Top tip

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. I have spent the last few weekends trying to fix generators and bikes, as I don't like diesel all
    over my hands I tend to wear latex gloves for fixing gennies and I sometimes do for messier bike
    work. As it was bloody cold I decided to try puttting latex gloves over my thermal liners. Firstly
    it kept my hands warmer but it also made the disposables more comfortable to wear and it was no less
    easy to use my hands.

    Colin

  2. McBain_v1

    McBain_v1 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    Sounds good for when maintenance is needed and it's cold out, but I don't think it would be good for actual riding. I would imagine that the latex is not "breathable" and so your gloves would eventually turn into sweat-filled balloons flapping around on the bars ;-)

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > I have spent the last few weekends trying to fix generators and bikes, as I don't like diesel all
    > over my hands I tend to wear latex gloves for fixing gennies and I sometimes do for messier bike
    > work. As it was bloody cold I decided to try puttting latex gloves over my thermal liners. Firstly
    > it kept my hands warmer but it also made the disposables more comfortable to wear and it was no
    > less easy to use my hands.

    Silly question (because everything else latex does) but I've not used the gloves:

    Do they stretch well?

    I've got some large vinyl disposal gloves but find them uncomfortably tight on my bare hands let
    alone over other gloves.

    thanks ~PB

  4. On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 11:04:02 -0000, Pete Biggs
    <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    > Colin Blackburn wrote:
    >> I have spent the last few weekends trying to fix generators and bikes, as I don't like diesel all
    >> over my hands I tend to wear latex gloves for fixing gennies and I sometimes do for messier bike
    >> work. As it was bloody cold I decided to try puttting latex gloves over my thermal liners.
    >> Firstly it kept my hands warmer but it also made the disposables more comfortable to wear and it
    >> was no less easy to use my hands.
    >
    > Silly question (because everything else latex does) but I've not used the gloves:
    >
    > Do they stretch well?

    Yes. Well, until the rip!

    I got a box of 100 gloves (bit like a tissue box.) They are sized as 8.5 and I think marked as
    Large. I find them perfectly comfortable, even more so with the liners as they stop the clamminess
    that builds up with prolonged wear. They are certainly not tight.

    Colin
    --

  5. Peter Amey

    Peter Amey Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > I have spent the last few weekends trying to fix generators and bikes,
    ^^^ Does that include the Dutch
    Speedbike? (Haven't heard
    anything for a while ...).

    Peter

  6. On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 15:49:40 +0000, Peter Amey
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Colin Blackburn wrote:
    >>
    >> I have spent the last few weekends trying to fix generators and bikes,
    > ^^^ Does that include the
    > Dutch Speedbike? (Haven't
    > heard anything for a while
    > ...).

    Yes. Much of the time was spent swearing a lot as I tried to get the back wheel off the Brompton and
    then more time was spent swearing at the brakes on the Brompton. I then swore a lot at the solenoid
    on our generator which isn't doing its solenoid thing. Finally I spent the dying hour or the light
    swearing at a Ducth Speed bicycle.

    I haven't managed to do anything on it for at least three months, though all the parts are sttting
    there including the hammerited, sawn-up bits of old bike and numerous spare parts. The main bit is
    together, seat affixed, cranks, steerer, etc. It was the rear triangle I was trying to sort out
    yesterday. I discovered that although I can bolt the sprint to the triangle I can't tighten it up
    effectively with the spannerage available to me. So, I'm just about to borrow some spanners from
    here to finish that bit.

    I also noticed that the spring should be attached to the main frame using a 25mm M8 bolt but the
    tapped hole on the main frame is for an M6. There is a 20mm M6 bolt in the pack (and 2 25mm M8s.) I
    am hoping to continue swearing a lot this weekend.

    Colin
    --

  7. On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 15:49:40 +0000, Peter Amey
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Does that include the Dutch Speedbike? (Haven't heard
    > anything for a while ...).

    I finally got around to doing the bulk of the work---in
    between bouts of digging to re-lay one of our mains cables---
    only the gear and brake cables to do and then it should be
    ready for beta testing! I was lucky that we had more snow on
    Sunday since it meant more time in the workshop and less in
    the garden. Roll on next week end :)

    Colin