Top 5 Mountain Bike Brands?

overhellbaitre

May 30, 2015
I'm in the market for a good mountainbike. So of course, I'd set my sights on the top 5 brands. Im thinking of buying a Jamis Crosscountry bike. Is the Jeep brand good ?

Reactions: 1Deborahcef
Norco, Trek, Specialized, Giant and.. Kona! Yes I know Kona isn't on top like they used to be but I still like them.

overhellbaitre said:
I'm in the market for a good mountainbike. So of course, I'd set my sights on the top 5 brands. Im thinking of buying a Jamis Crosscountry bike. Is the Jeep brand good ?
"Jeep" is not a bicyle brand, per se ...

Regardless, a "Jeep" branded bicycle will NOT be a good mountain bike.

FWIW. There are apparently three (three-and-and-half if you categorize the GT's i-drive, separately) types of rear suspension linkage ...

Consequently, when buying a MTB your concern should probably be with the type of suspension AND (perhaps more importantly) the quality of the suspension components rather than this-or-that brand ...

FOX rear shocks may-or-may-not be the best ...

Most MARZOCCHI, ROCK SHOX, MANITOU, FOX, etc. suspension forks are good ...

Some SR forks may (finally) be better than they used to be ...

If you don't need a bike with a rear suspension, then don't buy a bike with one UNLESS it has recognizable, "name brand" rear shock (i.e., expect to pay MORE THAN $1000 for a low end full suspension bike ... probably, expect to spend more than $2000 at your LBS for a good full suspension MTB ... and, thousands more for a great, full suspension MTB) ...

Expect to pay more than $700 for a Hardtail from your LBS.

Currently, this is the top 5 brand list of bikes:

Specialized
Giant
Kona
Novarra
Ironhorse

After these, the quality starts to dip

Personally, Id stick with the big name brands. Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Giant, etc. They are sobig and buy so much inventory to spec bikes, they will always come out cheaper and better than average. Jamis, Scott, K2, etc are a bit smaller, so they tend to be more expensive for comparable spec. Jamis definitely has nice frames, so if you can pick up a Jamis that you like, go for it.

Well, you are not going to get that much for 500 bucks. JEEP IS NOT A GOOD BRAND. It is better to get a reputable brand like Jami or Kona but first you have to decide on what you are going to use this bike for. The main categories are trail bikes,cross country race bikes, black diamond bikes,downhill bikes,mountain cross bikes and jump bikes. If you are just going around the trail now and then there is no point in buying anything other that a trail bike. The rest are expensive and unpractical. I would recommend a Specialized ,GT,Kona,Trek or Jamis is fine. Look for something with disk brakes,aluminum frame,decent front fork with more than 3 inches of travel and a rear shock but you are going to spend more money for the nicer features. Buy from a reputable dealer and don't make any hasty decisions. If you need more information buy any mountain bike magazine buyers guide or go to a dealer.

overhellbaitre said:
Yes "Jeep" is certanily not a real bike brand. Most likely is that it's pumped out of the same factory that makes bikes for Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire ect and just added different marketing.

I would recommend:

1 k2 (i have one, but they are about 800 dlls)
2 trek, an average 3500 costs about 250 dlls
3 specialized, the rockhopper is on the middle (350 dlls)
4 schwin, not the best but it does the job (200 dlls)
5 jamis, normal
jeep brand sucks, they are very expensive compared with the componentts that it has

[SIZE=11pt]Well me, myself am in the market for a very special Devinci Spartan Carbon SX. The second contender for me would be the Jones 29+, but the jeep brands of bikes are not very good for trails. A few of the good brands have been mentioned above Specialized, Giant, Kona, and Trek. The jeep brand bikes are the best on the higher end though a bike buddy of mine has one and it’s a bit pricey but I say that’s the way to go if you’re going to get a good trail bike. But I would stick with the other brands for a trail bike. [/SIZE]

How do you measure "top" and in what discipline of mountain biking? And we're talking in the U.S.?

I only saw one list that had Ibis on the list. I would probably put Ibis at #1. Very high end brand, not very common. Super Awesome bikes.

after that there are a ton of companies that all make really nice high end bikes in a variety of disciplines. BMC, Specialized, Davinci, Trek, Giant, Kona, Santa Cruz, Salsa, Scott, Felt, Marin...

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
I think german made bikes are the best for me, some are really cheap but really good especially for mountains.

ABNPFDR said:
How do you measure "top" and in what discipline of mountain biking? And we're talking in the U.S.?

I only saw one list that had Ibis on the list. I would probably put Ibis at #1. Very high end brand, not very common. Super Awesome bikes.

after that there are a ton of companies that all make really nice high end bikes in a variety of disciplines. BMC, Specialized, Davinci, Trek, Giant, Kona, Santa Cruz, Salsa, Scott, Felt, Marin...
Right on there really isn't a top, and even asking about 5 is going to leave some awesome company's out, especially considering there are some really cool smaller bike makers that will not get mentioned. Also some of the smaller operations have a smaller product offering. However they tend to have a very specialized set of bikes, focusing on making one or two bikes for a very specific category. Blk Mrkt is one that comes to my mind right away.
I guess this thread is more about opinion's and popularity, everyone is just going to pick their favorite brands.
So OP is asking because he says he's new to the market and I am presuming want's to learn about different brands so he won't buy a garbage ride.
I'm going to just do a quick list of all the brands I would say you can't buy a bad bike from, feel free to add some in I forgot!
Here we go:
Trek, Specialized, Kona,Santa Cruz, Rocky Mountain, Norco, Marin, Mongoose, Yeti, Giant, NS, Cannondale, GT, Devinci, Commencal, Intense, Diamondback, KHS, Cove, GT,Eastern, Transition, Niner, KTM and Nukeproof.
This list is in no way even close to exhaustive.

The top five mountain bike brands in my country India are as follows :

1.giant
2.trek
3.schwin
4.atlas
5.avon

Giant exports for the best mountain bikes in my country where as trek has better customer service.

This thread is tempting me to buy a new mountain bike, hahahaaa. But honestly, I am biding time because I am not sure if I still can ride a bike since I had been having this small bump on my leg. The swelling is like a small plum at the back of my leg and it is giving me pain. It appears once a week and goes away after 2 days of applying hot compress on it. Well, so much for the problem and let's get back to the topic.

arghyadeep said:
The top five mountain bike brands in my country India are as follows :

1.giant
2.trek
3.schwin
4.atlas
5.avon

Giant exports for the best mountain bikes in my country where as trek has better customer service.
Good ones.

I love the mountain bike. I have two. I prefer the cheaper one. The other one I paid about $750 for. The cheap one is from Target it was under $100. It's a little harsh in here almost like the Porsche guy with the chevy guy. I mean just try them out and see it's all good. What I find is either really cheap or really super expensive is best. If you are going to go for an $800 bike, you are better off to look at a higher range like $1200 and up. If you are going to spend that much on bike you might as well go for the gusto. The workmanship and smoothness of a bike in that range blows away the rest. You need to ride them everyone's taste is different.

I've been wrenching bikes for 40+ years, and although the quality of bikes sold at Target isn't bad, the assembly, lube, and adjustment suck in all the Target stores I have visited. Target uses contract bike assemblers(believe me not good), not bike mechanics! So what you recieve is an improperly assembled, and adjusted bike!
Cheers

Hey guys, I'm kind of new to mountain biking. I was considering buying a new bike (mountain) to replace my old BMX. However, I'm not sure on what would be a suitable choice of bike. Any ideas or tips about this anyone?