Tools needed for taking/placing together bicycle

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ricitius, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Ricitius

Ricitius New Member

I want to learn more about bicycles. I was wondering if someone could list the tools needed for taking apart/putting back together my bicycles. Thank you kindly for reading this post.

Tags:

2. PeterF

PeterF New Member

A nice set of metric allen wrenches would be a good place to start, since this will cover your derailleurs, brakes, levers, seatpost, stem (and top cap). The Topeak Alien comes with all the allen wrenches you would need and it fits nicely in your pocket. When you want to move on to some larger items a cassette tool and chain whip make removing you're cassette a snap (not literally..) and a bb tool is nice to have. The campy bb tool is the same as their cassette tool, but Shimano makes two seperate tools. My Shimano tool works excellent with the headset wrench, but my campy tool requires a 25mm wrench. A pedal wrech is another tool that you might want to own as well as a chain tool and a spoke wrench. I wouldn't recommend trying to true your own wheels until you have had a chance to really learn about it. You can quickly trash a perfectly good rim, if you're not carefull. I use the Park tool website as my standard help desk. One word of advice. Be mindful of recommended torque. It is very easy to snap ti bolts, or crush a steerer tube, seat post or handlebar if you get too aggressive with a wrench.
    :eek:

3. Ricitius

Ricitius New Member

Thank you kindly PeterF. I'll get started looking for them online.

4. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Well, one of them is. Campy makes two different bb's, which require very different tools.

5. PeterF

PeterF New Member

My current set up, ('04 Campy Record), the tools are interchangeable. Given the extensive parts catalog for Campy, I would imagine that there are more than a few styles.

6. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Record, Chorus, and Centaur use the cassette tool. The rest use a wrench that goes around the outside. At least they made it obvious enough that you can't screw anything up by trying to use the wrong tool.