Top tip for CTC run

Mark T

Guest
When locking your bike up, paticularly when locking it to someone elses,
check you've brought the *right* bike lock key with you! Fortunately a
file sliced through it quickly.

On 3 Mar, 09:26, Mark T
<pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>
wrote:
> When locking your bike up, paticularly when locking it to someone elses,
> check you've brought the *right* bike lock key with you!  Fortunately a
> file sliced through it quickly.

Always store and carry locks locked up so when you use them you must
unlock them first thus proving you have the key and it works.

>> check you've brought the *right* bike lock key with you!  Fortunately
>> a file sliced through it quickly.

> Always store and carry locks locked up so when you use them you must
> unlock them first thus proving you have the key and it works.

You'd have thought that getting key out of pocket, looking at it and going
"yep, that's the right one" would have done the trick. Unfortunately I'm
an idiot.

Thankfully all my other locks have to be unlocked before you can use them,
so no chance of it happening again.

In article <67eb7726-88e6-4d37-aff5-9cf153637c16
@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, POHB
[email protected] says...
> On 3 Mar, 09:26, Mark T
> <pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>
> wrote:
> > When locking your bike up, paticularly when locking it to someone elses,
> > check you've brought the *right* bike lock key with you!  Fortunatelya
> > file sliced through it quickly.

> Always store and carry locks locked up so when you use them you must
> unlock them first thus proving you have the key and it works.

That's a good idea. In the past I've locked my bike in town, only to
have to walk home to get the key.

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 02:25:52 -0800 (PST), POHB <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On 3 Mar, 09:26, Mark T
><pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>
>wrote:
>> When locking your bike up, paticularly when locking it to someone elses,
>> check you've brought the *right* bike lock key with you!  Fortunately a
>> file sliced through it quickly.

>Always store and carry locks locked up so when you use them you must
>unlock them first thus proving you have the key and it works.

Alternatively, pass the lock around the fence that you're locking the
bike to, but not round the bike itself.

<looks at feet, shuffles off>

--

Tim

I understand very little of what's being discussed
but for some reason it's fascinating.

(Jon Thompson, urs)

Hey Mark,

If all it took was a little file perhaps you could share the make and model
of this "lock" so that we can all avoid buying one !!

"Mark T"
<pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
> When locking your bike up, paticularly when locking it to someone elses,
> check you've brought the *right* bike lock key with you! Fortunately a
> file sliced through it quickly.

Steve Watkin writtificated

> If all it took was a little file perhaps you could share the make and
> model of this "lock" so that we can all avoid buying one !!

It was a thin cable lock that I use when locking the bike in view, or if
popping into a newsagents etc. Cable+outer was about 8mm in diameter, the
metal cable itself was about 5mm in diameter. I've got a D-lock and an
abus bordo 75 as a proper lock.

"Mark T" <pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>
> Steve Watkin writtificated
>
>> If all it took was a little file perhaps you could share the make and
>> model of this "lock" so that we can all avoid buying one !!

> It was a thin cable lock that I use when locking the bike in view, or if
> popping into a newsagents etc. Cable+outer was about 8mm in diameter, the
> metal cable itself was about 5mm in diameter. I've got a D-lock and an
> abus bordo 75 as a proper lock.

but I expect it is to heavy to carry around with you!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Just before I joined our local (Calder Clarion) club something like this
happened.
It wasn't noticed until the pub "tipped out" and someone's lady wife had to
come out with a van and fling a bunch of (perhaps three) siamesed bikes into
the back.
The moral is, I'm told - never allow Bob to lock your bike up for you.

John

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:03:19 -0000, "John Clayton"
<[email protected]> said in <[email protected]>:

>The moral is, I'm told - never allow Bob to lock your bike up for you.

No, that should be safe enough - Bob is blind and very careful with
keys. He also builds good wheels.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk