Top tube

Tj ch

Apr 19, 2020
I have found a really nice women’s vintage Dutch bike , and a fair price . Trouble is I am looking for a mens bike . Can I have an accomplished welder add a top tube to the frame and turn it into a mens bike without comprising the structure or performance?

Why do you want to mess up a ”nice vintage bike” by retrofitting a frame member?

Unless that ”accomplished welder” is willing to work for free, this idea is likely to be financially stupid.

For casual riding, there’s very little practical benefit from adding a top tube to a step-thru frame.

For enthusiastic riding, you’d be better off with a frame built for that purpose from the start. So I’m sorta struggling to see why you’d want to do this. Anyhow, most Dutch bikes are quite heavy, due to having quite thick tubes. Welding on them is relatively easy compared to higher quality frames. I wouldn’t want to try it with a stick welder, but should be entirely doable with a wire-feed MAG or TIG. Brazing is certainly an option too, although it’ll mean a bigger area to repaint.There’s always a risk for local warping right at the weld. The ability to ream seat- and headtube after welding is advisable.

If you only want to make the bike LOOK like a man’s bike, buy some round stock at the lumber yard, or a length of PVC tubing at the plumbing section. Trim to fit, and secure to the bike using zip ties or pretty much anything.

Haha , I understand
Many thx for the reply . I had a old Dutch bike long time ago , and I loved the feeling of cycling down the road , great feeling of comfort , history and the top tube was a big part of that .....something about the sitting position and that bar that I don’t get from a ladies bike .
I don’t really want to mess with a nice vintage bike , but I cannot get a men’s vintage Dutch that’s affordable......this bike is affordable and I would be getting a professional guy to do it ......if I decide ..
Not 100% yet but I will probably buy the bike

While I admire your resourcefulness, I'm afraid welding a top tube onto a women's bike to convert it into a men's bike isn't as simple as it sounds. It's not just about adding a top tube, but also ensuring that the geometry, weight distribution, and overall structure of the bike remain balanced and safe.

A better option might be to look for a men's vintage Dutch bike that fits you well and is in good condition. You could also consider modern bikes that offer a classic look, like the ones from Electra or Linus.

But hey, if you're feeling extra ambitious and have access to a skilled welder, go for it! Just make sure they know what they're doing and are up for the challenge. And remember, safety should always be your top priority when it comes to biking. Happy hunting! :)