Top Tube cable housing stops for Vbrakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert Taylor

I want to put Vbrakes on an old Cannondale frame which came with canti brakes. It has just cable
housing guides on the top tube and so needs a housing stop of some sort for the rear Vbrake to
work properly.

I went to my LBS and they had some clamp on cable stops made by Alloy Accents for $23.99. That is a
little pricy but then I realized that I'd need two of them since they serve as a stop only from one
side. I know that this sort of clamp on cable stop is also made by Problem Solvers, Backstop, and
Tektro but the pictures I've seen don't show whether they stop the housing on both sides or only
one. Can anybody tell me? Also, I need the thing to clamp around the 1 1/2" top tube of my
Cannondale and I've seen the reasonably priced Tektro only up to 1 3/8". Anybody know if it comes in
1 1/2" and if so where I could get one?

My other thought is to remove two of the plastic cable guides from the Cannondale top tube, drill
the holes out as necessary, and pop in RivNuts. Then I could use parts from a centerpull cable stop
to screw in the rivnuts and I'd have my cable stops. (You know, the part the adjusting barrel screws
into on a front centerpull cable stop. It's held on with an 8mm nut on the back). However, would
drilling out those two holes cause safety problems? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob

ritaylor-<< Also, I need the thing to clamp around the 1 1/2" top tube of my Cannondale and I've
seen the reasonably priced Tektro only up to 1 3/8". Anybody know if it comes in 1 1/2" and if so
where I could get one?

Problem Solver ones from Quality Bike parts-

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

[email protected] (Robert Taylor) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I want to put Vbrakes on an old Cannondale frame which came with canti brakes. It has just cable
> housing guides on the top tube and so needs a housing stop of some sort for the rear Vbrake to
> work properly.
>
> I went to my LBS and they had some clamp on cable stops made by Alloy Accents for $23.99. That is
> a little pricy but then I realized that I'd need two of them since they serve as a stop only from
> one side. I know that this sort of clamp on cable stop is also made by Problem Solvers, Backstop,
> and Tektro but the pictures I've seen don't show whether they stop the housing on both sides or
> only one. Can anybody tell me? Also, I need the thing to clamp around the 1 1/2" top tube of my
> Cannondale and I've seen the reasonably priced Tektro only up to 1 3/8". Anybody know if it comes
> in 1 1/2" and if so where I could get one?
>
> My other thought is to remove two of the plastic cable guides from the Cannondale top tube, drill
> the holes out as necessary, and pop in RivNuts. Then I could use parts from a centerpull cable
> stop to screw in the rivnuts and I'd have my cable stops. (You know, the part the adjusting barrel
> screws into on a front centerpull cable stop. It's held on with an 8mm nut on the back). However,
> would drilling out those two holes cause safety problems? Any thoughts?

Odyssey makes a cable-splitter for BMX bikes called the London Mod:

http://www.blackoutdistribution.com/products/londonmod.html

You might be able to secure this to your top tube by running the center bolt through one of your
cable guides. Primo makes a similar product called the Primo Pervert.

Caution: I haven't tried this and I don't know if your plastic guides would be strong enough.

Why don't you just run housing all the way from the brake levers to V-brakes? You even have the
guides to run it through.

Jeff

"Robert Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I want to put Vbrakes on an old Cannondale frame which came with canti brakes. It has just cable
> housing guides on the top tube and so needs a housing stop of some sort for the rear Vbrake to
> work properly.
>
> I went to my LBS and they had some clamp on cable stops made by Alloy Accents for $23.99. That is
> a little pricy but then I realized that I'd need two of them since they serve as a stop only from
> one side. I know that this sort of clamp on cable stop is also made by Problem Solvers, Backstop,
> and Tektro but the pictures I've seen don't show whether they stop the housing on both sides or
> only one. Can anybody tell me? Also, I need the thing to clamp around the 1 1/2" top tube of my
> Cannondale and I've seen the reasonably priced Tektro only up to 1 3/8". Anybody know if it comes
> in 1 1/2" and if so where I could get one?
>
> My other thought is to remove two of the plastic cable guides from the Cannondale top tube, drill
> the holes out as necessary, and pop in RivNuts. Then I could use parts from a centerpull cable
> stop to screw in the rivnuts and I'd have my cable stops. (You know, the part the adjusting barrel
> screws into on a front centerpull cable stop. It's held on with an 8mm nut on the back). However,
> would drilling out those two holes cause safety problems? Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.