Top 11 American Riders since 1980

Russ Baxter

Guest
In the following order, for discussion purposes only:

1. Lemond
2. Armstrong
3. Hampsten
4. Hamilton
5. Hincapie
6. Phinney
7. Keifel
8. Boyer
9. Rodriquez
10. Julich
11. Vaughters

[email protected] (Russ Baxter) wrote:

> 6. Phinney

I do not remember this guy at all. Did he ever race in Europe?

>11. Vaughters

I think that Leipheimer has been overall a better rider than Jonathan.

Julich's third place finish in the 1998 Tour de France, must surely put him ahead of Hincapie, and
possibly Hamilton -- At least at this stage of Hamilton's career.

Oh, and glaringly -- Armstrong is number one.

"Russ Baxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In the following order, for discussion purposes only:
>
> 1. Lemond
> 2. Armstrong
> 3. Hampsten
> 4. Hamilton
> 5. Hincapie
> 6. Phinney
> 7. Keifel
> 8. Boyer
> 9. Rodriquez
> 10. Julich
> 11. Vaughters

Strike Boyer, he's a convicted child molester. He used the french he learned in europe to lure young
girls into his web of evil.

> 1. Lemond
> 2. Armstrong
> 3. Hampsten
> 4. Hamilton
> 5. Hincapie
> 6. Phinney
> 7. Keifel
> 8.
> 9. Rodriquez
> 10. Julich
> 11. Vaughters

Davis Phinny was Team 7-11's designated sprinter. He rode the Tour several times and I know he won
at least one stage in the first year. Could have been more. He didn't race a lot in Europe other
than the major Tours with 7-11 but won just about all there was to win in the US.

"Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Russ Baxter) wrote:
>
> >6. Phinney
>
> I do not remember this guy at all. Did he ever race in Europe?

"Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Russ Baxter) wrote:
>
> > 6. Phinney
>
> I do not remember this guy at all. Did he ever race in Europe?

Motoroller. He won the etape into Bordeux in 1986.

> >11. Vaughters
>
> I think that Leipheimer has been overall a better rider than Jonathan.

I agree.

Davide Tosi <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] (Russ Baxter) wrote:

>> 6. Phinney

> I do not remember this guy at all. Did he ever race in Europe?

A member of the original 7/11 team. One 2 stages of TdF, and an Olympic bronze, Pan American gold.
From Velo here are his palmares:

300 National and International Category 1 and Professional victories. These victories include:
1979-88 all time record holder in Red Zinger/Coors International Bicycle Classic with 22 individual
stage wins; 1981-87 seven time sprint points competition winner in Coors International; 1986 first
American to win a road stage in the Tour de France; 1987 Tour de France stage winner; 1988 Coors
International Bicycle Classic overall winner; 1988 Tour of the Americas overall winner and sprint
points winner including three stage wins; 1988 Tour de France 2nd place in green jersey points
competition; 1989 Tour de Trump two stage wins; 1991 Tour de Pont stage winner and overall sprint
points competition winner.

>>11. Vaughters

> I think that Leipheimer has been overall a better rider than Jonathan.

>> 1. Lemond
>> 2. Armstrong
>
>Oh, and glaringly -- Armstrong is number one.

I go with LeMond number one. If not for being held back in '85 and the gunshot wound in '87, he'd
have one third place and 6 TdF victories. He was a more complete racer too, IMHO.

Doug

Callistus Valerius wrote:
> Strike Boyer, he's a convicted child molester.

It doesn't affect his accomplishments as a rider. It does affect his accomplishments as a human.

Dan

"Arthg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (Russ Baxter) wrote:
> >
> > > 6. Phinney
> >
> > I do not remember this guy at all. Did he ever race in Europe?
> >

> Motoroller. He won the etape into Bordeux in 1986.

Err?

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:02:35 GMT, "jc6239" <[email protected]_nospam> wrote:

>Davis Phinny was Team 7-11's designated sprinter. He rode the Tour several times and I know he won
>at least one stage in the first year. Could have been more. He didn't race a lot in Europe other
>than the major Tours with 7-11 but won just about all there was to win in the US.

He also has nasty scar from crashing into the back of a car!

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary Never Forget:
http://www.politicsandprotest.org RSG Roll Call
http://www.rec-sport-golf.com/members/?rollcall=claryd

news:[email protected]...
> >> 1. Lemond
> >> 2. Armstrong
> >
> >Oh, and glaringly -- Armstrong is number one.
>
> I go with LeMond number one. If not for being held back in '85 and the gunshot wound in '87, he'd
> have one third place and 6 TdF victories. He was a more complete racer too, IMHO.
>
> Doug

Then you have to give some wins to Armstrong under the "woulda won" more races without cancer.

"Daniel Connelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> Callistus Valerius wrote:
> > Strike Boyer, he's a convicted child molester.
>
> It doesn't affect his accomplishments as a rider. It does affect his accomplishments as a human.
>
> Dan

What are you talking about w/r/t Boyer?

Nick Burns wrote:

> news:[email protected]...

>>>Oh, and glaringly -- Armstrong is number one.
>>
>>I go with LeMond number one. If not for being held back in '85 and the gunshot wound in '87, he'd
>>have one third place and 6 TdF victories. He was a more complete racer too, IMHO.
>>
>>Doug
>

> Then you have to give some wins to Armstrong under the "woulda won" more races without cancer.

Just be that way, then. I'm gonna give credit to Julich for "woulda won more" if he were faster.

"Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Davide Tosi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > [email protected] (Russ Baxter) wrote:
>
> >>6. Phinney
>
> > I do not remember this guy at all. Did he ever race in Europe?
>
> A member of the original 7/11 team. One 2 stages of TdF, and an Olympic bronze, Pan American gold.
> From Velo here are his palmares:
>
> 300 National and International Category 1 and Professional victories. These victories include:
> 1979-88 all time record holder in Red Zinger/Coors International Bicycle Classic with 22
> individual stage wins; 1981-87 seven time sprint points competition winner in Coors International;
> 1986 first American to win a road stage in the Tour de France; 1987 Tour de France stage winner;
> 1988 Coors International Bicycle Classic overall winner; 1988 Tour of the Americas overall winner
> and sprint points winner including three stage wins; 1988 Tour de France 2nd place in green jersey
> points competition; 1989 Tour de Trump two stage wins; 1991 Tour de Pont stage winner and overall
> sprint points competition winner.

The only victories that are going to matter to a European (whom you're replying to) are wins
in Europe.

"Russ Baxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In the following order, for discussion purposes only:
>
> 1. Lemond
> 2. Armstrong
> 3. Hampsten
> 4. Hamilton
> 5. Hincapie
> 6. Phinney
> 7. Keifel
> 8. Boyer
> 9. Rodriquez
> 10. Julich
> 11. Vaughters

I really like Vaughters, but why not make it "since 1975" and include George Mount for being
the first American to ride in a Grand Tour, and also for his 6th place on the Mount Royal
course in the Montreal Olympics -- which acocmplished the very rare feat of getting cycling on
American television, admittedly for a very, very short time. Helped pave the way for all the
above in Europe...

Also, Boyer has to rank above Keifel for his 12th place overall in the Tour, his near-miss at the
Goodwood worlds, and for allegedly being involved in the crash that broke Pascal Simon's arm in
the '83 tour.

TC

"Radar Inuit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Julich's third place finish in the 1998 Tour de France, must surely put him ahead of Hincapie, and
> possibly Hamilton -- At least at this stage of Hamilton's career.
>
> Oh, and glaringly -- Armstrong is number one.

I'll agree with this. You probably do have to put Armstrong at 1 for the simple reason that he has
won 4 (and soon to be 5, knock on wood) Tours.

Both are world champions. I don't know how Lemond did in the daily classics or other tours like the
Giro, Vuelta, and Tour de Suisse. Armstrong did win the Tour de Suisse a few years ago. The Tour de
Suisse is usually harder than the Vuelta.

Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Davide Tosi <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > I do not remember this guy at all. Did he ever race in Europe?
>>
>> A member of the original 7/11 team. One 2 stages of TdF, and an Olympic bronze, Pan American
>> gold. From Velo here are his palmares:
>>
>> 300 National and International Category 1 and Professional victories. These victories include:
>> 1979-88 all time record holder in Red Zinger/Coors International Bicycle Classic with 22
>> individual stage wins; 1981-87 seven time sprint points competition winner in Coors
>> International; 1986 first American to win a road stage in the Tour de France; 1987 Tour de France
>> stage winner; 1988 Coors International Bicycle Classic overall winner; 1988 Tour of the Americas
>> overall winner and sprint points winner including three stage wins; 1988 Tour de France 2nd place
>> in green jersey points competition; 1989 Tour de Trump two stage wins; 1991 Tour de Pont stage
>> winner and overall sprint points competition winner.

> The only victories that are going to matter to a European (whom you're replying to) are wins
> in Europe.

Then what could be crueler than being the first US rider to win a TdF stage?

"Tim Lines" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:ZIFTa.130497$ye4.91934@sccrnsc01...

> Nick Burns wrote:

> > news:[email protected]...

> >>I go with LeMond number one. If not for being held back in '85 and the gunshot wound in '87,
> >>he'd have one third place and 6 TdF victories. He was a more complete racer too, IMHO.
> >>
> >>Doug
> >

> > Then you have to give some wins to Armstrong under the "woulda won" more races without cancer.
> >

> Just be that way, then. I'm gonna give credit to Julich for "woulda won more" if he were faster.

There ya go. That sounds fair. I say we come up with a whole system of virtual wins with a virtual
point system, virtual prize list and a virtual fan base. This way we keep the real results and the
virtual results separate.

Is there anybody out there that wants to be the virtual president of the new international cycling
organization?

>>> 1. Lemond
>>> 2. Armstrong
>>
>>Oh, and glaringly -- Armstrong is number one.

> I go with LeMond number one. If not for being held back in '85 and the gunshot wound in '87, he'd
> have one third place and 6 TdF victories. He was a more complete racer too, IMHO.

After all the talk about ethics, if he hadn't delayed and done hos job in 85, he wouldn't have a
team and he'd have been hunted down in 86.