to adjust brakes, but it has an amazing amount of info that
allows you to analyze and fix just about anything.

Steve Christensen

Greg Dunn wrote:
> I want to overhaul my '99 V-Rex and would appreciate your assistance ...

I'll second the previous posts, but have a few thoughts to add.

Regarding instructional videos, I don't find them very useful. I'd highly recommend Barnett's set of
Manuals (although you don't really need the last, 4th volume, since it's just worksheets and and an
appendix).

Also, if you don't have a local bike shop to help you with acquiring tools, I highly recommend "Bike
Tools Etc". They have a website:

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/

and are also good about answering bike tool questions over the phone.

Finally, I would also suggest that you have the bottom bracket tapped and faced while you have the
bike apart. The BB tube on my V-Rex was really a mess since the pre threaded BB tube actually has
holes drilled into the threaded area when the triangulated frame is manufactured. You'll probably
want to have this done at a shop since a BB tap and facing set goes for $400 to $500.

Rick Moll