Top tube mount rear view mirror?

Dan

Guest
I have a Trek hybrid I ride frequently in urban traffic. For safety I'd
like to add a rear view mirror, but would prefer something other than
the handlebar or helmet mount type. Saw this one which mounts on the
top tube http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=848#
Anyone ever use one? Seems like a good solution, effect/unobtrusive,
but I'm wondering if it would work with the more upright riding position
of a hybrid.

TIA

Dan

I must be missing something. From the pic it looks like the only thing
you'l see in the mirror is you.

gds wrote:
> I must be missing something. From the pic it looks like the only thing
> you'l see in the mirror is you.

That's what I was wondering. I am a bit of a narcissist, but my concern
is more traffic from the rear than whether or not the helmet makes me
look fat... ;-)

Another other suggestions for mirrors would be appreciated.

Dan

Look at the Reevu helmet sold in the UK.

If it works and doesn't fog up when you sweat it looks pretty good.

I personally use the CycleAware mirror on my helmet. I have found that
when properly adjusted it gives me a great view of approaching traffic
day or night. It may look small but gives approx coverage comparable
to handle bar mount. Plus side is that it isn't left on your bike
when you lock it up. Minus side after about a year it has gotten loose
in the swivel mount and moves when my speed gets above 35 Kph. Still
alright though.

"Dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a Trek hybrid I ride frequently in urban traffic. For safety I'd
> like to add a rear view mirror, but would prefer something other than
> the handlebar or helmet mount type. Saw this one which mounts on the
> top tube http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=848#
> Anyone ever use one? Seems like a good solution, effect/unobtrusive,
> but I'm wondering if it would work with the more upright riding position
> of a hybrid.
>
> TIA
>
> Dan

The best mirror I've tried (and I've experimented with a bunch of them) is
the glasses-mounted "Take a Look" model (it can also be helmet-mounted with
the included adapter).

The advantage of glasses and helmet mounted mirrors is that they are
generally less affected by vibration, and you have a much wider field of
vision via simply twisting your head a few degrees left or right.

Here are some reviews of this and other mirror systems:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Extras/product_86204.shtml

http://www.icebike.com/Equipment/cyclingmirrors.htm

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:36:49 -0400, Dan <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I have a Trek hybrid I ride frequently in urban traffic. For safety I'd
>like to add a rear view mirror, but would prefer something other than
>the handlebar or helmet mount type. Saw this one which mounts on the
>top tube http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=848#
>Anyone ever use one? Seems like a good solution, effect/unobtrusive,
>but I'm wondering if it would work with the more upright riding position
>of a hybrid.
>
>TIA
>
>Dan

I ride a hybrid Trek in NYC and use a handlebar mounted mirror. It
does keep me from going through some especially tight gaps but I think
that is an advantage really. I didn't realize how much I used it until
someone stole it. I got another.

I like the glasses/helmet model that Gary mentioned and might pick one
up.

What I can't figure out is how the tube mounted one could possibly
work. I can see it working fine for taking a quick shave, but unless
you are one very thin person, I just can't imagine it working out.
Plus, just in case there is an accident that causes you to slide
forward on the tube, it would be in a bad place.

"Little Meow" wrote: (clip)"Pain in the balls". The mirror lets the rider
observe proper positioning of the objects in question.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Performance in San Rafael has had one in their closeout bin for a couple of
months--I have wondered what it was. Now I know, so I went there today,
intending to buy it. I figured it must work somehow. When I got to the
checkout, two salesmen told me it was no good--only lets you see yourself,
so I left emptyhanded. How can something that bad make it through the
design, manufacturing and marketing stages?

Paladin 3000 wrote:
> I personally use the CycleAware mirror on my helmet. I have found that
> when properly adjusted it gives me a great view of approaching traffic
> day or night. It may look small but gives approx coverage comparable
> to handle bar mount. Plus side is that it isn't left on your bike
> when you lock it up. Minus side after about a year it has gotten loose
> in the swivel mount and moves when my speed gets above 35 Kph. Still
> alright though.

I've never used CycleAware but I have used a couple of helmet mounted
and glasses mounted mirrors. Rhodegear and Third Eye for the helmet
and Third Eye and Cycleware ViewPoint mirrors for the glasses. I find
both types are good although I prefer the glasses mounted ones since
a)I've gotten out of the habit of wearing a helmet, and b)I find I have
less tendency to knock the mirror off. I've lost a mirror while
carrying a helmet while shopping.

The Third Eye for the helmet was not that good: It seemed to move to
much with vibration but the T E for the glasses was fine. I like the
Cycleware ViewPoint mirror because it is a very small mirror that glues
onto the lense of my sunglasses. It takes a bit of getting used to but
it is very convinient although it is not always easy to find sunglasses
that will acommodate it. Oakleys seem to have too tight a fit but my
older Louis Garneau's work fine

John Kane
Kingston ON

Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "Little Meow" wrote: (clip)"Pain in the balls". The mirror lets the rider
> observe proper positioning of the objects in question.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Performance in San Rafael has had one in their closeout bin for a couple of
> months--I have wondered what it was. Now I know, so I went there today,
> intending to buy it. I figured it must work somehow. When I got to the
> checkout, two salesmen told me it was no good--only lets you see yourself,
> so I left emptyhanded. How can something that bad make it through the
> design, manufacturing and marketing stages?

Thanks for the replies. I had assumed the mirror was convex, so that
while it did show the rider, it also showed the area to his right &
left. In the image it doesn't really look convex though (even if it
were, at the angle it sits it may give one a better view of oncoming
birds & airplanes then terrestrial traffic), so it seems it's just
another example of bonehead design. Don't really want to go the
helmet/eyeglass route, I think I'll opt for this one, instead:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=14655

Dan

"Dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Leo Lichtman wrote:
>> "Little Meow" wrote: (clip)"Pain in the balls". The mirror lets the rider
>> observe proper positioning of the objects in question.
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Performance in San Rafael has had one in their closeout bin for a couple
>> of months--I have wondered what it was. Now I know, so I went there
>> today, intending to buy it. I figured it must work somehow. When I got
>> to the checkout, two salesmen told me it was no good--only lets you see
>> yourself, so I left emptyhanded. How can something that bad make it
>> through the design, manufacturing and marketing stages?

> Thanks for the replies. I had assumed the mirror was convex, so that
> while it did show the rider, it also showed the area to his right & left.
> In the image it doesn't really look convex though (even if it were, at the
> angle it sits it may give one a better view of oncoming birds & airplanes
> then terrestrial traffic), so it seems it's just another example of
> bonehead design. Don't really want to go the helmet/eyeglass route, I
> think I'll opt for this one, instead:
> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=14655
>
> Dan

Try the "Italian Road Racing Mirror instead, at
http://www.aspirevelotech.com. I tried all the eyeglass mirrors, and hated
them. This is the best mirror I've found by far.

JF

James Fitch wrote:

> Try the "Italian Road Racing Mirror instead, at
> http://www.aspirevelotech.com. I tried all the eyeglass mirrors, and
> hated them. This is the best mirror I've found by far.

Looks pretty cool, but $24? Most mirrors are like $8 - 14.

(Then again, mine's secured to my helm*t with electrical tape!)

Cheap, non-stealthy Bill

> Try the "Italian Road Racing Mirror instead, at
> http://www.aspirevelotech.com. I tried all the eyeglass mirrors, and hated
> them. This is the best mirror I've found by far.
>
> JF

That's pretty neat, unfortunately it won't work with my hybrid's
handlebars, otherwise I'd give it a shot.

Dan