Toowoomba to Brisbane

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Adrian Cook, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. Adrian Cook

    Adrian Cook Guest

    Hi All,

    I have the opportunity to ride from Toowoomba to Brisbane (Sandgate) this
    Sunday. But I've never even driven this route let alone ridden it. I'm
    looking to find a good road bike route if one exists. Anyone who knows the
    route got any advice?

    Cheers

    Adrian

    Tags:

  2. "Adrian Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<jA[email protected]>...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have the opportunity to ride from Toowoomba to Brisbane (Sandgate) this
    > Sunday. But I've never even driven this route let alone ridden it. I'm
    > looking to find a good road bike route if one exists. Anyone who knows the
    > route got any advice?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Adrian

    I've never done it on a bike but have done it many times in a car and
    on motorbike. I'd recommend staying off the highway as much as
    possible. If you're a really hard core rider and didn't want to use
    the highway at all you could head north from Toowoomba to Hampton,
    Ravensbourne, down the range to Esk over Mt Glorious then through
    Samford etc. that would be a long day with some very steep climbing
    (triple chainring unless you're really strong) and watch out for
    motorbike riders who have forgotten it is not a racetrack. Otherwise
    you could go down the range on the highway to Brisbane then go on the
    back road through Gatton, Forest Hill, Laidley, Granchester, Rosewood,
    Ipswich cross the Brisbane river via either Colleges Crossing (more
    hills) or the Moggill ferry (free for bikes) then in to Brisbane,
    still a very long ride but no huge mountains. I'm sure there would be
    other ways too. Maybe someone else has some suggestions.

    All the best, let us know how it goes.

    Bruce Dickson.

  3. Adrian Cook

    Adrian Cook Guest

    "Bruce Dickson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Adrian Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...

    <snip>

    > All the best, let us know how it goes.
    >
    > Bruce Dickson.

    Thanks for the info Bruce,

    I've decided I'm going to drive it this time to check it out. Then next time
    I'll be a bit better prepared. I've never really enjoyed riding long
    distance on unfamiliar routes.

    Cheers

    Adrian