TOP TIP: don't re-use powerlinks.

rek

Aug 31, 2002
Hi guys, just a heads up.. when I last replaced my MTB chain after being about 3/32" worn over 12 inches, I didn't have any spare Powerlinks left, so I thought I'd just use my old one.

Well, it lasted for about 500km, then a few days ago, *snap* the rivet on one of the powerlinks came apart.

Fortunately, it happened barely 50 metres from leaving work, so there wasn't a long walk to the train station. :)

Unfortunately, the train line signals were broken and there was a half-hour delay in all trains .. and rapidly approaching peak hour :mad:

I had a Wipperman connecting link snap on me, the plates broke around the fixed end of the pin on both sides of the link.

So now I just carry a spare link in my tool kit. I am assuming the connecting link is the weakest link in the chain, and that will most likely to be where the chain is going to break, if it does, then I will just replace the link.

mike

rek said:
Hi guys, just a heads up.. when I last replaced my MTB chain after being about 3/32" worn over 12 inches, I didn't have any spare Powerlinks left, so I thought I'd just use my old one.

Well, it lasted for about 500km, then a few days ago, *snap* the rivet on one of the powerlinks came apart.

Fortunately, it happened barely 50 metres from leaving work, so there wasn't a long walk to the train station. :)

Unfortunately, the train line signals were broken and there was a half-hour delay in all trains .. and rapidly approaching peak hour :mad:
And ya wonder why sram tells ya not to do that.

lol, yeah I know. I actually got 5 of them in a mailorder package a week after putting the new chain on, and thought "oh well the old one seems to be holding up well enough, I won't bother changing it" :eek:

I purchased 3 SRAM powerlink 9 speed chains last year. All three broke at the link. It’s been awhile but if I recall correctly the links were quite difficult to snap together. I continued to use their product and since then I have had no problems.

I don't use any powerlinks or master links, period. Chainbreaking the thing and making a solid connection keeps me in good shape. Broken chains freak me out.

What type of chain do you use? Do you buy new pins if you use Shimano chains? I'll never go back to Shimano and have been happy with the versatility of powerlinks, especially if travelling or wanting to keep the chain clean or adjusting, etc. No way I want to spend $1 each time to pull the chain off.

Aggro Bikes said:
I don't use any powerlinks or master links, period. Chainbreaking the thing and making a solid connection keeps me in good shape. Broken chains freak me out.

I use mainly SRAM chains- I just don't use the powerlink that comes with them. I make a solid connection with the chainbreaker. I race, and have broken several different makes of chain over the years.

So SRAM says it's ok to reuse pins after pushing them out? It sounds like you've got empirical data supporting this. Why did Shimano go the other direction?

Aggro Bikes said:
I use mainly SRAM chains- I just don't use the powerlink that comes with them. I make a solid connection with the chainbreaker. I race, and have broken several different makes of chain over the years.

jasong said:
So SRAM says it's ok to reuse pins after pushing them out? It sounds like you've got empirical data supporting this. Why did Shimano go the other direction?
Whoa! I didn't claim that SRAM said it was ok- I also don't push them all the way out; just enough to break the chain and reinsert the female link end in place of the power link. I've been doing it for years on the racing bikes without any issues. I did have issues with various master links in a race environment, so I ditched them completely.

Aggro Bikes said:
Whoa! I didn't claim that SRAM said it was ok- I also don't push them all the way out; just enough to break the chain and reinsert the female link end in place of the power link. I've been doing it for years on the racing bikes without any issues. I did have issues with various master links in a race environment, so I ditched them completely.
I've only had one powerlink snap in the five or six PL equipped chains I've used over the years.

F.