Topolino Wheels

jlowers

Apr 8, 2004
I need some advise. I have been riding mavic comic elete. I crashed bad and the front wheel is wrenched too much to repair. Since I'm going to replace the front wheel I thought I would shop for something better. I have a topolino front wheel loaner from the bike shop. What a difference. I think I'm hooked but I don't know much about topolino and I was wondering if they have been reviewed by any organization? I any advise.
Thanks
Jim

Originally posted by jlowers
I need some advise. I have been riding mavic comic elete. I crashed bad and the front wheel is wrenched too much to repair. Since I'm going to replace the front wheel I thought I would shop for something better. I have a topolino front wheel loaner from the bike shop. What a difference. I think I'm hooked but I don't know much about topolino and I was wondering if they have been reviewed by any organization? I any advise.
Thanks
Jim

Topolino wheels have been debated on this forum several times.... consensus seems to be those that own them love them those that dont knock them......
I have never heard any topolino owner give a bad report....I have a set that I have not had a chance to really put through their paces but I have been reasonably impressed with what I have done except on hills where they are beyond compare with anything else I have riden....they Realy climb well.... :D

Thanks
Jim

Very interesting design; spokes seem ideal application of CF. Suspect these could be a future trend.

But, when you say "what a difference" on the front wheel, what do you mean? Are you talking about a smoother ride?

Thanks
Jim

They were mentioned on this forum:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=1827

Must be a little too new for this site:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/pscWheels/Wheelsets/PLS_2490_00_50crx.aspx

(Did you try a search of this site?) Good luck!

Thanks
Jim

Spokes seem like a very good application of CF; I like the design of these a lot and think CF spokes could be a new trend.

When you say "what a difference", are you talking about the ride? Can you describe the difference please.

Originally posted by dhk
Spokes seem like a very good application of CF; I like the design of these a lot and think CF spokes could be a new trend.

When you say "what a difference", are you talking about the ride? Can you describe the difference please.

Thanks...
The ride is soft. I feel more control in tight turns and high speed. It seems Like I can eccelerate better. And they are very stealth.
I don't have the rear wheel yet but I'm going to try this weekend.
They are pricy. $849 where ever i look.
jim

Thanks...
The ride is soft. I feel more control in tight turns and high speed. It seems Like I can eccelerate better. And they are very stealth.
I don't have the rear wheel yet but I'm going to try this weekend.
They are pricy. $849 where ever i look.
jim

Thanks. All sounds great except the price...just more than I want to pay for wheels. That may come down if and when more composite spoke designs come out.

Originally posted by dhk
Thanks. All sounds great except the price...just more than I want to pay for wheels. That may come down if and when more composite spoke designs come out.

There is another with very similiar spokes, I think it is Belgian. it is a Tubular and 3x the price. Beloki uses them...if someone knows the brand would be good...

Originally posted by Fixey
There is another with very similiar spokes, I think it is Belgian. it is a Tubular and 3x the price. Beloki uses them...if someone knows the brand would be good...
ADAs, right?

I've heard a lot of great things about Toppos from folks using them, and as Fixey indicated, some skepticism from other circles. They're just radical enough that skepticism is perfectly understandable, at least until more of them have been out on the road for a few more years, and the customer feedback is more informed.

Still, they sure look like fun, and the buzz is good. More candy for the candy store!

Originally posted by Fixey

lok is right. ADAs:

http://www.ada.prorider.org/carbonwheel.html

They're $3000 - $3800 US, so, uh, a bit pricey, right? But then they're also 955 grams ... a pair. Jan rides them, too.