Top Loin Boneless Pork Roast - HELP

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Doug, Feb 7, 2006.

  1. Doug

    Doug Guest

    I'm doing a Pork Loin-Top Loin Roast Boneless (rolled & tied). It's 4
    pounds. It's about 4 inches in diameter.

    Most recipes call for 20 minutes a pound at 325/350.

    My recipe calls for 45 minutes at 425. I don't think this is long
    enough. Is it?

    Am doing this for a dinner tonight and need some input as I have several
    other dishes to time with this.

    Thanks in advance,

    Doug

    Tags:

  2. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm doing a Pork Loin-Top Loin Roast Boneless (rolled & tied). It's 4
    > pounds. It's about 4 inches in diameter.
    >
    > Most recipes call for 20 minutes a pound at 325/350.
    >
    > My recipe calls for 45 minutes at 425. I don't think this is long
    > enough. Is it?
    >
    > Am doing this for a dinner tonight and need some input as I have several
    > other dishes to time with this.

    A meat thermometer is essential in this situation.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  3. Nancy1

    Nancy1 Guest

    Doug wrote:
    > I'm doing a Pork Loin-Top Loin Roast Boneless (rolled & tied). It's 4
    > pounds. It's about 4 inches in diameter.
    >
    > Most recipes call for 20 minutes a pound at 325/350.
    >
    > My recipe calls for 45 minutes at 425. I don't think this is long
    > enough. Is it?
    >
    > Am doing this for a dinner tonight and need some input as I have several
    > other dishes to time with this.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Doug

    You want internal temp at least 120 and then let it rest for 15 minutes
    or so; the temp will come up. You can serve it slightly pink, if the
    group likes it like that.

    45 minutes at 425 is probably about right - just check it with the
    instant-read. Make sure you roast it on a rack in an open pan and
    there's some fat on top - if it starts to get too dark on the top, just
    lay a piece of foil over it. The recipes are based mostly on what was
    popular/required in the mid-20th century - no need to cook pork until
    it's all dried out. 80 minutes at 325 might work, but I like the
    shorter time/higher temp, myself.

    N.

  4. kevnbro

    kevnbro Guest

    I think with a roast like that, i'd use a meat thermometer as apposed
    to an instant-read.
    Roasting a piece of meat that size- you'd be sticking your hand in and
    out of that hot oven continuously trying to keep track of the temp. not
    to mention prolonging the process by having to keep the oven door open
    longer and releasing the heat- not to mention the juices you'll lose
    everytime you gouge it.
    Also, unless you know for a fact that your guest will eat pork pink,
    i'd suggest you get the temp. up to at least 135° before letting it
    rest. Kev

  5. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Doug wrote:
    > I'm doing a Pork Loin-Top Loin Roast Boneless (rolled & tied). It's 4
    > pounds. It's about 4 inches in diameter.
    >
    > Most recipes call for 20 minutes a pound at 325/350.
    >
    > My recipe calls for 45 minutes at 425. I don't think this is long
    > enough. Is it?

    Not so much not long enough, it's too hot.

    I don't think there is any such pork cut as "Loin-Top Loin Roast
    Boneless"... you made that up.

    Pork top loin refers to center cut loin chops, which of course includes
    the bone, otherwise they'd not be chops.

    To roast a pork loin use a meat thermometer, do not cook relying on
    time... 325ºF is too low, it'll dry out before it's cooked through...
    roast pork loin at 375ºF. Most folks cook pork too low/slow, then
    blame their inability to cook on the pork not containing enough fat...
    stop blaming and learn how to cook. Unlike beef roasts, pork roasts do
    better when placed into the oven while fully cold from the fridge.
    With pork roasts I prefer checking periodically with an in-sta read
    thermometer than relying on a meat thermometer alone. Your roast
    should require about 1 hr 45 mins, but check with that thermometer,
    every oven is different.

    http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatPorkLoin.html

  6. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    kevnbro wrote:
    > unless you know for a fact that your guest will eat pork pink,
    > i'd suggest you get the temp. up to at least 135° before letting it
    > rest. Kev

    This is pork roast, not beef roast... at 135ºF pork roast is raw.

  7. kevnbro

    kevnbro Guest

    >This is pork roast, not beef roast... at 135ºF pork roast is raw.

    A 4 lb. roast will continue to cook as it rests and the temp. will
    rise 10 -15 degrees after being removed from the oven.
    Meat cooked to medium is 160°, therefore a 4 lb. roast taken from the
    oven at 135° will have an internal temp. of 145-150°- medium-rare
    which is pink and cooked... not raw. Kev

  8. Take a break . You don't have to be a dick all the time.

  9. kevnbro

    kevnbro Guest

    >10-15 degrees, you are so are full of shit. Hell, I've waited 2-3
    >minutes for the temperature of 4 pounds of water to rise 10-15 degrees,
    >while still on heat.

    Life's just unfair to you Sheldon 'cause you're such an asshole.
    I bet it's always raining at your house too, huh? Kev

  10. Take a break . You don't have to be a dick all the time.

  11. kevnbro

    kevnbro Guest

    I stand corrected... Sheldon is right in that the meat will only rise
    in temp. 3-5 degrees when resting... doesn't make him anyless an
    asshole.... i'd still only cook the roast to about 145°. Kev

  12. Nancy1

    Nancy1 Guest

    kevnbro wrote:
    > I think with a roast like that, i'd use a meat thermometer as apposed
    > to an instant-read.
    > Roasting a piece of meat that size- you'd be sticking your hand in and
    > out of that hot oven continuously trying to keep track of the temp. not
    > to mention prolonging the process by having to keep the oven door open
    > longer and releasing the heat- not to mention the juices you'll lose
    > everytime you gouge it.
    > Also, unless you know for a fact that your guest will eat pork pink,
    > i'd suggest you get the temp. up to at least 135° before letting it
    > rest. Kev

    Maybe I should have said, YMMV. I don't have any problem judging when
    to use my instant-read - takes a few seconds. I might have to check it
    once before taking it out and doing a final read. YMMV.

    I said, "if your guests like" pink - I didn't say it was required. I
    find taking it out at 135 is too done for me. The portions towards the
    outside of the roast will be really gray.

    N.

  13. Nancy1

    Nancy1 Guest

    Sheldon wrote:
    > kevnbro wrote:
    > > unless you know for a fact that your guest will eat pork pink,
    > > i'd suggest you get the temp. up to at least 135° before letting it
    > > rest. Kev

    > This is pork roast, not beef roast... at 135ºF pork roast is raw.

    Uh, Shel, no, it isn't. I don't eat pork raw. It is slightly pink and
    very hot. Cooked. The only meat I cook to 160 is poultry.

    N.

  14. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Nancy1 wrote:
    > Sheldon wrote:
    > > kevnbro wrote:
    > > > unless you know for a fact that your guest will eat pork pink,
    > > > i'd suggest you get the temp. up to at least 135° before letting it
    > > > rest. Kev

    > > This is pork roast, not beef roast... at 135ºF pork roast is raw.

    > no, it isn't. I don't eat pork raw. It is slightly pink and
    > very hot. Cooked.

    Wrong.

  15. Sheldon wrote:
    > Nancy1 wrote:
    >
    >>Sheldon wrote:

    >>>This is pork roast, not beef roast... at 135ºF pork roast is raw.

    >>no, it isn't. I don't eat pork raw. It is slightly pink and
    >>very hot. Cooked.

    > Wrong.

    How brilliantly uninformative. Pork at 140° is medium. It's cooked,
    juicy, tender and fully safe from any extremely unlikely trichinae. It
    will surrender very light pink juices that will gel in the fridge.
    Seasoned reasonably heavily and roasted at 250° means that there won't
    be much in the way of pan drippings because the juices will still be in
    the meat and the meat will be flavorful.

    > The only meat I cook to 160 is poultry.
    >
    > Wrong.

    Actually, It's a very good index for birds. All the bacteria to worry
    about are long-since dead. The meat has firmed and is still very moist
    and tender. The new wrinkle about chickens is that they'll almost all be
    red or even bloody at the bone even when fully cooked, because of how
    they're raised and killed nowadays. Full explanation here:
    <http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Bloody-chik.html> It's a good example of
    the fact that we aren't eating grandma's chicken anymore. Hers were
    killed at 12 weeks or even older. Nowadays, it's 6 weeks or so for
    commercial birds.

    Pastorio