Top Loin Boneless Pork Roast - HELP

Doug

Guest
I'm doing a Pork Loin-Top Loin Roast Boneless (rolled & tied). It's 4
pounds. It's about 4 inches in diameter.

Most recipes call for 20 minutes a pound at 325/350.

My recipe calls for 45 minutes at 425. I don't think this is long
enough. Is it?

Am doing this for a dinner tonight and need some input as I have several
other dishes to time with this.

Thanks in advance,

Doug

"Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm doing a Pork Loin-Top Loin Roast Boneless (rolled & tied). It's 4
> pounds. It's about 4 inches in diameter.
>
> Most recipes call for 20 minutes a pound at 325/350.
>
> My recipe calls for 45 minutes at 425. I don't think this is long
> enough. Is it?
>
> Am doing this for a dinner tonight and need some input as I have several
> other dishes to time with this.

A meat thermometer is essential in this situation.

--
Peter Aitken

Doug wrote:
> I'm doing a Pork Loin-Top Loin Roast Boneless (rolled & tied). It's 4
> pounds. It's about 4 inches in diameter.
>
> Most recipes call for 20 minutes a pound at 325/350.
>
> My recipe calls for 45 minutes at 425. I don't think this is long
> enough. Is it?
>
> Am doing this for a dinner tonight and need some input as I have several
> other dishes to time with this.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Doug

You want internal temp at least 120 and then let it rest for 15 minutes
or so; the temp will come up. You can serve it slightly pink, if the
group likes it like that.

45 minutes at 425 is probably about right - just check it with the
instant-read. Make sure you roast it on a rack in an open pan and
there's some fat on top - if it starts to get too dark on the top, just
lay a piece of foil over it. The recipes are based mostly on what was
popular/required in the mid-20th century - no need to cook pork until
it's all dried out. 80 minutes at 325 might work, but I like the
shorter time/higher temp, myself.

N.

I think with a roast like that, i'd use a meat thermometer as apposed
to an instant-read.
Roasting a piece of meat that size- you'd be sticking your hand in and
out of that hot oven continuously trying to keep track of the temp. not
to mention prolonging the process by having to keep the oven door open
longer and releasing the heat- not to mention the juices you'll lose
everytime you gouge it.
Also, unless you know for a fact that your guest will eat pork pink,
i'd suggest you get the temp. up to at least 135° before letting it
rest. Kev

Doug wrote:
> I'm doing a Pork Loin-Top Loin Roast Boneless (rolled & tied). It's 4
> pounds. It's about 4 inches in diameter.
>
> Most recipes call for 20 minutes a pound at 325/350.
>
> My recipe calls for 45 minutes at 425. I don't think this is long
> enough. Is it?

Not so much not long enough, it's too hot.

I don't think there is any such pork cut as "Loin-Top Loin Roast
Boneless"... you made that up.

Pork top loin refers to center cut loin chops, which of course includes
the bone, otherwise they'd not be chops.

To roast a pork loin use a meat thermometer, do not cook relying on
time... 325ºF is too low, it'll dry out before it's cooked through...
roast pork loin at 375ºF. Most folks cook pork too low/slow, then
blame their inability to cook on the pork not containing enough fat...
stop blaming and learn how to cook. Unlike beef roasts, pork roasts do
better when placed into the oven while fully cold from the fridge.
With pork roasts I prefer checking periodically with an in-sta read
thermometer than relying on a meat thermometer alone. Your roast
should require about 1 hr 45 mins, but check with that thermometer,
every oven is different.

http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatPorkLoin.html

kevnbro wrote:
> unless you know for a fact that your guest will eat pork pink,
> i'd suggest you get the temp. up to at least 135° before letting it
> rest. Kev

This is pork roast, not beef roast... at 135ºF pork roast is raw.

>This is pork roast, not beef roast... at 135ºF pork roast is raw.

A 4 lb. roast will continue to cook as it rests and the temp. will
rise 10 -15 degrees after being removed from the oven.
Meat cooked to medium is 160°, therefore a 4 lb. roast taken from the
oven at 135° will have an internal temp. of 145-150°- medium-rare
which is pink and cooked... not raw. Kev

Take a break . You don't have to be a **** all the time.

>10-15 degrees, you are so are full of ****. Hell, I've waited 2-3
>minutes for the temperature of 4 pounds of water to rise 10-15 degrees,
>while still on heat.

Life's just unfair to you Sheldon 'cause you're such an asshole.
I bet it's always raining at your house too, huh? Kev

Take a break . You don't have to be a **** all the time.

I stand corrected... Sheldon is right in that the meat will only rise
in temp. 3-5 degrees when resting... doesn't make him anyless an
asshole.... i'd still only cook the roast to about 145°. Kev

kevnbro wrote:
> I think with a roast like that, i'd use a meat thermometer as apposed
> to an instant-read.
> Roasting a piece of meat that size- you'd be sticking your hand in and
> out of that hot oven continuously trying to keep track of the temp. not
> to mention prolonging the process by having to keep the oven door open
> longer and releasing the heat- not to mention the juices you'll lose
> everytime you gouge it.
> Also, unless you know for a fact that your guest will eat pork pink,
> i'd suggest you get the temp. up to at least 135° before letting it
> rest. Kev

Maybe I should have said, YMMV. I don't have any problem judging when
to use my instant-read - takes a few seconds. I might have to check it
once before taking it out and doing a final read. YMMV.

I said, "if your guests like" pink - I didn't say it was required. I
find taking it out at 135 is too done for me. The portions towards the
outside of the roast will be really gray.

N.

Sheldon wrote:
> kevnbro wrote:
> > unless you know for a fact that your guest will eat pork pink,
> > i'd suggest you get the temp. up to at least 135° before letting it
> > rest. Kev

> This is pork roast, not beef roast... at 135ºF pork roast is raw.

Uh, Shel, no, it isn't. I don't eat pork raw. It is slightly pink and
very hot. Cooked. The only meat I cook to 160 is poultry.

N.

Nancy1 wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > kevnbro wrote:
> > > unless you know for a fact that your guest will eat pork pink,
> > > i'd suggest you get the temp. up to at least 135° before letting it
> > > rest. Kev

> > This is pork roast, not beef roast... at 135ºF pork roast is raw.

> no, it isn't. I don't eat pork raw. It is slightly pink and
> very hot. Cooked.

Wrong.

Sheldon wrote:
> Nancy1 wrote:
>
>>Sheldon wrote:

>>>This is pork roast, not beef roast... at 135ºF pork roast is raw.

>>no, it isn't. I don't eat pork raw. It is slightly pink and
>>very hot. Cooked.

> Wrong.

How brilliantly uninformative. Pork at 140° is medium. It's cooked,
juicy, tender and fully safe from any extremely unlikely trichinae. It
will surrender very light pink juices that will gel in the fridge.
Seasoned reasonably heavily and roasted at 250° means that there won't
be much in the way of pan drippings because the juices will still be in
the meat and the meat will be flavorful.

> The only meat I cook to 160 is poultry.
>
> Wrong.

Actually, It's a very good index for birds. All the bacteria to worry
about are long-since dead. The meat has firmed and is still very moist
and tender. The new wrinkle about chickens is that they'll almost all be
red or even bloody at the bone even when fully cooked, because of how
they're raised and killed nowadays. Full explanation here:
<http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Bloody-chik.html> It's a good example of
the fact that we aren't eating grandma's chicken anymore. Hers were
killed at 12 weeks or even older. Nowadays, it's 6 weeks or so for
commercial birds.

Pastorio