Top 5 Kitschy Food Joints

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Carrie-Lou Salt, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. I just got finished watching Top 5: Kitschy Food Joints, they picked the #1
    restaurant, Mai Kai (http://www.maikai.com/). Looked very *interesting*...
    :)

    Wondering if anybody has experienced the place?

    Carrie

    Tags:

  2. Vox Humana

    Vox Humana Guest

    "Carrie-Lou Salter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just got finished watching Top 5: Kitschy Food Joints, they picked the
    > restaurant, Mai Kai (http://www.maikai.com/). Looked very *interesting*...
    > :)
    >
    > Wondering if anybody has experienced the place?

    I haven't been to Mai Kai, but I have dined at a similar place in Columbus, Ohio called the Kahiki.
    These places look very similar. When I first moved the Columbus in 1971 theme restaurants were just
    starting to gain popularity. The Kahiki was THE place to go. I only had lunch at the Kahiki, and
    that after a dental appointment, but I didn't think the food was outstanding. It was an experience
    though, with a tropical storm with thunder and lightning and torch-twirling dancers. The Rainforest
    Cafe at the Disney Marketplace at Walt Disney World is a modern day version of the place in some
    respects. You can read about the Kahiki here: http://www.ohiopreservation.org/Kahiki.htm

  3. "Vox Humana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...

    > "Carrie-Lou Salter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    > > I just got finished watching Top 5: Kitschy Food Joints, they picked the
    > > restaurant, Mai Kai (http://www.maikai.com/). Looked very
    *interesting*...
    > > :)
    > >
    > > Wondering if anybody has experienced the place?
    >
    > I haven't been to Mai Kai, but I have dined at a similar place in
    Columbus,
    > Ohio called the Kahiki. These places look very similar. When I first
    moved
    > the Columbus in 1971 theme restaurants were just starting to gain popularity. The Kahiki was THE
    > place to go. I only had lunch at the Kahiki, and that after a dental appointment, but I didn't
    > think the food
    was
    > outstanding. It was an experience though, with a tropical storm with thunder and lightning and torch-
    > twirling dancers. The Rainforest Cafe at the Disney Marketplace at Walt Disney World is a modern
    > day version of the place in some respects. You can read about the Kahiki here:
    > http://www.ohiopreservation.org/Kahiki.htm

    Sold to Walgreens...hmmm

    The building was very interesting looking, would definetely stand out when you drove by it...

  4. Vox Humana

    Vox Humana Guest

    "Carrie-Lou Salter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Vox Humana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:%[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Carrie-Lou Salter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > berlin.de...
    > > > I just got finished watching Top 5: Kitschy Food Joints, they picked
    the
    > > > restaurant, Mai Kai (http://www.maikai.com/). Looked very
    > *interesting*...
    > > > :)
    > > >
    > > > Wondering if anybody has experienced the place?
    > >
    > > I haven't been to Mai Kai, but I have dined at a similar place in
    > Columbus,
    > > Ohio called the Kahiki. These places look very similar. When I first
    > moved
    > > the Columbus in 1971 theme restaurants were just starting to gain popularity. The Kahiki was THE
    > > place to go. I only had lunch at the Kahiki, and that after a dental appointment, but I didn't
    > > think the food
    > was
    > > outstanding. It was an experience though, with a tropical storm with thunder and lightning and
    > > torch-twirling dancers. The Rainforest Cafe
    at
    > > the Disney Marketplace at Walt Disney World is a modern day version of
    the
    > > place in some respects. You can read about the Kahiki here:
    > > http://www.ohiopreservation.org/Kahiki.htm
    > >

    > Sold to Walgreens...hmmm
    >
    > The building was very interesting looking, would definetely stand out when you drove by it...

    The area surrounding the restaurant is filled with vacant businesses and old strip malls. It's not
    like we don't already have a CVS or Walgreen's on every corner. I don't understand how they stay in
    business, let alone build more!

  5. On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:39:55 GMT, "Vox Humana" <[email protected]>
    arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

    >I haven't been to Mai Kai, but I have dined at a similar place in Columbus, Ohio called the Kahiki.

    <snippidy>

    Hmmmm, will be in Columbus visiting my brand new first grandchild the weekend of April 2 and would
    like to treat the parents to dinner out (babysitting included). Is this someplace that would be
    *special* - and anywhere *near* Powell/Dublin?

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as old as the bird, and if the
    bird's breasts had been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very good dinner." Anonymous.

    To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"