Top Speed ?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Andrew Mc, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Andrew Mc

Andrew Mc New Member

Drafting can be real scary! It's real gresat for maintaining speed over distance though.

A flat sprint at 37mph is really impressive - especially if you are an old fart!

Respect!

2. Andrew Mc

Andrew Mc New Member

116kph is another really great figure, about 72mph!
    What bike were you riding? and where?

I think I may have to re-calibrate what I now consider fast!

Has anyone bettered 80mph? - I surely would have to take them out for a beer or two! ;-)

3. TiLee

TiLee New Member

I regularly hit in the low 40's as I live on Hill road. During Bike Virginia this summer I set my personal record of 58 mph. Was pushing for 60, but I was riding up on someone's tail. Lotta faith for an aethiest.

4. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

"SHAT"? Now there's a word I haven't heard in quite a while.... :D

5. newcarguy

newcarguy New Member

Don't know for sure but probably over 60 mph. From Holmfirth taking a hill road towards Oldham one night. Got on top of the hill, more of a plateu, with a terrible headwind - lucky to make 10mph. As I got to going down the other side, turned around with the wind now behind me. on 52/14 pedaled so fast, almost coming off the bike, could feel every undulation in the straight road. Incredible.

Also, coming down Kirkstone pass towards Ambleside, there's a 1 in 5 section, then it goes up slightly then down again. I've frequently gone fast enough to take off just before this down section after the slight up-bit, if that makes sense. Also, further down, its still steep and straight where you can go full tilt. Need to swallow a brave-pill cos of the narrow road and stone walls on either side, though it's worth it for the sheer unadulterated fun of it.

Mark

6. fat climber

fat climber New Member

Church Road is near a town in N.Ireland Called Holywood. I was riding a Custom Terry Dolan with spinergys on it. Just after the real steep straight bet there is a slight up hill that helps you control your speed. So slowing down is not as bad as it sounds. Even with Oakleys on my eyes still pi**ed with water at the end. 12 1/2 stone + 53x11 turning at start helped. :cool:

7. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

8. Andrew Mc

Andrew Mc New Member

9. idler

idler New Member

80MPH? How does 135KPH sound (coverts to about 84MPH), the bike a 96' Trek 1000 was on the rack of a Ford Explorer at the time and we were running late..... does this count?

10. ghostpedal

ghostpedal New Member

O.K. I know some people won't believe, but when I was in the Navy I made it to Maui and myself and some buddies went up Mount Haleakala on road bikes and then went down a few hours later. The road is 38 miles long, and all of it a decent grade (I don't know the exact figure). I was riding a Cannondale R2000 at the time (I had a $400 car and a $3500 bike when single). My little blue Avocet computer was set to MPH, and on a certain straight section, it climbed to 99.9 MPH, but I was still accelerating. Looking back on it, it's one of the stupidest things I have done. If I had flatted I would have probably been killed. At the time it was great. We loved it so much that the next day we took mountain bikes up the same road, and on the way down I hit 63 MPH. I still remember the noise of all our knobby tires going that fast on tarmac. It was like a very loud yell. I would never do it again, but at least I have the very distinct memories. Ahh...youth.

11. darcipage

darcipage New Member

I hit 50.5 mph in a 25mph residential zone, glad no cars came out of any cross streets!

12. JTE83

JTE83 Member

I'm not concerned with downhill speeds. My top speeds are all flats no wind --
    03 Cervelo Soloist Team 32.9 mph, 05 Kestrel Talon 31.1 mph, 02 Giant TCR Aero 2 30.2 mph, Giant OCR 1 with 2 panniers 29.8 mph, Pacific mtn bike XT with 2 panniers 27.6 mph.

13. JTE83

JTE83 Member

I'm not concerned with downhill speeds. My top speeds are all flats no wind --
    03 Cervelo Soloist Team 32.9 mph, 05 Kestrel Talon 31.1 mph, 02 Giant TCR Aero 2 30.2 mph, Giant OCR 1 with 2 panniers 29.8 mph, Pacific mtn bike XT with 2 panniers 27.6 mph.

14. stevebaby

stevebaby New Member

15. velomanct

velomanct New Member

100mph on paved road? even I call BS. calibrate your speedometer buddy.

That road you were on, I'm pretty sure there is no grade over 25%.

You would need at least a 40% sustained downhill(in other words - a cliff) to get anywhere near that. And the only paved road in the world near that steep is Baldwin st in New Zealand.

Isn't terminal velocity for a skydiver something like 120mph?

I am all about going downhill fast, and someday I will ride that mtn in Maui. Just to see.

16. velomanct

velomanct New Member

My fastest on my road bike is 70mph, when drafting my friends Geo Tracker down a hill. It was the most fun I ever had, period. I completely spun out the 53x12

As for not drafting, my fastest was 59mph down Horton Hill in Naugatuck CT. I posted a video on this forum of that exact ride, do a search for it. It's too bad the road is crappy and not dead straight, low 60s would be possible. I dropped 400 vertical feet in less than 30 seconds.

17. Pat Lee

Pat Lee New Member

Above 35mph, it's all the same. On Highway 1 (Tour of California probably goes by this spot) outside of San Luis Obispo near the town's northern limit is a downhill that goes past the Sherriff's office. It's long, downhill and sometimes you get the tailwind. I used to get over 55mph (60 once) coming back into town. Such an awesome way to finish a ride! Of course, I was pedaling like crazy, but I recall there wasn't much power needed, just more gearing.

--Pat.

18. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

Managed to get myself up to 58km/hr in a sprint on the weekend.

19. netscriber

netscriber New Member

Hey any techies out here? Me being an engineer am wondering what could go wrong most quickly?
    The fork is what comes to my mind first. :eek:
    On that note I remember as a kid I watched this. Our postman ignored his bad fork bearings for too long and one fine day his fork snapped right around the corner. He lost 2 front teeth :eek: Was a horrible sight to watch as a kid. Maybe I should start a thread for "Worst seen cycling accidents"

20. netscriber

netscriber New Member

Yup more gearing is good on steep slopes for sure! My 50/34 compact FSA with Duraace 12-25 wont do it. Here in Santa barbara all roads are so windy I dont have the b$lls to go beyond 35-39ish even though we have slopes with heavy grades.