Top 10 Signs You Are A Chocoholic

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Charlie, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Charlie

    Charlie Guest

    http://www.click2houston.com/theweirdchronicles/2841955/detail.html

    Top 10 Signs You Are A Chocoholic

    10. You taught your kids that it is an annual tradition to give their mom chocolates on
    Presidents Day.

    11. You encouraged your kid to do a science fair project about the Harvard researchers who said that
    chocolate was the key to a longer life and then ate all his exhibits.

    12. In your chocolate-induced delirium, you thought that the finding that chocolate helps fight the
    presence of disease-causing free radicals referred to a recently escaped unkempt mailbomber.

    13. You intentionally sneak into the coffeeholics meeting instead to make sure you aren't cured of
    your addiction to chocolate.

    14. You only wear Choco Jeans.

    15. You put your husband's sign that said "The Key Is Moderation" in the "free box" at the last
    garage sale.

    16. You have a chocolate Labrador.

    17. The only reason you want to save the rain forest is to save the cocoa tree.

    18. You named your daughter Hershey.

    19. You encouraged everyone at the nursing home you work at to vote for "Bubba Fudge Brownie Sundae"
    at the ongoing Pillsbury Kids Bake-Off Contest and bused them them to Pillsbury's headquarters
    in Minneapolis to make sure they voted because they didn't have a computer.

    http://www.pillsburybaking.com/prodPromo/kbc_entries.aspx

    Tags:

  2. Brad Hill

    Brad Hill Guest

    Yikes. Hold onto that day job like grim death.

    Brad www.bradhill.com www.DigitalSongstream.com . "Charlie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > http://www.click2houston.com/theweirdchronicles/2841955/detail.html
    >
    > Top 10 Signs You Are A Chocoholic
    >
    > 10. You taught your kids that it is an annual tradition to give their mom chocolates on Presidents
    > Day.
    >
    > 9. You encouraged your kid to do a science fair project about the Harvard researchers who said
    > that chocolate was the key to a longer life and then ate all his exhibits.
    >
    > 8. In your chocolate-induced delirium, you thought that the finding that chocolate helps fight
    > the presence of disease-causing free radicals referred to a recently escaped unkempt
    > mailbomber.
    >
    > 7. You intentionally sneak into the coffeeholics meeting instead to make sure you aren't cured of
    > your addiction to chocolate.
    >
    > 6. You only wear Choco Jeans.
    >
    > 5. You put your husband's sign that said "The Key Is Moderation" in the "free box" at the last
    > garage sale.
    >
    > 4. You have a chocolate Labrador.
    >
    > 3. The only reason you want to save the rain forest is to save the cocoa tree.
    >
    > 2. You named your daughter Hershey.
    >
    > 1. You encouraged everyone at the nursing home you work at to vote for "Bubba Fudge Brownie
    > Sundae" at the ongoing Pillsbury Kids Bake-Off Contest and bused them them to Pillsbury's
    > headquarters in Minneapolis to make sure they voted because they didn't have a computer.
    >

    > http://www.pillsburybaking.com/prodPromo/kbc_entries.aspx

  3. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Charlie wrote:

    What is chocohol?

    Best regards, Bob

  4. Ken McM.

    Ken McM. Guest

    Charlie wrote:

    > http://www.click2houston.com/theweirdchronicles/2841955/detail.html
    >
    > Top 10 Signs You Are A Chocoholic

    LOL!

    > 3. The only reason you want to save the rain forest is to save the cocoa tree.

    article points out cocoa tree - rain forest relationship in the last paragraph: http://story.news-
    .yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/latimests/20040211/ts_latimes/ahearthealthyaffirmationfortheworldsc-
    hocoholics

    A Heart-Healthy Affirmation for the World's Chocoholics Wed Feb 11, 7:55 AM ET - Los Angeles Times
    via Yahoo! By Jon Marino Times Staff Writer

    WASHINGTON — Rather than using those dark delights to win the heart of another
    on Valentine's Day, chocolate lovers may want to take that beribboned box home
    to improve their own.

    Experts gathered Tuesday at the National Academy of Sciences to discuss the
    cocoa-based confection, which contains chemicals, called flavanols, shown to
    improve blood flow and reduce blood pressure.

    The 2004 Cocoa Symposium — sponsored by UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz, the National
    Institutes of Health, the Department of Health and Human Services and Mars
    Inc., the candy manufacturer — also examined ways to prevent disease in cacao
    plants, which produce the seeds that make chocolate and encourage the
    cultivation of the plants as a solution for depleting tropical vegetation.

    The potential health effects of flavanols were discovered two years ago, when
    studies of blood vessel function compared individuals who ate Dove dark
    chocolate — which has high levels of the chemicals — to those who ate
    chocolate with a lower amount of flavanols.

    Mars, Dove's manufacturer, used that research as the basis for CocoaVia, a low-
    fat, flavanol-rich snack that is being test-marketed and is currently only
    available online. An 80-calorie bar, which contains 100 milligrams of
    flavanols, is the first step toward creating a truly healthful chocolate, said
    Harold Schmitz, director of science at Mars.

    While recognizing the potential health benefits of chocolate, scientists also
    have noted that most commercially produced chocolate contains high levels of
    fats and sugars — which could negate the beneficial effects.

    "Most of the chocolate currently available is delightful and delicious, but
    it's not a health food," said Norman Hollenberg, a professor of medicine at
    Harvard Medical School. "But it's imminent, it's coming," he said of flavanol-
    enriched chocolates.

    Ten years of research, dozens of reviews in scientific journals and millions
    of dollars — no precise amount was given — have shown that through proper
    growing, fermenting, roasting and processing, healthful chocolate can be
    distilled, Schmitz said. Because Mars is privately held, he said, it can do
    research that investors in a publicly traded firm might consider wasteful.
    Flavanols also are found in apples and other plant-based products such as wine
    and green tea.

    The scientists also examined diseases in cacao plants, which cost the industry
    up to $1 billion annually. Molecular modification, said Raymond
    J. Schnell, supervisory research geneticist at the U.S. Department of
    Agriculture (news - web sites), has the potential to make cocoa plants more
    resistant to disease; naturally occurring fungi could also protect.

    Additionally, research conducted through a public/private partnership
    including UC Davis, Harvard University and the World Bank (news - web sites)
    has shown that family farmers in tropical regions can benefit from growing
    cacao while replenishing rain forests. Central and South American nations have
    most of the world's cacao production, but African and Southeast Asian
    countries contribute as well. "The goal is to get out of poverty, and to do so
    in a way that is environmentally benign," said the World Bank's James Bond.

    --

    Ken McM.

  5. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    I buy Callebaut semi-sweet by the 5 kilo block, do I qualify? :)

    JJ

    Charlie wrote:

    > http://www.click2houston.com/theweirdchronicles/2841955/detail.html
    >
    > Top 10 Signs You Are A Chocoholic
    >
    > 10. You taught your kids that it is an annual tradition to give their mom chocolates on Presidents
    > Day.
    >
    > 9. You encouraged your kid to do a science fair project about the Harvard researchers who said
    > that chocolate was the key to a longer life and then ate all his exhibits.
    >
    > 8. In your chocolate-induced delirium, you thought that the finding that chocolate helps fight
    > the presence of disease-causing free radicals referred to a recently escaped unkempt
    > mailbomber.
    >
    > 7. You intentionally sneak into the coffeeholics meeting instead to make sure you aren't cured of
    > your addiction to chocolate.
    >
    > 6. You only wear Choco Jeans.
    >
    > 5. You put your husband's sign that said "The Key Is Moderation" in the "free box" at the last
    > garage sale.
    >
    > 4. You have a chocolate Labrador.
    >
    > 3. The only reason you want to save the rain forest is to save the cocoa tree.
    >
    > 2. You named your daughter Hershey.
    >
    > 1. You encouraged everyone at the nursing home you work at to vote for "Bubba Fudge Brownie
    > Sundae" at the ongoing Pillsbury Kids Bake-Off Contest and bused them them to Pillsbury's
    > headquarters in Minneapolis to make sure they voted because they didn't have a computer.
    >
    > http://www.pillsburybaking.com/prodPromo/kbc_entries.aspx

  6. You forgot "You just can't live without chocohol"

    "Charlie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > http://www.click2houston.com/theweirdchronicles/2841955/detail.html
    >
    > Top 10 Signs You Are A Chocoholic
    >
    > 10. You taught your kids that it is an annual tradition to give their mom chocolates on Presidents
    > Day.
    >
    > 9. You encouraged your kid to do a science fair project about the Harvard researchers who said
    > that chocolate was the key to a longer life and then ate all his exhibits.
    >
    > 8. In your chocolate-induced delirium, you thought that the finding that chocolate helps fight
    > the presence of disease-causing free radicals referred to a recently escaped unkempt
    > mailbomber.
    >
    > 7. You intentionally sneak into the coffeeholics meeting instead to make sure you aren't cured of
    > your addiction to chocolate.
    >
    > 6. You only wear Choco Jeans.
    >
    > 5. You put your husband's sign that said "The Key Is Moderation" in the "free box" at the last
    > garage sale.
    >
    > 4. You have a chocolate Labrador.
    >
    > 3. The only reason you want to save the rain forest is to save the cocoa tree.
    >
    > 2. You named your daughter Hershey.
    >
    > 1. You encouraged everyone at the nursing home you work at to vote for "Bubba Fudge Brownie
    > Sundae" at the ongoing Pillsbury Kids Bake-Off Contest and bused them them to Pillsbury's
    > headquarters in Minneapolis to make sure they voted because they didn't have a computer.
    >

    > http://www.pillsburybaking.com/prodPromo/kbc_entries.aspx

  7. Sorry, THEY forgot. ;)

  8. zxcvbob wrote:

    > Charlie wrote:
    >
    > What is chocohol?
    >
    > Best regards, Bob

    Creme de cacao, perhaps?

    Kate

    --
    Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that
    smiles back, Until you bite their heads off.” What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all