General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

topping for steaks

Started by Colonel Harrumph · · Last activity · 62 posts · 634 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 October 2007
Last activity
9 October 2007
Original author
Colonel Harrumph
Posts
62
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
634
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 62
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Miche said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    kilikini said:
    Sqwertz said:

    On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 12:43:17 -0700, Colonel Harrumph wrote:

    > If you have a whole juicy lemon and some Stilton cheese, you can make
    > a nice topping by crumbling the stilton and chopping the whole lemon
    > very fine. Then sprinkle a teaspoon of each over your steak after it
    > has grilled.

    The only topping a steak should have is salt, garlic, pepper and
    onion powder. And a pat of butter is certainly acceptable. Ripe
    cheese has no place on any kind of beef.

    IHS.

    Quoted message said:

    I agree with you, Steve. AND cook it as rare as rare can be.

    Onion powder? Ew. How about some caramelised real onions?

    Miche (who prefers food in her food)

    good, i'm not the only one to raise an eyebrow over onion powder.

    your pal,
    blake

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    jmcquown said:
    hahabogus said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in news:5ms842Ff589lU1
    @mid.individual.net:

    Quoted message said:

    Omelet wrote:
    > In article <[email hidden]>,
    > "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    >> Colonel Harrumph wrote:
    >>> If you have a whole juicy lemon and some Stilton cheese, you can
    >>> make a nice topping by crumbling the stilton and chopping the
    >>> whole lemon very fine. Then sprinkle a teaspoon of each over your
    >>> steak after it has grilled.
    >>>
    >>> Harrumph!
    >>
    >> This is assuming you like blue cheese. Stilton doesn't appeal to
    >> me. You can, however, drizzle a little melted herb butter over a
    >> nice rare steak and turn it into something even more spectacular
    >> than it already is!
    >>
    >> Jill
    >
    > Now _that_ I can go along with! :-)
    >
    > I've served butter over steaks but never thought of herbing it.
    >
    > What herbs do you use? Basil comes to mind for a start?

    Basil, dill, thyme, marjoram. 🙂

    We are talking steak here...ever heard of garlic?

    Of course, sweetie. But he asked about herbs to add to butter.

    She.

    ;-)
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

    "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

  3. "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Christine Dabney" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Ina Garten has a recipe for a tenderloin with Gorgonzola sauce in one
    of her Barefoot Contessa books. I know I heard someone here on rfc
    say that they had fixed it, and the combination was wonderful.

    Oh, how funny, this is like the steak I described. I only tried it
    because nothing else on the menu appealed to me. Glad I did.

    nancy

    My dad's single contribution to the culinary world was half blue cheese,
    half butter, mixed and served in a lump on hot steaks. I believe Ina Garten
    wasn't yet born.

    --
    http://www.judithgreenwood.com

  4. "Sqwertz" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Giusi said:

    Surely, you jest! You think it is OK to use dessicated garlic and onion,
    but not cheese? Bleaugh.

    Onion and garlic poiowders have their places. IN this case
    because they add a hint of taste without overpowering the whole
    point of cooking a steak.

    If I want beef and onions, I'll cook liver.

    -sw

    Sorry, but no. I could see making some galkric juice and/or onion juice and
    trying it, but that dried stuff, no way.

    --
    http://www.judithgreenwood.com

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    blake murphy said:
    Miche said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    kilikini said:

    Sqwertz wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 12:43:17 -0700, Colonel Harrumph wrote:
    >
    >> If you have a whole juicy lemon and some Stilton cheese, you can make
    >> a nice topping by crumbling the stilton and chopping the whole lemon
    >> very fine. Then sprinkle a teaspoon of each over your steak after it
    >> has grilled.
    >
    > The only topping a steak should have is salt, garlic, pepper and
    > onion powder. And a pat of butter is certainly acceptable. Ripe
    > cheese has no place on any kind of beef.
    >
    > IHS.

    Quoted message said:

    I agree with you, Steve. AND cook it as rare as rare can be.

    Onion powder? Ew. How about some caramelised real onions?

    Miche (who prefers food in her food)

    good, i'm not the only one to raise an eyebrow over onion powder.

    your pal,
    blake

    I don't use it as often as I used to, but I still use it for making
    chicken foot stock.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

    "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Giusi said:

    "Sqwertz" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Giusi said:

    Surely, you jest! You think it is OK to use dessicated garlic and onion,
    but not cheese? Bleaugh.

    Onion and garlic poiowders have their places. IN this case
    because they add a hint of taste without overpowering the whole
    point of cooking a steak.

    If I want beef and onions, I'll cook liver.

    -sw

    Sorry, but no. I could see making some galkric juice and/or onion juice and
    trying it, but that dried stuff, no way.

    Sorry but I have to agree with steve.

    Powdered onion and garlic DO have their place. I use them on pan fried
    chicken and also to make spiced coatings for deep fried stuff.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

    "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

  7. Omelet said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Sorry, but no. I could see making some galkric juice and/or onion juice and


    trying it, but that dried stuff, no way.

    Sorry but I have to agree with steve.

    Powdered onion and garlic DO have their place. I use them on pan fried
    chicken and also to make spiced coatings for deep fried stuff.

    I haven't used onion powder or onion salt in years, but I regularly use
    garlic powder. I add a little to bread crumbs when making oven fried
    chicken and I use it mixed with salt, pepper oregano and mint as a dried
    rub for grilled pork chops. It is definitely not a substitute for fresh or
    roasted garlic, but it has its uses.

  8. blake murphy said:
    Miche said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    kilikini said:

    Sqwertz wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 12:43:17 -0700, Colonel Harrumph wrote:
    >
    >> If you have a whole juicy lemon and some Stilton cheese, you can make
    >> a nice topping by crumbling the stilton and chopping the whole lemon
    >> very fine. Then sprinkle a teaspoon of each over your steak after it
    >> has grilled.
    >
    > The only topping a steak should have is salt, garlic, pepper and
    > onion powder. And a pat of butter is certainly acceptable. Ripe
    > cheese has no place on any kind of beef.
    >
    > IHS.

    Quoted message said:

    I agree with you, Steve. AND cook it as rare as rare can be.

    Onion powder? Ew. How about some caramelised real onions?

    Miche (who prefers food in her food)

    good, i'm not the only one to raise an eyebrow over onion powder.

    I don't personal;ly use it, just granulated garlic, course ground
    pepper, and kosher salt - always.

    And no, it doesn't taste like meatloaf. You need hamburger for
    that. Or maybe you're buying steaks that taste like hamburger to
    begin with.

    -sw

  9. Giusi said:

    Sorry, but no. I could see making some galkric juice and/or onion juice and
    trying it, but that dried stuff, no way.

    If you don't know that granulated onion and garlic have their
    places in cooking, then you're not a very experienced cook.

    -sw

  10. Re: topping for steaks

    Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Mon, Oct 8, 2007, 2:20am (EDT+4) From:
    [email hidden] (Sqwertz)

    <<<If you don't know that granulated onion and garlic have their places
    in cooking, then you're not a very experienced cook.
    -sw>>>
    --------------------------
    Sometimes a recipe will call for fresh garlic or onion,sometimes not.
    Granulated,minced or crushed garlic.onion,etc have always been
    incorporated in many large snd small restaurants.You can go in their
    kitchens and see the huge foodservice containers of the stuff.Where I
    worked it was used reguarly...except if a recipe or presentation called
    for fresh or sliced then it was done by hand...as in onion soup.When we
    made 10lbs of oriental chicken or quaqamole,and had to have multiple
    orders at lightening speed,the jarred minced garlic was used.Sometimes
    they are meant to enhance.not overpower.
    Being a garlic-a-holic Ive used the garlic powder on steak as long as I
    can remember.My cousin hates it.I asked "have you ever tried it?..no and
    she was,nt about to either.She just said"I dont think I'd like it"the
    eeeww factor.Just as I woud eeewwww at the thought of ruining a good
    steak or hotdog with catsup..to others its heaven....whatever floats
    your boat.....
    Cheers,Smitty

    "Food, Art and Films,What else do you need?...Well.."

  11. Omelet said:


    Well, McCormick makes a fantastic Italian Herb mix. I discovered it
    when I was making that Italian Stuffed Sausage last winter. Now it's
    a staple in my spice cabinet. I use it a lot now, almost as often as
    I use Salt free lemon pepper. <g>

    I use that on steaks all the time.

    I'd try that. I'll have to look for it. Thanks, Om.

    kili

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    kilikini said:
    Omelet said:


    Well, McCormick makes a fantastic Italian Herb mix. I discovered it
    when I was making that Italian Stuffed Sausage last winter. Now it's
    a staple in my spice cabinet. I use it a lot now, almost as often as
    I use Salt free lemon pepper. <g>

    I use that on steaks all the time.

    I'd try that. I'll have to look for it. Thanks, Om.

    kili

    Hope you like it. :-)
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

    "Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

  13. "Sqwertz" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Giusi said:

    Sorry, but no. I could see making some galkric juice and/or onion juice
    and
    trying it, but that dried stuff, no way.

    If you don't know that granulated onion and garlic have their
    places in cooking, then you're not a very experienced cook.

    -sw

    Really? How sad for me.

    --
    http://www.judithgreenwood.com

  14. On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 15:19:03 +0200, "Giusi" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "Sqwertz" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Giusi said:

    Sorry, but no. I could see making some galkric juice and/or onion juice
    and
    trying it, but that dried stuff, no way.

    If you don't know that granulated onion and garlic have their
    places in cooking, then you're not a very experienced cook.

    -sw

    Really? How sad for me.

    yeah, it's a tough break, giusi. try to be strong.

    your pal,
    blake

  15. kilikini said:


    I'd prefer oregano, but....what about doing an Italian seasoning?

    kili

    Here's the stuff for cheaper cuts:

    http://gauchoranchfoods.com/

    Dan

  16. Dan said:
    kilikini said:


    I'd prefer oregano, but....what about doing an Italian seasoning?

    kili

    Here's the stuff for cheaper cuts:

    http://gauchoranchfoods.com/

    Dan

    I've heard of chimichurri before, but never investigated it. Thanks for the
    link.

    kili

  17. Sqwertz said:
    Giusi said:

    Sorry, but no. I could see making some galkric juice and/or onion
    juice and trying it, but that dried stuff, no way.

    If you don't know that granulated onion and garlic have their
    places in cooking, then you're not a very experienced cook.

    LOL

  18. kilikini said:
    Quoted message said:

    Here's the stuff for cheaper cuts:

    http://gauchoranchfoods.com/

    Dan

    I've heard of chimichurri before, but never investigated it. Thanks for the
    link.

    kili

    I've had chimichurri sauce on beef once and it was incredibly good! I
    would love to find an authentic recipe for it (or one?)

  19. kilikini said:
    Quoted message said:

    Here's the stuff for cheaper cuts:

    http://gauchoranchfoods.com/

    Dan

    I've heard of chimichurri before, but never investigated it. Thanks for the
    link.

    kili

    I've had chimichurri sauce on beef once and it was incredibly good! I
    would love to find an authentic recipe for it (or one?)

  20. kilikini said:
    Quoted message said:

    Here's the stuff for cheaper cuts:

    http://gauchoranchfoods.com/

    Dan

    I've heard of chimichurri before, but never investigated it. Thanks for the
    link.

    kili

    I've had chimichurri sauce on beef once and it was incredibly good! I
    would love to find an authentic recipe for it (or one?)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.