topeak mtx beamrack with carbon seat post?

I was considering adding a rear rack to a bike with a carbon fiber
frame.
The docs for the topeak mtx beamrack indicate that its not suitable or
intended for use with a carbon fiber seat post.

http://www.topeak.com/2006/products/racks/mtxbeamrack.php

Has anyone tried this configuration for occassional light touring and
commuting, say with the use of a metal sleeve to increase the length of
seat post that the force would be applied to ... or should I just get a
new seat post for use with the rack?

thanks.

-bdbafh

On 29 Jun 2006 10:34:18 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I was considering adding a rear rack to a bike with a carbon fiber
>frame.
>The docs for the topeak mtx beamrack indicate that its not suitable or
>intended for use with a carbon fiber seat post.
>
>http://www.topeak.com/2006/products/racks/mtxbeamrack.php
>
>Has anyone tried this configuration for occassional light touring and
>commuting, say with the use of a metal sleeve to increase the length of
>seat post that the force would be applied to ... or should I just get a
>new seat post for use with the rack?

A local bike shop has a box of failed seat posts removed from customer
bikes. The two most common classes of failure are carbon posts that
were incorrectly clamped (which is what Topeak is warning against) and
any kind of post that was run above the minimum insertion line.

While you might be able to make the Topeak rack work with a carbon
post, you won't find out that it's *un*safe until it fails, at which
point it's too late to do anything but walk. I'd acquire the longest
aluminum post that can be inserted in the seat tube while providing an
adequate seat height, and use that to mount the rack.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Werehatrack wrote:
> On 29 Jun 2006 10:34:18 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >I was considering adding a rear rack to a bike with a carbon fiber
> >frame.
> >The docs for the topeak mtx beamrack indicate that its not suitable or
> >intended for use with a carbon fiber seat post.
> >
> >http://www.topeak.com/2006/products/racks/mtxbeamrack.php
> >
> >Has anyone tried this configuration for occassional light touring and
> >commuting, say with the use of a metal sleeve to increase the length of
> >seat post that the force would be applied to ... or should I just get a
> >new seat post for use with the rack?

> A local bike shop has a box of failed seat posts removed from customer
> bikes. The two most common classes of failure are carbon posts that
> were incorrectly clamped (which is what Topeak is warning against) and
> any kind of post that was run above the minimum insertion line.
>
> While you might be able to make the Topeak rack work with a carbon
> post, you won't find out that it's *un*safe until it fails, at which
> point it's too late to do anything but walk. I'd acquire the longest
> aluminum post that can be inserted in the seat tube while providing an
> adequate seat height, and use that to mount the rack.
> --

Thanks for the advice.
My LBS was happy to provide a new Al seat post along with a new
(matching) seat and fit.
No way did I want to have to unmount/remount a seat every time I want
to make a laundry or grocery (read: beer) run.
I'm off for a celebratory beer run.

That Topeak setup sure is sweet.

-bdbafh