Topeak Road Morph pump?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Martyn Bolt, Dec 30, 2005.

  1. Martyn Bolt

    Martyn Bolt Guest

    Has anyone any experience with this type of pump?

    I have a crank Bros 'power pump' which IMHO could be replaced by a
    can of beans.

    Looking for a compact pump as the audax bike builder, ( self
    proclaimed world's finest wheel and frame builder, based in Liverpool)
    forgot to put pump pips on the bike when building it.

    Cheers , good riding
    Martyn
     
    Tags:


  2. Rod King

    Rod King Guest

    Martyn

    I've had a Road Morph pump for about 4 years now. Its one with th ebuilt in
    guage and it works very well. It's toured all round Europe and UK on my
    Windcheetah.

    There's a little rust on the top of the pump tube, but other than that its
    in excellent condition. If I was to replace it I would go for the same
    again.

    Best regards

    Rod King


    "Martyn Bolt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Has anyone any experience with this type of pump?
    >
    > I have a crank Bros 'power pump' which IMHO could be replaced by a
    > can of beans.
    >
    > Looking for a compact pump as the audax bike builder, ( self
    > proclaimed world's finest wheel and frame builder, based in Liverpool)
    > forgot to put pump pips on the bike when building it.
    >
    > Cheers , good riding
    > Martyn
     
  3. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Martyn Bolt wrote:
    > Has anyone any experience with this type of pump?
    >
    > I have a crank Bros 'power pump' which IMHO could be replaced by a
    > can of beans.
    >
    > Looking for a compact pump as the audax bike builder, ( self
    > proclaimed world's finest wheel and frame builder, based in Liverpool)
    > forgot to put pump pips on the bike when building it.
    >
    > Cheers , good riding
    > Martyn

    Blackburn Airstick is OK as far as mini pumps go. I much prefer frame
    fit pumps though.
     
  4. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 08:54:40 GMT, Martyn Bolt
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Has anyone any experience with this type of pump?
    >
    >I have a crank Bros 'power pump' which IMHO could be replaced by a
    >can of beans.
    >
    >Looking for a compact pump as the audax bike builder, ( self
    >proclaimed world's finest wheel and frame builder, based in Liverpool)
    >forgot to put pump pips on the bike when building it.
    >

    Or get a plastic band on pump peg and fit a full sizerd pump under the
    top tube. Works for me.


    Tim
     
  5. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, MSeries
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Martyn Bolt wrote:
    >> Has anyone any experience with this type of pump?
    >>
    >> I have a crank Bros 'power pump' which IMHO could be replaced by a
    >> can of beans.
    >>
    >> Looking for a compact pump as the audax bike builder, ( self
    >> proclaimed world's finest wheel and frame builder, based in Liverpool)
    >> forgot to put pump pips on the bike when building it.

    >
    > Blackburn Airstick is OK as far as mini pumps go. I much prefer frame
    > fit pumps though.


    That's what I was going to say. the Road Morph is a good bit of kit and
    gets up to 110psi with less work than an Airstick; but an Airstick will
    get there and it's a lot less bulky to carry around all the time you're
    not using it.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; So, before proceeding with definitive screwing, choose the
    ;; position most congenital.
    -- instructions for fitting bicycle handlebars
     
  6. P

    P Guest

    Martyn Bolt wrote:
    > Has anyone any experience with this type of pump?
    >
    > I have a crank Bros 'power pump' which IMHO could be replaced by a
    > can of beans.
    >
    > Looking for a compact pump as the audax bike builder, ( self
    > proclaimed world's finest wheel and frame builder, based in Liverpool)
    > forgot to put pump pips on the bike when building it.


    If it's a new frame, wouldn't it be cheaper to send it back and ask them to
    finish the job as specified?

    Alternatively, get a pump that fits under the top tube.

    Pete
     
  7. I Use a mountain morph - essentially the same and think they are great!

    Mike

    "Martyn Bolt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Has anyone any experience with this type of pump?
    >
    > I have a crank Bros 'power pump' which IMHO could be replaced by a
    > can of beans.
    >
    > Looking for a compact pump as the audax bike builder, ( self
    > proclaimed world's finest wheel and frame builder, based in Liverpool)
    > forgot to put pump pips on the bike when building it.
    >
    > Cheers , good riding
    > Martyn
     
  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Martyn Bolt wrote:
    > Looking for a compact pump as the audax bike builder, ( self
    > proclaimed world's finest wheel and frame builder, based in Liverpool)
    > forgot to put pump pips on the bike when building it.


    Cable tie around head tube - makes a good pip for an HPX. Nothing needed
    at other end.

    ~PB
     
  9. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Martyn Bolt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Has anyone any experience with this type of pump?



    Very good pump until it got nicked. Rapid inflating to high pressures and
    the pump I've got since (Blackburn Mammoth) has bent 3 valve stems which the
    Morph doesn't do since it has a flexible hose.

    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net
     
  10. Martyn Bolt wrote:
    > Has anyone any experience with this type of pump?
    >
    > I have a crank Bros 'power pump' which IMHO could be replaced by a
    > can of beans.
    >
    > Looking for a compact pump as the audax bike builder, ( self
    > proclaimed world's finest wheel and frame builder, based in Liverpool)
    > forgot to put pump pips on the bike when building it.
    >
    > Cheers , good riding
    > Martyn


    I use the Topeak Mountain Morph, which I think is a bit shorter, though
    Topeak's site gives equal dimensions for both. It is excellent, but if I was
    replacing it, I'd get the one with the built-in guage, to stop me
    over-inflating the tyres.
    --


    Martin Bulmer
     
  11. Taka

    Taka Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:50:19 GMT, "Michael Ormond"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I Use a mountain morph - essentially the same and think they are great!
    >
    >Mike
    >
    >"Martyn Bolt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Has anyone any experience with this type of pump?
    >>
    >> I have a crank Bros 'power pump' which IMHO could be replaced by a
    >> can of beans.
    >>
    >> Looking for a compact pump as the audax bike builder, ( self
    >> proclaimed world's finest wheel and frame builder, based in Liverpool)
    >> forgot to put pump pips on the bike when building it.
    >>
    >> Cheers , good riding
    >> Martyn

    >


    Hello Martyn,

    I also have a Mountain Morph but I find it difficult using it with
    Presta valves. Does it work well for you?

    Does anyone know of any pumps that come with screw-in adaptors for
    presta valves rather than the ones that just pinch the valve?

    Thank you
    Taka
     
  12. Taka wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:50:19 GMT, "Michael Ormond"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I Use a mountain morph - essentially the same and think they are
    >> great!
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>
    >> "Martyn Bolt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> Has anyone any experience with this type of pump?
    >>>
    >>> I have a crank Bros 'power pump' which IMHO could be replaced by a
    >>> can of beans.
    >>>
    >>> Looking for a compact pump as the audax bike builder, ( self
    >>> proclaimed world's finest wheel and frame builder, based in
    >>> Liverpool) forgot to put pump pips on the bike when building it.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers , good riding
    >>> Martyn

    >>

    >
    > Hello Martyn,
    >
    > I also have a Mountain Morph but I find it difficult using it with
    > Presta valves. Does it work well for you?
    >
    > Does anyone know of any pumps that come with screw-in adaptors for
    > presta valves rather than the ones that just pinch the valve?
    >
    > Thank you
    > Taka


    I've had no problem using the mountain morph with prestas. If I remember
    rightly, the rubber bit in the thingy that clamps onto the valve has to be
    removed, reversed, and returned.
    Or, just what you wanted========
    http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=125
    Bear in mind that this is for a unicycle., but at 99p each, you could fit
    out a fleet of trikes without breaking the bank.
    --


    Martin Bulmer
     
  13. Taka

    Taka Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:02:13 -0000, "Martin Bulmer"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Taka wrote:
    >> On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:50:19 GMT, "Michael Ormond"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I Use a mountain morph - essentially the same and think they are
    >>> great!
    >>>
    >>> Mike
    >>>
    >>> "Martyn Bolt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]
    >>>> Has anyone any experience with this type of pump?
    >>>>
    >>>> I have a crank Bros 'power pump' which IMHO could be replaced by a
    >>>> can of beans.
    >>>>
    >>>> Looking for a compact pump as the audax bike builder, ( self
    >>>> proclaimed world's finest wheel and frame builder, based in
    >>>> Liverpool) forgot to put pump pips on the bike when building it.
    >>>>
    >>>> Cheers , good riding
    >>>> Martyn
    >>>

    >>
    >> Hello Martyn,
    >>
    >> I also have a Mountain Morph but I find it difficult using it with
    >> Presta valves. Does it work well for you?
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of any pumps that come with screw-in adaptors for
    >> presta valves rather than the ones that just pinch the valve?
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >> Taka

    >
    >I've had no problem using the mountain morph with prestas. If I remember
    >rightly, the rubber bit in the thingy that clamps onto the valve has to be
    >removed, reversed, and returned.
    >Or, just what you wanted========
    >http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=125
    >Bear in mind that this is for a unicycle., but at 99p each, you could fit
    >out a fleet of trikes without breaking the bank.


    Hi Martin,

    I did try this but maybe I am doing something wrong. I can't push the
    pump adapter onto the valve very far and while I am pumping it
    normally leaks air.

    Thanks for this link!

    Thank you
    Taka
     
  14. Alex Potter

    Alex Potter Guest

    Martin Bulmer wrote on Friday 30 December 2005 17:16:

    > I use the Topeak Mountain Morph, which I think is a bit shorter,
    > though Topeak's site gives equal dimensions for both. It is excellent,
    > but if I was replacing it, I'd get the one with the built-in guage, to
    > stop me over-inflating the tyres.


    I use a Mountain Morph. It is indeed an excellent pump. I too wish it
    had a gauge.
    --
    Regards
    Alex
    The From address above is a spam-trap.
    The Reply-To address is valid
     
  15. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Martin Bulmer
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Martyn Bolt wrote:
    >> Has anyone any experience with this type of pump?
    >>
    >> I have a crank Bros 'power pump' which IMHO could be replaced by a
    >> can of beans.
    >>
    >> Looking for a compact pump as the audax bike builder, ( self
    >> proclaimed world's finest wheel and frame builder, based in Liverpool)
    >> forgot to put pump pips on the bike when building it.

    >
    > I use the Topeak Mountain Morph, which I think is a bit shorter, though
    > Topeak's site gives equal dimensions for both. It is excellent, but if
    > I was replacing it, I'd get the one with the built-in guage, to stop me
    > over-inflating the tyres.


    Be aware that the Mountain Morph is a lower pressure pump designed for
    MTB tyres (typical max pressure 60psi), whereas the Road Morph is
    designed for road bike tyres (typical pressure 110psi). You /can/ use a
    road pump for a mountain bike, but it will take more work; you /can't/
    use a mountain bike pump on a road bike, because it won't achieve the
    pressure you need.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    There are no messages. The above is just a random stream of
    bytes. Any opinion or meaning you find in it is your own creation.
     
  16. Alex Potter

    Alex Potter Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote on Friday 30 December 2005 21:28:

    > Be aware that the Mountain Morph is a lower pressure pump designed for
    > MTB tyres (typical max pressure 60psi), whereas the Road Morph is
    > designed for road bike tyres (typical pressure 110psi). You /can/ use
    > a road pump for a mountain bike, but it will take more work; you
    > /can't/ use a mountain bike pump on a road bike, because it won't
    > achieve the pressure you need.
    >


    Inflates up to 160psi according to
    http://www.topeak.com/products/pump_012.html.

    The pump body seems very similar in all their Morph models - the
    differences appear to be in the hoses and gauges - all are said to
    inflate to 160psi.

    --
    Regards
    Alex
    The From address above is a spam-trap.
    The Reply-To address is valid
     
  17. Taka wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:02:13 -0000, "Martin Bulmer"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I've had no problem using the mountain morph with prestas. If I
    >> remember rightly, the rubber bit in the thingy that clamps onto the
    >> valve has to be removed, reversed, and returned.
    >> Or, just what you wanted========
    >> http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=125
    >> Bear in mind that this is for a unicycle., but at 99p each, you
    >> could fit out a fleet of trikes without breaking the bank.

    >
    > Hi Martin,
    >
    > I did try this but maybe I am doing something wrong. I can't push the
    > pump adapter onto the valve very far and while I am pumping it
    > normally leaks air.
    >
    > Thanks for this link!
    >
    > Thank you
    > Taka


    You need the rubber valve seal situated so that the smaller diameter is
    visible when you look at the nozzle. I don't know what you do & don't know,
    so forgive me if I'm being too obvious, but you have to loosen/unscrew the
    small barrel on the valve itself, then briefly press the end of the valve to
    "unlock" it. Then press the nozzle down onto the valve end, then lift the
    lever on the nozzle. This operates a cam which holds the nozzle in position.
    There's a fold-out foot plate on the pump which you rest on the floor, and
    the handle folds out through 90 degrees to give you a good grip, then place
    your foot on the foot plate & pump. Never fails (unless the seal in the
    nozzle is damaged).
    --


    Martin Bulmer
     
  18. Alex Potter wrote:
    > Martin Bulmer wrote on Friday 30 December 2005 17:16:
    >
    >> I use the Topeak Mountain Morph, which I think is a bit shorter,
    >> though Topeak's site gives equal dimensions for both. It is
    >> excellent, but if I was replacing it, I'd get the one with the
    >> built-in guage, to stop me over-inflating the tyres.

    >
    > I use a Mountain Morph. It is indeed an excellent pump. I too wish it
    > had a gauge.


    Some do. You have to pay extra.
    http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/topeak_morph_turbo_road_pump.html
    I know nothing about this shop, so I'm not endorsing it, merely using its
    site to point to the pump plus guage. Mine hasn't got a guage, and I'm happy
    with it.
    --


    Martin Bulmer
     
  19. Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>, Martin Bulmer
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> Martyn Bolt wrote:
    >>> Has anyone any experience with this type of pump?
    >>>
    >>> I have a crank Bros 'power pump' which IMHO could be replaced by a
    >>> can of beans.
    >>>
    >>> Looking for a compact pump as the audax bike builder, ( self
    >>> proclaimed world's finest wheel and frame builder, based in
    >>> Liverpool) forgot to put pump pips on the bike when building it.

    >>
    >> I use the Topeak Mountain Morph, which I think is a bit shorter,
    >> though Topeak's site gives equal dimensions for both. It is
    >> excellent, but if I was replacing it, I'd get the one with the
    >> built-in guage, to stop me over-inflating the tyres.

    >
    > Be aware that the Mountain Morph is a lower pressure pump designed for
    > MTB tyres (typical max pressure 60psi), whereas the Road Morph is
    > designed for road bike tyres (typical pressure 110psi). You /can/ use
    > a road pump for a mountain bike, but it will take more work; you
    > /can't/ use a mountain bike pump on a road bike, because it won't
    > achieve the pressure you need.


    It will. And more.
    --


    Martin Bulmer
     

  20. >>> I've had no problem using the mountain morph with prestas. If I
    >>> remember rightly, the rubber bit in the thingy that clamps onto the
    >>> valve has to be removed, reversed, and returned.
    >>> Or, just what you wanted========


    >> I did try this but maybe I am doing something wrong. I can't push the
    >> pump adapter onto the valve very far and while I am pumping it
    >> normally leaks air.
    >>

    You have to reverse not just the rubber bit, but the plastic widget underneath
    the rubber bit too. Took me a bit to find out, had to visit the shop and find
    one with a manual...

    I have both road and mountain morph, and the mountain morph is shorter and
    fatter than the road. Both pump to 110+ psi (wich is all my tires will
    tolerate), but the road is much easier to use, almost as good as a track pump.
    Then there's the Sigma Lambda series of morphing pumps; a bit shorter still than
    the mountain morph, but more robust (my Topeaks keep getting unscrewed
    internally, and the frame mount is a single piece of plastic that I managed to
    break twice) and with a clever mounting system. The valve clamping lever is a
    bit large, but can easily be trimmed down for use on smaller tires.
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=P&Cat=PUMPS&Section=PUMM&GenCode=SIGMPUMM0300

    If you plan to have a lot of punctures, get the road morph (and some Loctite),
    if not the Sigma might be a better choice.

    Mark van Gorkom.


    P.S.: Quickex makes a mini- pump that stays on the frame http://www.quickex.com/
    (click on quicker pro stationary) but it does occupy the downtube bottle bosses
    (provided your builder hasn't forgot those too).
     
Loading...
Loading...