Topeak Trunk bag doesn't fit rack

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mary, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Mary

    Mary Guest

    I have a brand new Topeak QT Trunk bag for a MX style rack. I also bought a rack but it does not fit
    the bag. The rack is a QR Beam Rack MTX. Is there someway I can make this work? Conversion kit, may
    be? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Mary

    Tags:

  2. Ed

    Ed Guest

    [email protected] (Mary) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a brand new Topeak QT Trunk bag for a MX style rack. I also bought a rack but it does not
    > fit the bag. The rack is a QR Beam Rack MTX. Is there someway I can make this work? Conversion
    > kit, may be? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Mary

    Topeak always designed their bags to fit their racks. Any other rack and your taking a chance.

  3. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    "MX style-- fits only TOPEAK MX style racks --- WILL NOT FIT RX or MTX racks"
    From the Topeak website at URL:
    http://tinyurl.com/36rz6
    You need a compatible rack/bag combination.
    Topeak makes 2 different systems.

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Mary wrote:
    > I have a brand new Topeak QT Trunk bag for a MX style rack. I also bought a rack but it does not
    > fit the bag. The rack is a QR Beam Rack MTX. Is there someway I can make this work? Conversion
    > kit, may be? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    And you thought they would fit? Me too!

    Topeak had a nice idea there but we're now on the third generation of track shape. I didn't see any
    problem but they keep changing it.

    Return one or both items for matching parts.

  5. Greg Estep

    Greg Estep Guest

    "Mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a brand new Topeak QT Trunk bag for a MX style rack. I also bought a rack but it does not
    > fit the bag. The rack is a QR Beam Rack MTX. Is there someway I can make this work? Conversion
    > kit, may be? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Mary

    Yeah, I got burned by this myself. I own a rack and bag that are compatible, but wanted a new,
    larger bag for my 50 mile RT commute. The new bag wasn't compatible, but I liked the design plus I
    bought it out-of-town (Richardson Bike Mart in Dallas, I live in Cincinnati), so I just kept it.
    Instead of using the "quick connect" feature I use the Velcro straps that are supposed to be used
    with non-Topeak racks.

    I would like to hear both the marketing and the design departments reason for having
    different designs. When I bought the bag, compatibility with my current rack wasn't even the
    remotest of concerns.

    --
    Greg Estep