Top 10 Signs You Are A Chocoholic

Charlie

Guest
http://www.click2houston.com/theweirdchronicles/2841955/detail.html

Top 10 Signs You Are A Chocoholic

10. You taught your kids that it is an annual tradition to give their mom chocolates on
Presidents Day.

11. You encouraged your kid to do a science fair project about the Harvard researchers who said that
chocolate was the key to a longer life and then ate all his exhibits.

12. In your chocolate-induced delirium, you thought that the finding that chocolate helps fight the
presence of disease-causing free radicals referred to a recently escaped unkempt mailbomber.

13. You intentionally sneak into the coffeeholics meeting instead to make sure you aren't cured of
your addiction to chocolate.

14. You only wear Choco Jeans.

15. You put your husband's sign that said "The Key Is Moderation" in the "free box" at the last
garage sale.

16. You have a chocolate Labrador.

17. The only reason you want to save the rain forest is to save the cocoa tree.

18. You named your daughter Hershey.

19. You encouraged everyone at the nursing home you work at to vote for "Bubba Fudge Brownie Sundae"
at the ongoing Pillsbury Kids Bake-Off Contest and bused them them to Pillsbury's headquarters
in Minneapolis to make sure they voted because they didn't have a computer.

http://www.pillsburybaking.com/prodPromo/kbc_entries.aspx

Yikes. Hold onto that day job like grim death.

news:[email protected]...

Charlie wrote:

> http://www.click2houston.com/theweirdchronicles/2841955/detail.html
>
> Top 10 Signs You Are A Chocoholic

LOL!

> 3. The only reason you want to save the rain forest is to save the cocoa tree.

article points out cocoa tree - rain forest relationship in the last paragraph: http://story.news-
.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/latimests/20040211/ts_latimes/ahearthealthyaffirmationfortheworldsc-
hocoholics

A Heart-Healthy Affirmation for the World's Chocoholics Wed Feb 11, 7:55 AM ET - Los Angeles Times
via Yahoo! By Jon Marino Times Staff Writer

WASHINGTON — Rather than using those dark delights to win the heart of another
on Valentine's Day, chocolate lovers may want to take that beribboned box home
to improve their own.

Experts gathered Tuesday at the National Academy of Sciences to discuss the
cocoa-based confection, which contains chemicals, called flavanols, shown to
improve blood flow and reduce blood pressure.

The 2004 Cocoa Symposium — sponsored by UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz, the National
Institutes of Health, the Department of Health and Human Services and Mars
Inc., the candy manufacturer — also examined ways to prevent disease in cacao
plants, which produce the seeds that make chocolate and encourage the
cultivation of the plants as a solution for depleting tropical vegetation.

The potential health effects of flavanols were discovered two years ago, when
studies of blood vessel function compared individuals who ate Dove dark
chocolate — which has high levels of the chemicals — to those who ate
chocolate with a lower amount of flavanols.

Mars, Dove's manufacturer, used that research as the basis for CocoaVia, a low-
fat, flavanol-rich snack that is being test-marketed and is currently only
available online. An 80-calorie bar, which contains 100 milligrams of
flavanols, is the first step toward creating a truly healthful chocolate, said
Harold Schmitz, director of science at Mars.

While recognizing the potential health benefits of chocolate, scientists also
have noted that most commercially produced chocolate contains high levels of
fats and sugars — which could negate the beneficial effects.

"Most of the chocolate currently available is delightful and delicious, but
it's not a health food," said Norman Hollenberg, a professor of medicine at
Harvard Medical School. "But it's imminent, it's coming," he said of flavanol-
enriched chocolates.

Ten years of research, dozens of reviews in scientific journals and millions
of dollars — no precise amount was given — have shown that through proper
growing, fermenting, roasting and processing, healthful chocolate can be
distilled, Schmitz said. Because Mars is privately held, he said, it can do
research that investors in a publicly traded firm might consider wasteful.
Flavanols also are found in apples and other plant-based products such as wine
and green tea.

The scientists also examined diseases in cacao plants, which cost the industry
up to $1 billion annually. Molecular modification, said Raymond
J. Schnell, supervisory research geneticist at the U.S. Department of
Agriculture (news - web sites), has the potential to make cocoa plants more
resistant to disease; naturally occurring fungi could also protect.

Additionally, research conducted through a public/private partnership
including UC Davis, Harvard University and the World Bank (news - web sites)
has shown that family farmers in tropical regions can benefit from growing
cacao while replenishing rain forests. Central and South American nations have
most of the world's cacao production, but African and Southeast Asian
countries contribute as well. "The goal is to get out of poverty, and to do so
in a way that is environmentally benign," said the World Bank's James Bond.

--

Ken McM.

I buy Callebaut semi-sweet by the 5 kilo block, do I qualify? :)

JJ

Charlie wrote:

> http://www.click2houston.com/theweirdchronicles/2841955/detail.html
>
> Top 10 Signs You Are A Chocoholic
>
> 10. You taught your kids that it is an annual tradition to give their mom chocolates on Presidents
> Day.
>
> 9. You encouraged your kid to do a science fair project about the Harvard researchers who said
> that chocolate was the key to a longer life and then ate all his exhibits.
>
> 8. In your chocolate-induced delirium, you thought that the finding that chocolate helps fight
> the presence of disease-causing free radicals referred to a recently escaped unkempt
> mailbomber.
>
> 7. You intentionally sneak into the coffeeholics meeting instead to make sure you aren't cured of
> your addiction to chocolate.
>
> 6. You only wear Choco Jeans.
>
> 5. You put your husband's sign that said "The Key Is Moderation" in the "free box" at the last
> garage sale.
>
> 4. You have a chocolate Labrador.
>
> 3. The only reason you want to save the rain forest is to save the cocoa tree.
>
> 2. You named your daughter Hershey.
>
> 1. You encouraged everyone at the nursing home you work at to vote for "Bubba Fudge Brownie
> Sundae" at the ongoing Pillsbury Kids Bake-Off Contest and bused them them to Pillsbury's
> headquarters in Minneapolis to make sure they voted because they didn't have a computer.
>
> http://www.pillsburybaking.com/prodPromo/kbc_entries.aspx

You forgot "You just can't live without chocohol"

zxcvbob wrote:

> Charlie wrote:
>
> What is chocohol?
>
> Best regards, Bob

Creme de cacao, perhaps?

Kate

--
Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that
smiles back, Until you bite their heads off.” What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all