Top tip

• Thread starter Colin Blackburn
  • Start date

C

Colin Blackburn

I have spent the last few weekends trying to fix generators and bikes, as I don't like diesel all
over my hands I tend to wear latex gloves for fixing gennies and I sometimes do for messier bike
work. As it was bloody cold I decided to try puttting latex gloves over my thermal liners. Firstly
it kept my hands warmer but it also made the disposables more comfortable to wear and it was no less
easy to use my hands.

Colin
--

Originally posted by Colin Blackburn
I have spent the last few weekends trying to fix generators and bikes, as I don't like diesel all over my hands I tend to wear latex gloves for fixing gennies and I sometimes do for messier bike work. As it was bloody cold I decided to try puttting latex gloves over my thermal liners. Firstly it kept my hands warmer but it also made the disposables more comfortable to wear and it was no less easy to use my hands.

Colin
--

Sounds good for when maintenance is needed and it's cold out, but I don't think it would be good for actual riding. I would imagine that the latex is not "breathable" and so your gloves would eventually turn into sweat-filled balloons flapping around on the bars ;-)

Colin Blackburn wrote:
> I have spent the last few weekends trying to fix generators and bikes, as I don't like diesel all
> over my hands I tend to wear latex gloves for fixing gennies and I sometimes do for messier bike
> work. As it was bloody cold I decided to try puttting latex gloves over my thermal liners. Firstly
> it kept my hands warmer but it also made the disposables more comfortable to wear and it was no
> less easy to use my hands.

Silly question (because everything else latex does) but I've not used the gloves:

Do they stretch well?

I've got some large vinyl disposal gloves but find them uncomfortably tight on my bare hands let
alone over other gloves.

thanks ~PB

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 11:04:02 -0000, Pete Biggs
<ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

> Colin Blackburn wrote:
>> I have spent the last few weekends trying to fix generators and bikes, as I don't like diesel all
>> over my hands I tend to wear latex gloves for fixing gennies and I sometimes do for messier bike
>> work. As it was bloody cold I decided to try puttting latex gloves over my thermal liners.
>> Firstly it kept my hands warmer but it also made the disposables more comfortable to wear and it
>> was no less easy to use my hands.
>
> Silly question (because everything else latex does) but I've not used the gloves:
>
> Do they stretch well?

Yes. Well, until the rip!

I got a box of 100 gloves (bit like a tissue box.) They are sized as 8.5 and I think marked as
Large. I find them perfectly comfortable, even more so with the liners as they stop the clamminess
that builds up with prolonged wear. They are certainly not tight.

Colin
--

Colin Blackburn wrote:
>
> I have spent the last few weekends trying to fix generators and bikes,
^^^ Does that include the Dutch
Speedbike? (Haven't heard
anything for a while ...).

Peter

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 15:49:40 +0000, Peter Amey
<[email protected]> wrote:

>
>
> Colin Blackburn wrote:
>>
>> I have spent the last few weekends trying to fix generators and bikes,
> ^^^ Does that include the
> Dutch Speedbike? (Haven't
> heard anything for a while
> ...).

Yes. Much of the time was spent swearing a lot as I tried to get the back wheel off the Brompton and
then more time was spent swearing at the brakes on the Brompton. I then swore a lot at the solenoid
on our generator which isn't doing its solenoid thing. Finally I spent the dying hour or the light
swearing at a Ducth Speed bicycle.

I haven't managed to do anything on it for at least three months, though all the parts are sttting
there including the hammerited, sawn-up bits of old bike and numerous spare parts. The main bit is
together, seat affixed, cranks, steerer, etc. It was the rear triangle I was trying to sort out
yesterday. I discovered that although I can bolt the sprint to the triangle I can't tighten it up
effectively with the spannerage available to me. So, I'm just about to borrow some spanners from
here to finish that bit.

I also noticed that the spring should be attached to the main frame using a 25mm M8 bolt but the
tapped hole on the main frame is for an M6. There is a 20mm M6 bolt in the pack (and 2 25mm M8s.) I
am hoping to continue swearing a lot this weekend.

Colin
--

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 15:49:40 +0000, Peter Amey
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Does that include the Dutch Speedbike? (Haven't heard
> anything for a while ...).

I finally got around to doing the bulk of the work---in
between bouts of digging to re-lay one of our mains cables---
only the gear and brake cables to do and then it should be
ready for beta testing! I was lucky that we had more snow on
Sunday since it meant more time in the workshop and less in
the garden. Roll on next week end :)