Topeak Gear Question

I've been thinking it's time to buy a new trunk bag for my commuter
bike. This bike has a Topeak rear rack on it, an "Explorer." I don't
know much about the Topeak line, but I understand that their bags mate
with their racks by sliding in, rather than by being strapped on.
So my question for some kind, patient, knowledgeable person is, do all
Topeak trunks fit all Topeak racks, or is there some crucial detail I
need to know?

Many thanks,
Bill

__o | Originality is nothing but judicious imitation
_`\(,_ | --Voltaire
(_)/ (_) |

Mike Kruger

Guest
[email protected] wrote:
> I've been thinking it's time to buy a new trunk bag for my commuter
> bike. This bike has a Topeak rear rack on it, an "Explorer." I don't
> know much about the Topeak line, but I understand that their bags mate
> with their racks by sliding in, rather than by being strapped on.
> So my question for some kind, patient, knowledgeable person is, do
> all Topeak trunks fit all Topeak racks, or is there some crucial
> detail I need to know?

http://www.topeak.com/2007/products/racks/rackmain.php
You're looking for QuickTrack compatible.

It's a nice system. Holds the rack much more securely than Velcro strips,
and is faster to get in and out.

Aeek

Guest
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 01:54:47 +0000 (UTC), [email protected]
wrote:

> So my question for some kind, patient, knowledgeable person is, do all
>Topeak trunks fit all Topeak racks, or is there some crucial detail I
>need to know?

Depends how old the rack is, they changed the rails some years ago.

On Oct 9, 8:54 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> I've been thinking it's time to buy a new trunk bag for my commuter
> bike. This bike has a Topeak rear rack on it, an "Explorer." I don't
> know much about the Topeak line, but I understand that their bags mate
> with their racks by sliding in, rather than by being strapped on.
> So my question for some kind, patient, knowledgeable person is, do all
> Topeak trunks fit all Topeak racks, or is there some crucial detail I
> need to know?
>
> Many thanks,
> Bill
>
> __o | Originality is nothing but judicious imitation
> _`\(,_ | --Voltaire
> (_)/ (_) |

I use the Topeak QuickTrack system. Based on the following link, I
don't think your Explorer rack will accept a MTX Trunk Bag, because it
is not 'QuickTrack compatable' http://www.topeak.com/2007/products/racks/rackmain.php
..

The orange quick release mechanism snaps into place, by a spring
mechanism.

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/rack_bag1.jpg

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/rack_bag2.jpg

I don't use a rear fender, so when the weather is bad, spray from the
rear tire tends to get into the track, making it difficult for the bag
to slide on/off. At that point, one needs to use a wet cloth to clean
both the rack part and the bag part of the track. Not a big deal.

At some point, the bag zippers do not work very well anymore, but I
suppose that is the same with non-Topeak bags.

- J.