Topeak Alien and axle nuts?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Sujai, Aug 17, 2003.

  1. Sujai

    Sujai Guest

    Hi. I've been looking through a lot of posts and I think the Topeak Alien is the right
    multi-tool for me.

    (long url warning):
    http://www.topeak.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/store/talien.html?L+scstore+lyyj1901ffea5dea+1061178270

    However, I wasnt able to tell if the tool can be used to remove 15 mm axle nuts as well in the event
    of a flat tire. The tool comes with a 15 mm pedal wrench, but I haven't done anything with a pedal
    wrench ever to know if it can be used on an axle nut.

    Thanks in advance,

    - Sujai

    --
    [remove duplicate letters in eedduu for email address]

    Tags:

  2. >However, I wasnt able to tell if the tool can be used to remove 15 mm axle nuts as well in the
    >event of a flat tire. The tool comes with a 15 mm pedal wrench, but I haven't done anything with a
    >pedal wrench ever to know if it can be used on an axle nut.

    The Alien is a great multitool, I'd recommend it. But you just don't have the kind of mechanical
    advantage with its 15 mm to do serious business with an axle nut.

    That's what peanut butter wrenches are for.

    the Texas Elvis"------------------

  3. On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:35:41 +0000, Eric S. Sande wrote:

    >>However, I wasnt able to tell if the tool can be used to remove 15 mm axle nuts as well in the
    >>event of a flat tire. The tool comes with a 15 mm pedal wrench, but I haven't done anything with a
    >>pedal wrench ever to know if it can be used on an axle nut.
    >
    > The Alien is a great multitool, I'd recommend it. But you just don't have the kind of mechanical
    > advantage with its 15 mm to do serious business with an axle nut.
    >
    > That's what peanut butter wrenches are for.

    I'd have to agree with the last part of that. For the life of me, though, I can't see the utility of
    the 15mm wrench that comes on that thing. If there isn't enough mechanical advantage to remove an
    axle nut, no way are you going to be able to remove a pedal that has been on for a while. Most shops
    have big 'ol 18" pedal wrenches for a reason.

    On the other hand, who needs to remove a pedal on the road? But a longer wrench for the axle nuts
    will be useful as long as you stick with nutted axles. I now use Allen-keyed skewers on my fixed
    gear, and basically can do everything I need with a 6mm Allen wrench.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Become MicroSoft-free forever. Ask me how. _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

  4. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    David L. Johnson wrote:

    > For the life of me, though, I can't see the utility of the 15mm wrench that comes on that thing.
    > If there isn't enough mechanical advantage to remove an axle nut, no way are you going to be able
    > to remove a pedal that has been on for a while.

    I once use my Alien to reinstall a woman's pedal that had come loose. She had them installed at an
    LBS the day before. She was grateful and planned to chew out the LBS at her earliest convenience.

    That's the only time I had use for the 15mm wrench.

  5. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:08:04 -0500, Sujai <[email protected]> wrote:
    > However, I wasnt able to tell if the tool can be used to remove 15 mm axle nuts as well in the
    > event of a flat tire. The tool comes with a 15 mm pedal wrench, but I haven't done anything with a
    > pedal wrench ever to know if it can be used on an axle nut.

    Looking at the picture you linked, I can't tell where the 15mm pedal wrench is. However, if it can
    remove pedals, which are likely to be seized on, then I'm sure it can remove an axle nut.

    I have an old "Bike wrench" I got at a department store probably 12 years ago; it's cheezy, and it
    has a 15mm open-end wrench on one side that works great for pedals AND axle nuts.

    I should post a picture and ask if anybody knows where I can get a couple more...

    --
    Rick Onanian

  6. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> writes:

    > I have an old "Bike wrench" I got at a department store probably 12 years ago; it's cheezy, and it
    > has a 15mm open-end wrench on one side that works great for pedals AND axle nuts.
    >
    > I should post a picture and ask if anybody knows where I can get a couple more...

    I've got the Park Tools HCW-6, with pedal wrench on one end, and 32 mm headset wrench on the other.
    It's not cheezy at all. In fact, it's been a godsend.

    cheers, Tom