Topeak Allay

dbackmtg

Oct 9, 2005
Does anyone have an Allay saddle by Topeak? I just purchased one and wanted to hear what anyone else has to say. If there is anyone contemplating buying one I'll post my opinion of the saddle after some use.

Howdy, I am interested in hearing about how it well it works. The concept is quite remarkable if it functions properly. Would you mind listing which model you purchased and the approximate cost. I have searched for them on Amazon.com but it almost seems like those are knock-off versions. I am riding on the original bontrager seat which does a number to a guy after about 8 miles. Does temporary numbess mean that I am causing permanent damage?

RedRider2009 said:
Howdy, I am interested in hearing about how it well it works. The concept is quite remarkable if it functions properly. Would you mind listing which model you purchased and the approximate cost. I have searched for them on Amazon.com but it almost seems like those are knock-off versions. I am riding on the original bontrager seat which does a number to a guy after about 8 miles. Does temporary numbess mean that I am causing permanent damage?
YES! DO NOT RIDE WITH THAT SADDLE AGAIN UNTIL YOU VISIT A GOOD LBS AND HAVE YOUR SEAT POSITION EVALUATED!!!!!!!!!! Sorry to yell but it is extremely serious if you have numbness and you should not ride on that saddle if you are experiencing it, temporary or otherwise. You can ask yourself, "Do I really like riding on a saddle that does a number on a guy after 8 miles so much that I am willing to sacrifice my sex life for it?" If your answer is No!, then see your LBS. They will help you find the best position for your saddle, or suggest a different saddle if this one does not work for you.

I'm interested in this saddle as well as the selle SMP saddles.

Problem is all you can get out of a saddle review is an opinion of build and material quality, stiffness and level of padding.

You can not determine if YOU will find a saddle comfortable based on somebody elses experiences.

The Allay interests me as it allows you to adjust the firmness of the middle of the saddle, and it has varying widths. Shame the racier modells only came in narrow and mid widths (I could probably use a wide).

RedRider2009 said:

The Pro Sport in a medium. It cost me $69. I haven't gotten to ride it yet due to rain and work. The LBS I got it from had to get it from the Topeak rep. I've seen the same saddle I bought online for as much as $100. Apparently they haven't been out all that long. The saddle looks like it is put together very well. It's actually lighter than I expected. I don't know the exact weight, but can weigh it on one of our scales at work.

kdelong said:
YES! DO NOT RIDE WITH THAT SADDLE AGAIN UNTIL YOU VISIT A GOOD LBS AND HAVE YOUR SEAT POSITION EVALUATED!!!!!!!!!! Sorry to yell but it is extremely serious if you have numbness and you should not ride on that saddle if you are experiencing it, temporary or otherwise. You can ask yourself, "Do I really like riding on a saddle that does a number on a guy after 8 miles so much that I am willing to sacrifice my sex life for it?" If your answer is No!, then see your LBS. They will help you find the best position for your saddle, or suggest a different saddle if this one does not work for you.

I agree. There's a world of difference between your butt aching after a few hours on a saddle, and genital numbness. The former goes away after the ride w/o damage, but numbness is very, very serious and shouldn't be tolerated even temporarily!

i just posted a reply to another thread about this saddle... i bought it about 5 months ago.. but have only gotten to ride in it for about 300 miles as I have spent the last 4 months recovery from knee surgery.

The saddle has a pretty low profile, which I like and does have some padding, though minimal for the sit bones. it comes in different widths so make sure to get the right size. for me, i was having problems with saddle sore in the groin area...this saddle has completely changed my area of complaint though. it forces you to put most of your weight on to you sit bones and doesn't allow for much adjustment in your position...but it does take off a lot of the pressure in the groin area (at least for females).

another thing is that that it can have the same effect as wearing underwear with your shorts... since it's a material sling, the edges can sometimes rub on the sides. though this is to a minimum.

Overall, I like the saddle and I'm not going to switch back to my other one...it seems very well built and designed.. the real test will be when I start going for rides longer than 45 miles... that's the real test of a saddle....

I bought my saddle from amazon.com for about $65... can't quite remember.