Top ten ways to look like a better cyclist than you are! :)

>maarten
>Tell your team mate you are tired and will lead him out.
>take the lead with 500 or 400m to go and take the bunch sprint yourself. >note done this more than once, you need to kinda fast for this.

Team mate? Not for long if you're doing that to them..

Get plenty of cars to drive fast in reverse past you.

Get plastic surgery to permanently set your face into a position
like skydivers get with their cheeks pushed back from the speed.

hippy

Steal a neighborhood kid's skateboarding ramp, use it to launch yourself from the garage. For more effect, get some firework smoke bombs and a strobe light from Spencer's, fill up the garage with the smoke, turn on the strobe, play some ominous music like God himself is on the bike, and go!

Take your cycling computer, strap it to your wrist. Then take the sensors from your wheels and cranks and strap them to your legs/feet. If someone asks why? Just tell them, you are working on keeping all aspects of speed, cadence, and distance, in perfect condition ON and OFF the bike.

Ok the childs play is over! Get a Dodge Viper knock off the fenders,yank the steering wheel and install drop bars ,pull the seats put in a Fizik saddle,run a cable from the fuel injection to the shift level. Slap a Colnago or Look sticker on the remaining frame(or whatever sticker you want) weld on some peddles. You the MAN!!! KICK A**!!

Hey, how about shaving the legs - the smooth look always makes one look good.....i think. Go Cape Town!:)
gdiza said:
HAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! good ones!
i like the whistle one

what i've noticed is, if u cycle and over take someone and shout something along the lines of "come on guys, keep up" or you say something motivational, they'll try stick with you and pop out some questions about "how long you been cycling" "how many argus's have you done" etc etc etc and i guess wearing my "south africa" cycling cloths also kinda helps in making other cyclists think i'm some hectic cyclist (which i want to be... eventually)

jaykay said:
Hey, how about shaving the legs - the smooth look always makes one look good.....i think. Go Cape Town!:)

Oh yeah!You have inspired me! Shave your own legs, your dogs legs,or cats and have him run along side when you ride and when you get finished with your ride show up with a razor at your neighbors and insist that he must shave his legs to be a good American in support of cycling otherwiswe he will be arrested for treason. "I am on roll"! Maybe a Bob Rolle! I'm sorry I am sick, but thats just me. Tommrow I will crash back to the reality that is Monady Morning.

I dont have a postal shirt. They dont make them large enough. The only thing i could wear is a big brown paper bag and being called a large package.

I know the type though. Great story!

birdman23 said:
I agree. There are these guys in my town who all wear full on Postal kits, the "Leader" dons a yellow jersey, they all ride Trek 5500's. One day I was leisurly riding with my sister on a local bike path and these guys come "screamin" by at about 18 mph and yelling at people to get out of the way. I almost fell over laughing. My sister and I got off the bike path and onto the main road. We ramped it up to about 25 mph on the flat and cruised to the top of a hill where the bike path ends. We got there and just sat and waited for the Blue Train to arrive. They came out of the path and saw us waiting there. Their faces looked like this :eek: The Maillot Jaune just ignored us when he went by. The domestiques both asked us how we got there because they didn't see us pass them on the trail. It was pretty funny. POSERS. I am sure every town has a Postal team in it!

I thought the bottle throwing should have been number 1. Can you imaging driving down the road and seeing a lone cyclist launching his only water bottle into a field! Ha ha ha

hippy said:
>maarten
>Tell your team mate you are tired and will lead him out.
>take the lead with 500 or 400m to go and take the bunch sprint yourself. >note done this more than once, you need to kinda fast for this.

Team mate? Not for long if you're doing that to them..

hippy

The first time was an accident at that time he was a guest rider in my team. Later I became guest rider in the team he was team leader off. It happend 2 more times. It just became a practical joke, wanna win a sprint, just lead David out.

We never had problems, just some laughs. Most times we lead eachother out we both finished top 5(of that group) even had some 1&2 placings. We split the cash and have laugh.

We are no team mates any more but thats for another reason. He offered me a spot on his team, I didn't take it because I commited to another team. Not much later I moved about 10000k and sadly got to ill to cycle.

Something that maybe help in keeping it funny. At that time we where racing at local level(Both being among the fasted sprinters in this league) in his country. We have both in the past raced on a higher level than that. Racing was about having fun and pulling jokes like that one on eachother. We didn't care that much who crossed the line first(of the 2 of us) as long as one of us beated the guys we didnn't like.

Six steps to impress:

1) Show up to a casual group ride with 3 friends and introduce them as your directeur sportif, mechanic and soigneur. Explain they will be following behind during the ride as your SAG wagon.

2) After introducing one of your friends as the directeur sportif, pretend to consult with him seriously before (and during - see below) the ride.

3) Wear an earphone taped to your ear and tuck the dangling wire into your jersey so nobody can see it's not connected. At opportune times during the ride, pretend to consult with your directeur sportif in hushed tones.

4) Glare at other riders and "evaluate" their level of fatigue as you ride. Also, refer to each mile as a "stage."

5) If you climb a hill - no matter how small - rip your helmet off and toss it aside for your SAG wagon to pick-up.

6) Near the end of your 20-mile ride, sprint ahead and throw your fists into the air back at the cars. Have your friends quickly exit the SAG wagon, grab your bike, give you a towel and lead you to the car where you are whisked away before others even finish the ride.

You'll be considered an a$$hole, but they'll just know you're serious... :D

bwaaaaahaaaaahaaaaaahhaaaaahaaaaahaaaaaa Bwaaaaaahaaaaahaaahaaaaaaahhhaaaaaaaaaaa...

My friends already know I'm an a#$hole...but these are great tips

First have a bay window installed in your bathroom(no curtains). Step two have a podium installed with the commode on the top level(guess you can see where this is giong) Every time you use the facilities have two podium girls kiss you and hand you flowers. You should wear a yellow jersey for full effect.
Everyone will know you are the leader. When CNN shows up ,be cool! :cool:

To cement your dominance as a mythic neighborhood living legend of cycling, when you go out on your ride, wear a woolen cycling Jersey (prefereably with Molteni or Virlux) on it, wrap your spare tire around your shoulders and use a stem mounted wire bottle cage. smear mud, dirt and blood on your face and use the round glass old style WWI motorcycle goggles...

Make sure your riding buddies call you a nickname that consists of the first syllable of your last name repeated such as "Poupou" (Poulidor) or "Cri-Cri" (Eugene Christophe)...

Overtake 20 trainee police motorcyclists on your bike... make sure you give their leader/instructor a little wave as you pass...

...they weren't going very fast (35kph) but it felt GREAT!!!

birdman23 said:
Robbie McEwan does it and it does look pretty cool even if he was about dead last! I saw Floyd Landis do it last year on the victory laps. Pretty impressive, at least to me cause I can't wheelie to save my life.

I saw a photo of Floyd doing his wheelie on the Champs Elysées....and falling off.

Here's another one....get ahead of your buddies on a long descent and then meet them at the bottom, with a bemused look on your face, holding an old speeding ticket.

Here's some more:

WITH THE FAMILY & FRIENDS:

Whenever you're invited to a pot-luck, bring a huge bowl of pasta and eat it all yourself.

When you go camping, have the wife and kids sleep in the camper, while you sleep outside in your altitude tent.

Give your dogs and cats names like Merxx, Hinault, Lemond & Indurain.

Get an aquarium with a bunch of slow schooling fish and one fast swimming yellow fish.

Get some deer, bison, and ram heads from a taxidermist and replace the antlers with various styles of handlebars before hanging them on your wall.

Tell your buddies you'll bring a couple of six-packs for poker night, and show up with two six-packs of Dasani.

Shave your entire body and get a full body tatoo of your favorite cycling team's kit.

AT WORK:

Wear your cycling gloves while using your computer keyboard at work. If your nose starts running, just wipe it on the back of your glove, or shoot a snot-rocket into your wastebasket.

Mount a bottle cage under your office chair, and from time to time take one hand off your keyboard to grab a drink while you continue to type full speed with the other hand.

Always make sure there's some granola bar wrappers on your office floor and a banana peel hanging haphazardly on the rim of your wastebasket.

Refer to your typing speed as "keyboard cadence".

Wear your camel back to office meetings, when others reach for their coffee or other drinks take a sip from your tube.

When someone enters your office while you've got your phone in your hand, hold up your finger to pause them and say "catch ya later Lance, give Sheryl my love and tell her last night's concert was spectacular", then hang up.

Frame some high price components in a shadow box and hang them on your office wall with tags referring to a pro cyclist's name, a date, and a tour name.

For "Secret Santa" gifts use things like chain lubricant, hex wrenches, tube repair kits, etc.

FOR BUSINESS OWNERS OR SUPERVISORS:

At quarterly meetings, award colored jerseys for top performers. Yellow for best overall, polka dot for acheiving a mountain load of work, etc.

If you're a supervisor, tell employees they can forget about taking time off during the TDF because that's "your special time". If your the owner, close the business during the TDF.

Use a lot of cycling jargon in business meetings -- things like "I want us to make the competition look like their spinning around in their granny gears".

Mandatory "cycling retreats" for all employees.

Shreklookalike said:
Here's some more:

You forgot the part about shaving your pets legs and smearing some axle grease on their legs to match chain marks.

jhuskey said:
Shreklookalike said:
Here's some more:

You forgot the part about shaving your pets legs and smearing some axle grease on their legs to match chain marks.
Another option would be getting cycling team jerseys for your dogs and taking them for walks with a yellow jerseyed dog in the lead.

Shreklookalike said:
FOR BUSINESS OWNERS OR SUPERVISORS:

At quarterly meetings, award colored jerseys for top performers. Yellow for best overall, polka dot for acheiving a mountain load of work, etc.

Ummm, I have actually done this with my people. Yellow Jersey for best overall, Poka Dot for most improvement, Green for third place, White for 2nd. I wasn't sure about the order, but it works. We had podium ceremonies and everything.