Topeak Panoram Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentcruiser

Apr 18, 2003
I have a Topeak Panoram. For one reason or another, I have a harness that is split pretty badly. Does anyone know where I can buy a harness only (basically everything minus the computer & spoke magnet)? My LBS did not know.

any LBS that deals with JB importers has access to them in their catalog.

bentcruiser wrote:
> I have a Topeak Panoram. For one reason or another, I have a harness that is split pretty badly.
> Does anyone know where I can buy a harness only (basically everything minus the computer & spoke
> magnet)? My LBS did not know.
>
>
>
> --
> Derek, Burley Canto
>
>
>>--------------------------<
>
> Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

Right now, the long wire harness version is unavailable through whoever my LBS deals with. Topeak also told me the long wire harness is unavailable.

Could try a BikeE Cyclometer. It was made for BikeE by Topeak & has the long harness and because it
has the BikeE name on it...it goes for 1/2 the price of the Panoram. I have seen them showing up new
on Ebay and at Braun's Online bike shop.
"DrJoel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Try the Hostelshoppe. www.hostelshoppe.com
>
> "bentcruiser" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Right now, the long wire harness version is unavailable through whoever my LBS deals with.
> > Topeak also told me the long wire harness is unavailable.
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Derek, Burley Canto
> >
> > >--------------------------<
> > Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

Originally posted by Wile E. Coyote
Could try a BikeE Cyclometer. It was made for BikeE by Topeak & has the long harness and because it has the BikeE name on it...it goes for 1/2 the price of the Panoram...

Actually the BikeE computer was made by Vetta. But thanks anyway.

you could try Walmart, they were carrying them under a different name at one time, for half the
price of topeak's, exact same. Not sure if they still do though. Ironically, i split my cable this
summer also. it is easy to splice and tape it though.

bentcruiser wrote:
> Wile E. Coyote wrote:
> > Could try a BikeE Cyclometer. It was made for BikeE by Topeak & has the long harness and
> > because it has the BikeE name on it...it goes for 1/2 the price of the Panoram...
>
>
>
> Actually the BikeE computer was made by Vetta. But thanks anyway.
>
>
>
> --
> Derek, Burley Canto
>
>
>>--------------------------<
>

I don't want to show anyone up, but bicycle computers ain't rocket science. The pickup on the end of
the wire is merly a reed switch that the magnet passing by causes to close. Reed switches are cheap
(radio shack). wire--any kind of two conductor will do. Solder a reed switch on one end of the wire
and attach the other end onto your computer and you have replaced the harness. I don't believe how
many posts there are about the harness is too short or the pickup isn't working. lengthen the wire
(harness) with another piece of wire and tape the connections and it will work. There is no voltage
envolved. To check out the computer, short out the conections on the back of the computer rapidly
and see if the display changes. the faster you open and close the terminals--the faster your wheel
is spinning. If you get a readout the you have a problem with the reed switch or the wire. that is
all there is to the computer.

Mark

BikeE owner

Vetta...maybe but the one I was looking at was decaled BikeE and on the back of the case it said
"Made by Topeak" and it waas identical in functions and appearance to the Panoram. I have see the
BikeE Vetta and it did not look like the Panoram. Anyway probably hard to find them now with
BikeE gone.

"bentbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> you could try Walmart, they were carrying them under a different name at one time, for half the
> price of topeak's, exact same. Not sure if they still do though. Ironically, i split my cable this
> summer also. it is easy to splice and tape it though.
>
> bentcruiser wrote:
> > Wile E. Coyote wrote:
> > > Could try a BikeE Cyclometer. It was made for BikeE by Topeak & has
the
> > > long harness and because it has the BikeE name on it...it goes for
1/2
> > > the price of the Panoram...
> >
> >
> >
> > Actually the BikeE computer was made by Vetta. But thanks anyway.
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Derek, Burley Canto
> >
> >
> >>--------------------------<
> >
> > Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

Originally posted by Wile E. Coyote
Vetta...maybe but the one I was looking at was decaled BikeE and on the back of the case it said "Made by Topeak" and it waas identical in functions and appearance to the Panoram. I have see the BikeE Vetta and it did not look like the Panoram. Anyway probably hard to find them now with
BikeE gone.

Oh, oh, oh. My apologies. I now recall that there were two BikeE computers made now that I read your post. I had forgotten the later model that wasn't out long before BikeE's demise.

I was thinking of the diamond shaped one. That one is Vetta.

bentcruiser <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a Topeak Panoram. For one reason or another, I have a harness that is split pretty badly.
> Does anyone know where I can buy a harness only (basically everything minus the computer & spoke
> magnet)? My LBS did not know.

performancebike.com sells them for $7.99.

Thanks to all who responded to my post. I have decided that this is a chance to try something new on my bike. I found a brand new Planet Bike Protoge 9.0 for $20. I am going to try it.

You won't go wrong, I had one for a long time and it has a long cable available.

"bentcruiser" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks to all who responded to my post. I have decided that this is a chance to try something new
> on my bike. I found a brand new Planet Bike Protoge 9.0 for $20. I am going to try it.
>
>
>
> --
> Derek, Burley Canto
>
> >--------------------------<

I saw that model on Ebay today and thought it looked better than my (use a magnifying glass to read
Cateye). Tell us how she works for you.

Just had a thought...(ouch) those Reevue Helmets from the U.K., cool if in place of the mirror one
could get a visual readout from sensors on their bent and heartrate, pulse etc. on a wide screen
where the mirror goes.

Not sure about the Paper Printout by tapping your helmet 3 times. Better watch it here...John Acre
at BigHa might incorporate this feature in BigHa Version 2.
"bentcruiser" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks to all who responded to my post. I have decided that this is a chance to try something new
> on my bike. I found a brand new Planet Bike Protoge 9.0 for $20. I am going to try it.
>
>
>
> --
> Derek, Burley Canto
>
> >--------------------------<

Status
Not open for further replies.