TOPEAK bike pump

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Stephanie, Mar 12, 2003.

  1. Stephanie

    Stephanie Guest

    I bought this pump last fall...my tires are nearly flat...

    how do I get this thing to clamp down on my presta valves and pump? when the lever is "up" is that
    locked? or when the lever is "down" is that locked? I can't get the thing to pump up anything. I
    hear air...

    feeling silly in CT Stephanie

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Stephanie" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > how do I get this thing to clamp down on my presta valves and pump? when the lever is "up" is that
    > locked? or when the lever is "down" is that locked? I can't get the thing to pump up anything. I
    > hear air...

    Up (perpendicular to the hose) is locked. I pump up my tires twice a week. Good luck.

    Ken

  3. Stephanie

    Stephanie Guest

    OK, thanks...I got them pumped up...had to use my presta valve converter...which I was told I wasn't
    supposed to have to use with this pump...but net net I don't have to drive to the gas station to get
    air! Woo hoo!

    Stephanie

    "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Stephanie" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > > how do I get this thing to clamp down on my presta valves and pump? when the lever is "up" is
    > > that locked? or when the lever is "down" is that locked? I can't get the thing to pump up
    > > anything. I hear air...
    >
    > Up (perpendicular to the hose) is locked. I pump up my tires twice a
    week.
    > Good luck.
    >
    > Ken

  4. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Stephanie" <[email protected]> wrote in news:_WNba.6790$se1.3946815 @newssvr28.news.prodigy.com:

    > OK, thanks...I got them pumped up...had to use my presta valve converter...which I was told I
    > wasn't supposed to have to use with this pump...but net net I don't have to drive to the gas
    > station to get air! Woo hoo!

    Some Topeak pumps have 2 heads, one for Schraeder and one for Presta. Some have one head that
    automagically works on either type with no change. Some have a switchable head (you need to take the
    head apart and switch some parts around). Your manual should tell you which type you have.

    Ken

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Stephanie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I bought this pump last fall...my tires are nearly flat...
    >
    > how do I get this thing to clamp down on my presta valves and pump? when
    the
    > lever is "up" is that locked? or when the lever is "down" is that locked?
    > can't get the thing to pump up anything. I hear air...
    >
    > feeling silly in CT

    Don't feel silly. It isn't really intuitive.

    Look straight into the end of the pump. Now throw the lever. Notice how the rubber washer squeezes
    smaller when the lever is sticking out from the body?

    Unlock the valve by uncrewing the little brass nubbin on the end until it stops. Touch the valve pin
    and note that a little air escapes. Now you're sure it is unlocked.

    Slip the pump over the valve as far on as it will go easily. Throw the lever the way you just saw so
    the rubber washer seals around the valve.

    Pump in brisk strokes so that the plunger goes all the way to the bottom of the pump each time. And
    take care to hold the valve end such that you're pressing against your hand and not against the
    valve - it will snap right off otherwise.

    When the tire seems firm, throw the lever the other way and tap the pump end with your hand to
    remove it from the valve. Check the pressure with a gauge and repeat as needed. When it is correctly
    inflated lockkthe valve pin by screwing it snugly with only your fingers. (Eventually you'll have a
    "calibrated thumb" so you'll know when the pressure is right without a gauge.)

    And kudos for asking - inflating your tires properly is the simplest and cheapest thing you can do
    to make your bike ride better. It also makes your tires last far longer.

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Stephanie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > OK, thanks...I got them pumped up...had to use my presta valve converter...which I was told I
    > wasn't supposed to have to use with this pump...but net net I don't have to drive to the gas
    > station to get air!
    Woo
    > hoo!

    Many pumps are built such that they will accomodate both sizes of valve.

    Remove the cover pate and withdraw the rubber washer. Notice that it is larger on one end for
    Schrader valves and smaller on the other end for Presta valves. When you use it in Schrader mode,
    there will be a plastic piece behind the washer with a small pin in it to open the Schrader valve.
    When you use it in Presta mode, that part can be installed the other way around so the pin doesn't
    press against the Presta valve's pin.

    Even if you only have one type of valve yourself, this is a nice feature for when you meet a cyclist
    in need with the other valves!

  7. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Stephanie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I bought this pump last fall...my tires are nearly flat...
    >
    > how do I get this thing to clamp down on my presta valves and pump? when
    the
    > lever is "up" is that locked? or when the lever is "down" is that locked?
    > can't get the thing to pump up anything. I hear air...
    >
    > feeling silly in CT

    Well, you should feel silly. You and the other millions of Americans that'd rather ask a lazy
    question than read the owner's manual. I mean, that's the first thing I do when I get something new.
    Damn responsible of me, ain't it?

    Robin Hubert

  8. Scic

    Scic Guest

    As long as we're on pumps....

    Lately (and oftentimes) when using my year old Planet Bike Versair, I can't get air into the tube
    and all I'm doing is pressurizing the air hose. The valve pin is, of course, unscrewed. This happens
    when the tire is mounted as well as when the tube is out of the tire. I've found that when I turn
    the valve and head upside down, or rotate the tire so the valve is at top center, and whack the head
    a few times, I'm able to pump air. I see nothing in the washer/seal on which the pin can hang up,
    yet it apparently closes when I attach the head. It's a dual head and the washers are
    interchangeable but it makes no difference, nor does insertion depth. Doesn't happen with my
    Blackburn. Not a big thing, but any thoughts?

    Sig Chicago

  9. John Albergo

    John Albergo Guest

    Scic wrote:

    >As long as we're on pumps....
    >
    >Lately (and oftentimes) when using my year old Planet Bike Versair, I can't get air into the tube
    >and all I'm doing is pressurizing the air hose. The valve pin is, of course, unscrewed. This
    >happens when the tire is mounted as well as when the tube is out of the tire. I've found that when
    >I turn the valve and head upside down, or rotate the tire so the valve is at top center, and whack
    >the head a few times, I'm able to pump air. I see nothing in the washer/seal on which the pin can
    >hang up, yet it apparently closes when I attach the head. It's a dual head and the washers are
    >interchangeable but it makes no difference, nor does insertion depth. Doesn't happen with my
    >Blackburn. Not a big thing, but any thoughts?
    >

    >Sig Chicago

    This happens a lot with presta valves. You can't see the problem because it's down inside the valve.
    The valve is just become a bit too friendly with its seat and is suffering separation anxiety. When
    you pump, it is only air pressure that moves the valve - there's nothing physically pushing down the
    pin like in a schraeder valve. Lots of PSI, but not a lot of "SI" involved so it's a pretty small
    force. You can help out. Tap the pin once or twice momentarily with your finger to break the seal
    and let a puff of air out (is this what you meant by "whack the head"?). Then pump up your tire.
    Some tubes seem more prone than others, but as you say it is not a big deal.

  10. Whitfit

    Whitfit Guest

    > Well, you should feel silly. You and the other millions of Americans that'd rather ask a lazy
    > question than read the owner's manual. I mean, that's the first thing I do when I get something
    > new. Damn responsible of me, ain't it?
    >
    > Robin Hubert

    Wow, Robin, you really are much more intelligent than the average person. Those people who have
    simple questions should lock themselves in their basements and never emerge to disturb the smart,
    responsible likes of you. Or... Maybe you could grow up.

    Whitfit.

  11. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "whitfit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Well, you should feel silly. You and the other millions of Americans
    that'd
    > > rather ask a lazy question than read the owner's manual. I mean, that's
    the
    > > first thing I do when I get something new. Damn responsible of me,
    ain't
    > > it?
    > >
    > > Robin Hubert
    >
    > Wow, Robin, you really are much more intelligent than the average person.

    Intelligent enough to read instructions that come with things I buy, that I don't know how to use?
    It's true, not that I brag about it.

    >Those people who have simple questions should lock themselves in their basements and never emerge
    >to disturb the smart, responsible likes of you.

    Why must you be so extreme. The person's too lazy to read the owner's manual, so they ought to be
    embarrassed to ask a lame question. Anyway, whoever said I was responsible? I just learned in
    childhood not to trouble others with things you can do for yourself (with the same or less effort, I
    might add).

    >Or... Maybe you could grow up.

    Grow up enough to, say, use my real name nitwit, er, Whitfit??

    Robin Hubert

  12. Scic

    Scic Guest

    >From: John Albergo

    >Tap the pin once or twice momentarily with your finger to break the seal and
    let a puff of air out (is this what you meant by
    >"whack the head"?).

    No. I do break the seal after unscrewing the pin. I have to whack the head of the pump to start air
    flowing (into the tube). Pump seems OK; it's something with the presta valve. I buy cheaper butyl
    tubes. Maybe the threads of the pin hang up on a burr at the end of the valve body? Unlike most
    schraeder valves, it seems there's a range of quality among prestas.

    Sig Chicago

  13. Rb

    Rb Guest

    The pumps I've bought, don't have particularly clear instructions on their use. Sometimes all I get
    are a couple of line diagrams printed on the back of a cardboard.

    r.b.

    [email protected] (whitfit) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Well, you should feel silly. You and the other millions of Americans that'd rather ask a lazy
    > > question than read the owner's manual. I mean, that's the first thing I do when I get something
    > > new. Damn responsible of me, ain't it?
    > >
    > > Robin Hubert
    >
    > Wow, Robin, you really are much more intelligent than the average person. Those people who have
    > simple questions should lock themselves in their basements and never emerge to disturb the smart,
    > responsible likes of you. Or... Maybe you could grow up.
    >
    > Whitfit.

  14. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (rb) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > The pumps I've bought, don't have particularly clear instructions on their use. Sometimes all I
    > get are a couple of line diagrams printed on the back of a cardboard.

    Considering that there are only about 3 things you can do with a pump, those diagrams should
    be pleanty.

  15. Whitfit

    Whitfit Guest

    "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "whitfit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Well, you should feel silly. You and the other millions of Americans
    > that'd
    > > > rather ask a lazy question than read the owner's manual. I mean, that's
    > the
    > > > first thing I do when I get something new. Damn responsible of me,
    > ain't
    > > > it?
    > > >
    > > > Robin Hubert
    > >
    > > Wow, Robin, you really are much more intelligent than the average person.
    >
    > Intelligent enough to read instructions that come with things I buy, that I don't know how to use?
    > It's true, not that I brag about it.

    Huh? You seemed to brag about it in your post. My point was your gloating reply is offensive, mean
    spirited, and unjustified. Sometimes people get things that don't have manuals, they go missing, and
    they need to ask basic questions. I also might point out that, although you are an obvious master of
    holding on to and reading manuals, your deficiencies in other areas, say empathy and human spirit
    are quite obvious.

    > >Those people who have simple questions should lock themselves in their basements and never emerge
    > >to disturb the smart, responsible likes of you.
    >
    > Why must you be so extreme. The person's too lazy to read the owner's manual, so they ought to be
    > embarrassed to ask a lame question. Anyway, whoever said I was responsible? I just learned in
    > childhood not to trouble others with things you can do for yourself (with the same or less effort,
    > I might add).

    I must be so extreme because you insulted (and quite directly, I might add, as opposed to subtly
    pointing out a URL or something that might suggest the info is there if they want to find it)
    someone who posted a simple question that several people seemed quite willing to answer. You, on the
    other hand, wasted your time reading and replying to a question you felt disdain for (not to mention
    that you have now goaded me in to a meaningless and most likely fruitless argument). I am rarely
    confrontational, but I get a little overexcited when people such as yourself are so agressively
    insulting to someone who is being quite reasonable.

    > >Or... Maybe you could grow up.
    >
    > Grow up enough to, say, use my real name nitwit, er, Whitfit??

    Thanks for proving my point (oh yeah, the correct word in that case is grown).

    > Robin Hubert

    Whitfit

  16. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "whitfit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "whitfit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    Americans
    > > that'd
    > > the
    > > ain't

    > > > Wow, Robin, you really are much more intelligent than the average person.
    > >
    > > Intelligent enough to read instructions that come with things I buy,
    that I
    > > don't know how to use? It's true, not that I brag about it.
    >
    > Huh? You seemed to brag about it in your post. My point was your gloating reply is offensive, mean
    > spirited, and unjustified. Sometimes people get things that don't have manuals, they go missing,
    > and they need to ask basic questions. I also might point out that, although you are an obvious
    > master of holding on to and reading manuals, your deficiencies in other areas, say empathy and
    > human spirit are quite obvious.

    Though this ain't no place for a pissing match, I'll grant you one more reply.

    The poster suggested she should feel silly. The reason is (and she knows
    it) that she know's she was being lazy. I just agreed ... rightly so.

    > > >Those people who have simple questions should lock themselves in their basements and never
    > > >emerge to disturb the smart, responsible likes of you.
    > >
    > > Why must you be so extreme. The person's too lazy to read the owner's manual, so they ought to
    > > be embarrassed to ask a lame question. Anyway, whoever said I was responsible? I just learned in
    > > childhood not to
    trouble
    > > others with things you can do for yourself (with the same or less
    effort, I
    > > might add).
    > >

    > I must be so extreme because you insulted (and quite directly, I might add, as opposed to subtly
    > pointing out a URL or something that might suggest the info is there if they want to find it)
    > someone who posted a simple question that several people seemed quite willing to answer.

    Wait! Where was the insult?

    > You, on the other hand, wasted your time reading and replying to a question you felt disdain for
    > (not to mention that you have now goaded me in to a meaningless and most likely fruitless
    > argument). I am rarely confrontational, but I get a little overexcited when people such as
    > yourself are so agressively insulting to someone who is being quite reasonable.
    >
    > > >Or... Maybe you could grow up.
    > >
    > > Grow up enough to, say, use my real name nitwit, er, Whitfit??
    > >

    > Thanks for proving my point (oh yeah, the correct word in that case is grown).

    Well, I am a bit brusque, but I will continue. I think the original poster probably learned
    something from my post (besides the fact that I'm an asshole ... but she never piped up on it) and
    perhaps won't waste bandwith (like I am right now) with lazy questions.

    The truth is, I love to help people, but only if they've shown *some* effort.

    I'm sorry, what's your name again?

    Robin Hubert

  17. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    the topeak pump! a beauty, no? take it apart! comes apart at the bottom. lube with fresh phil wood.
    know the cho bottle in the super? put a cap full of P.wod in the barrel and film the parts/valves
    over. Ah, now it goes, snuck snuck snuck. and pumps 30% more air! amazing device. If weall got
    together on this little marvel about 35 pages of how-to wud pile up and ewed think wez trying to run
    an autopilot or sumpthing. the rubber gizmo behind the brazz nuggin tends to bloat after contact
    with BM's selfsealing tubes. if when drunk the rider does not allow the tube to drain before letting
    the last air out. this tends to gum up the works and the threads at the biz end no longer work.
    forcing the issue only moves the unit toward destruction. gotta clean the works. drop the brass
    nuggin in CHO straight. this gumup with or without the selfsealant will keep the keeper function
    from functioning and the bizend pops off. fooling with the cleaning patiently restores.NEVER ram the
    plunger down to the barrels bottom. this is unseemly. give the little tube some slack.snucksnuck. in
    fact touch
    it. gets hot. let it cool down before plunging ahead to 140. Question: 1) how much air does it pump,
    2)is the max pressure dependent on the tire/tube capacity or can I pump the 110 combo to 135?,
    and 3)what are the proper uses of the velcro strap? the velcro strap does'nt make much sense at
    34 degrees? lube everthing that moves with teflon with wax!! tube pivots, ect. neat. glad i
    bought one.

  18. John Albergo

    John Albergo Guest

    --------------080606030502020606000606 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

    Scic wrote:

    >>From: John Albergo
    >>

    >>Tap the pin once or twice momentarily with your finger to break the seal and
    >>

    >let a puff of air out (is this what you meant by
    >

    >>"whack the head"?).
    >>

    >No. I do break the seal after unscrewing the pin. I have to whack the head of the pump to start air
    >flowing (into the tube). Pump seems OK; it's something with the presta valve. I buy cheaper butyl
    >tubes. Maybe the threads of the pin hang up on a burr at the end of the valve body? Unlike most
    >schraeder valves, it seems there's a range of quality among prestas.
    >
    >Sig Chicago.

    In rereading I'm reminded you said this doesn't happen with your other pump? Does that mean even
    with the same tube? In that case then whatever the whakcing is fixing is in the pump. I should have
    picked up on this the first time.

    --------------080606030502020606000606 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
    cite="[email protected]"> <blockquote type="cite"> <pre wrap="">From:
    wrap="">Tap the pin once or twice momentarily with your finger to break the seal and </pre>
    No. I do break the seal after unscrewing the pin. I have to whack the head of the pump to start air
    flowing (into the tube). Pump seems OK; it's something with the presta valve. I buy cheaper butyl
    tubes. Maybe the threads of the pin hang up on a burr at the end of the valve body? Unlike most
    schraeder valves, it seems there's a range of quality among prestas.

    Sig Chicago. </pre> </blockquote> <blockquote type="cite"
    cite="[email protected]"> </blockquote> <pre wrap="">In rereading I'm