Topeak Alien

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Walter Mitty, May 14, 2003.

  1. Walter Mitty

    Walter Mitty Guest

    I'm looking to buy a sturdy multitool for a forthcoming tour.

    The Topeak Alien + a pedal spanner + crank remover + adjustable wrench + spoke key would seem to be
    all I need.

    Can anyone verify the robustness and usefulness of the Topeak Alien before I order one?

    thanks,

    --
    Walter Mitty.

    Tags:

  2. Jchase

    Jchase Guest

    Walter Mitty wrote:
    > I'm looking to buy a sturdy multitool for a forthcoming tour.
    >
    > The Topeak Alien + a pedal spanner + crank remover + adjustable wrench + spoke key would seem to
    > be all I need.
    >
    > Can anyone verify the robustness and usefulness of the Topeak Alien before I order one?
    >
    > thanks,

    I've used an Alien for a couple of years, and haven't broken anything. It has a couple of defects-
    -There are a few loose pieces that you need to hang onto when you're opening it up. -Only one side
    of the two-part tool has a locking mechanism for extended tools (including the straight-blade driver
    and the knife). The other side, with most of the Allen wrenches and the Phillips, has free swivels
    so its harder to keep these lined up with your work.

    Still, its very handy on the road, and I even use it sometimes in my garage because its so easy not
    to pick up a new tool for each move.

    As it happens, I've not had the need to use the tire lever feature, or the chain tool, so I don't
    know how well these work.

  3. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "jchase" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've used an Alien for a couple of years, and haven't broken anything. It has a couple of defects-
    > -There are a few loose pieces that you need to hang onto when you're opening it up. -Only one side
    > of the two-part tool has a locking mechanism for extended tools (including the straight-blade
    > driver and the knife). The other side, with most of the Allen wrenches and the Phillips, has free
    > swivels so its harder to keep these lined up with your work.
    >
    > Still, its very handy on the road, and I even use it sometimes in my garage because its so easy
    > not to pick up a new tool for each move.
    >
    > As it happens, I've not had the need to use the tire lever feature, or the chain tool, so I don't
    > know how well these work.

    I've carried one for several years too and have found it to be almost invaluable. The only gripe I
    have is the locking mechanism. If you have one blade in the locked position and don't get all of the
    other tools firmly nested back into the handle, the errant tools will open the lock and you might
    get a nasty surprise. As usual, I learned this one the hard way.

    There is one tool that snaps in place when closed and tends to fall out. Just keep an eye out for
    it. The chain tool works quite well as do the tire levers.

    The Alien has worked well for me. A bit too bulky for the seat pack on the road bike, but fine for
    the Camelback.

    -Buck

  4. Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm looking to buy a sturdy multitool for a forthcoming tour.
    >
    > The Topeak Alien + a pedal spanner + crank remover + adjustable wrench + spoke key would seem to
    > be all I need.
    >
    > Can anyone verify the robustness and usefulness of the Topeak Alien before I order one?

    I've got one. I haven't put it through a full-bore "robustness" test, but it's a terribly useful
    little thingie.

    I carry a little Park MT-1, which is just a few allen key heads, a screwdriver, & 3 different hex
    nut heads all in less than the space of a stubby pencil. This, combined with the Alien, lets me
    reach in and tighten/loosen most things on the bike, with the exception of course of the crank,
    pedals, and casette.

    -Luigi

  5. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I'm looking to buy a sturdy multitool for a forthcoming tour.
    > >
    > > The Topeak Alien + a pedal spanner + crank remover + adjustable wrench + spoke key would seem to
    > > be all I need.
    > >
    > > Can anyone verify the robustness and usefulness of the Topeak Alien
    before
    > > I order one?
    >
    > I've got one. I haven't put it through a full-bore "robustness" test, but it's a terribly useful
    > little thingie.
    >
    > I carry a little Park MT-1, which is just a few allen key heads, a screwdriver, & 3 different hex
    > nut heads all in less than the space of a stubby pencil. This, combined with the Alien, lets me
    > reach in and tighten/loosen most things on the bike, with the exception of course of the crank,
    > pedals, and casette.
    >
    > -Luigi

    What about a chain tool? Does the Topeak Alien have a chain tool?

    --
    Bob ctviggen at rcn dot com

  6. The Alien's fine, but I prefer the Hummer (also made by Topeak). Still has the important stuff you
    need (including a chain tool), costs less, is lighter weight and you don't have to pull it apart
    into two pieces in order to use it.

    "Walter Mitty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I'm looking to buy a sturdy multitool for a forthcoming tour.
    >
    > The Topeak Alien + a pedal spanner + crank remover + adjustable wrench + spoke key would seem to
    > be all I need.
    >
    > Can anyone verify the robustness and usefulness of the Topeak Alien before I order one?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > --
    > Walter Mitty.

  7. Jay

    Jay Guest

    >> Walter Mitty wrote: I'm looking to buy a sturdy multitool for a forthcoming tour.
    >>
    >> The Topeak Alien + a pedal spanner + crank remover + adjustable wrench + spoke key would seem to
    >> be all I need.
    >>
    >> Can anyone verify the robustness and usefulness of the Topeak Alien before I order one?

    I have an Alien. A couple of weak points- but mostly fine. One- when you take the two halves apart
    it is a pain to get them back together. Two - When the locking side is "locked" it is a pain to get
    it unlocked.

    I frequently just throw them in a pocket/bag after use to fold/assemble later at leisure after
    cussin' and getting frustrated.

    Otherwise- fine product.

  8. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <BAE8B25B.D50B%[email protected]>,
    Jay <[email protected]> writes:

    > I frequently just throw them in a pocket/bag after use to fold/assemble later at leisure after
    > cussin' and getting frustrated.

    I do stuff like that too, when I don't have my reading glasses handy.

    cheers, Tom