Topo Software is Cool!

William Holiday <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I have one question comparing the legend and the vista. The legend stores a
> thousand waypoints, the vista 3 times that amount. Does the legend store enough
> info for the extended weekend ride, say 60 miles, let alone the occasional
> century? I'm primarily concerned with the unit's ability to log my ride
> after-the-fact rather than anything it can do while I'm out there.
>
> all the best-wh.

You will have plenty of memory to store a weekends worth of rides, and
more. I stored 2 weeks worth of travel in Italy on my Legend in 2002.
I stored 10 days worth as we rode down the California coast last
fall. The main limitation on the Legend is the amount of area of
downloadable maps it can hold. The downloadable maps are highly
detailed and often with ancillary data; the main source of these are
the Garmin Mapsource products. You do not need these, but in some
instances they are nice to have. The Legend has 8Mb of memory, the
Vista 24Mb. With the Legend I can download the west and south sides
of SF Bay, for example, but not the entire Bay area. With the Vista I
have the whole Bay area and all the coastal regions down to Santa
Barbara, with room for a bit more left.

BTW, the logs are recordings while you ride; it is stored internally
and then you can download it to someplace else.

- rick