Top 10 Things Not To Eat While Cycling

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
I thought this was quite well done!
big-smile.png

0.jpg

Definitely funny, I've seen a guy eating an ice cream cone on a ride =) I thought the salad one was great

I think beer is a no-brainer because of your drinking any count of alcohol while your cycling your going to suffer major issue immediately. Youhave to make sure that you're putting yourself in a position to increase your energy not to lower it.

Beer and any form of alcohol is definitely a no-no. Treat biking the same way that you would treat driving. For me, biking is even worse because it is your body that's totally exposed, you are not enclosed in the structure of a car. If you get into an accident, the potential damage is definitely bigger. I would not take any of that risk.

Also, too much carbs can make your body really sluggish and you will notice that you will get tired easily even when you have just biked for a short period of time.

I wouldn't advice anyone to eat anything while riding a bike especially when training. That would be sheer arrogance. One is prone to have accidents as one doesn't have full control of the bike and one's focus is not 100 per cent. Taking a drink would be understandable as you can put the bottle away in it's holder and regain full control.

This definitely gave me a laugh. I suggest not consuming alcohol or beer while training for a race or just even casual biking. Alcohol can do weird things to your brain, which is one of the reasons I do not drink it at all. Water is such a better alternative, and hydrates me enough.

Excellent video, I laughed a lot. I don't really like to eat anything while cycling, mainly because I feel like it breaks my concentration and ruins my pace. Just water is enough to keep me going for hours. I imagine people training seriously would want something with a lot of carbs

The video is wonderful. It definitely made me laugh and I totally think it is quite great. I do believe that one can get through the day if they see something so funny. I think it is awesome and totally worth it.

LOL Very funny video! Those guys do such an amazing job getting the information out to the people about biking in such a fun and humerous manner! You should check out more of those videos by them, they are fantastic!

jeremy2 said:
I wouldn't advice anyone to eat anything while riding a bike especially when training. That would be sheer arrogance. One is prone to have accidents as one doesn't have full control of the bike and one's focus is not 100 per cent. Taking a drink would be understandable as you can put the bottle away in it's holder and regain full control.
Yeah, I always find balancing a pasta dinner on the handlebars a tad tricky. It took a few rides to get there but I managed it.

Things like small pre-packaged sandwiches, snacks, bananas etc are easily consumed without falling off and take less concentration than drinking, as demonstrated when riding along pitch dark country roads at night. Getting food out of your pocket is easy, getting your bottle back in the cage isn't always as easy when the nearest street light is 20 miles away and you gotta feel for it. Maybe I just need a strip of hair along the top of the bottle cage...

Here is a story:
The first or second time i rode more than fifty miles on my bike on a hot summer day I thought it be a good idea to take a break and get a banana milkshake, so I rode around fifty miles and had my fill; however, i still had a good twenty or so miles back to my house. I was parched, looking forward to that nice cold creamy reward for getting through the hard part of the ride. I was in my glory drinking that milkshake on that hot day.

It then was time to head out and back home. At first I was feeling alright, and wham... five miles from that tasty treat my stomach started to hurt my legs became lead the sun felt fifty degrees warmer and I started sweating custard. I think I averaged around 10mph on the ride back and was in agony the entire time. I have never cursed ice cream before but on that ride I SCREAM, and screamed a lot!

So, in short, milkshakes are a NO GO pre or mid ride. A nice chocolate milk post ride however, Gods glory!

I thought you were serious about this one. But if I have to say if there is any type of food that I do not eat before or during a long bike ride, has to be without a doubt, any and all diary products.

If you are even slightly or remotely lactose intolerant, you do not want to suck down any dairy products. During the ride you might get the sudden and explosive urge to use the bathroom.

Excellent video. I found it 'educational' and entertaining. I definitely had a good laugh. I personally don't eat anything while cycling. I like keeping both my hands on the handlebars at all time.

Why don't you add some cream cheese and smear it all over each other lips while you are at it. I thought this was going to be a real list.