torelli master rims....

sal bass

Guest
wondering if anyone knows of any shop (in the US) that has Torelli
Master rims in stock, silver, 32 hole.

Torelli does not have any and can not get anymore. I've called every
shop on thier dealer page and no one has them in stock. also, Ambrosio
discontinued making the Nexus (this was the rim that was exported and
badged with a Torelli label) this year.

there were two models of ERD 606 and 611mm. i'm looking for the 611
model since the 606 was prone to having the tire blow off it.

ok.....so i posted this a while back and got no replies....

i found a very tall stack of these rims sitting in a bike shop, in of
all places, seattle, and promptly purchased them all.

i've never used these but several wheelbuilders who've been in this
since the days of lugs and c-record, say they used to used them for
training/racing and cyclocross. searching on line seems to draw
favorable comments from years past about the rim....which has me
hopeful of the service life of the rim.

now my question is....are they aren't loyal users of the Torelli Master
rim?

sal bass wrote:
> ok.....so i posted this a while back and got no replies....
>
> i found a very tall stack of these rims sitting in a bike shop, in of
> all places, seattle, and promptly purchased them all.

Who'd you get them from? Aaron Goss?

He built me a set of wheels with those rims last year. Nice wheels.

"sal bass" <[email protected]> writes:

>ok.....so i posted this a while back and got no replies....

>i found a very tall stack of these rims sitting in a bike shop, in of
>all places, seattle, and promptly purchased them all.

Made by Ambrosio (supposedly), these were discontinued by Rivendell
(and perhaps others) because some brands of tires are hard to mount on
these rims. I think they were listed as weighing 440 grams.

On the other hand, they were the last pair of polished traditional
(pinned) rims in production ... supposedly. With a pair of MA2 rims
going for $100+ on ebay these days, you might try offering one pair on
the 'bay to see what it will fetch. (be sure to mention MA2 and jobst
just to hype it to the max ...)

Today if you want polished rims, you could buy Mavic Open Pro rims and
strip away the anodization, which is fairly easy to do ... The Open
Sport rims are imho a backwards step from the MA3 rims ...

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

sal bass wrote:
> ok.....so i posted this a while back and got no replies....
>
> i found a very tall stack of these rims sitting in a bike shop, in of
> all places, seattle, and promptly purchased them all.
>
> i've never used these but several wheelbuilders who've been in this
> since the days of lugs and c-record, say they used to used them for
> training/racing and cyclocross. searching on line seems to draw
> favorable comments from years past about the rim....which has me
> hopeful of the service life of the rim.
>
> now my question is....are they aren't loyal users of the Torelli Master
> rim?

Built more than a few, nice rim, no problems...not many left, why not a
lot being built.

> > wondering if anyone knows of any shop (in the US) that has Torelli
> > Master rims in stock, silver, 32 hole.
> >
> > Torelli does not have any and can not get anymore. I've called every
> > shop on thier dealer page and no one has them in stock. also, Ambrosio
> > discontinued making the Nexus (this was the rim that was exported and
> > badged with a Torelli label) this year.
> >
> > there were two models of ERD 606 and 611mm. i'm looking for the 611
> > model since the 606 was prone to having the tire blow off it.

i'll have to look up the name of the shop on my credi card statement as
i was calling every shop on the torelli dealer list from the old site
and forgot who i spoke to.....but i can say for sure it wasn't that
shop you mention, as he wanted $50 for them....each. i just laughed
and hung up.

the stack i bought was MUCH less expensive per rim than $50 and the
owner was more than happy to just get rid of them.

Hank Wirtz wrote:
> sal bass wrote:
> > ok.....so i posted this a while back and got no replies....
> >
> > i found a very tall stack of these rims sitting in a bike shop, in of
> > all places, seattle, and promptly purchased them all.
> >

> Who'd you get them from? Aaron Goss?
>
> He built me a set of wheels with those rims last year. Nice wheels.

i confirmed that they were indeed made by ambrosio as i called and
spoke to someone over in italy. made and rebadged for torelli, miele
and several other franch and italian brands at the time.

as originally poseted...the issue with mounting tires was due to a
change from a 606 to a 611 ERD. i confirmed that was well.

from the stack of 10 i have...plus the other 2 pairs....they all seem
to weigh between 401g and 417g. they are all the 611 ERD with sockets,
non machined brake track, pinned, and shiny.

i might put them on ebay but but i'm sure they'd got for about $12 and
i'd think that's a waste.

the only problem with removing the finish from a set of open pros is
that they'd begin to tarnish shortly after and i'm not looking for more
work than i already have in maintaining a bike.

besides...when i compare the look of the master to the open pro.....the
open pro just looks too......goofy. the box section of the master is
much more pleasing, at least to my eye. and i can understand the
reason some prefer a box section over the look of the open pro.

Donald Gillies wrote:
> "sal bass" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >ok.....so i posted this a while back and got no replies....

> >i found a very tall stack of these rims sitting in a bike shop, in of
> >all places, seattle, and promptly purchased them all.

> Made by Ambrosio (supposedly), these were discontinued by Rivendell
> (and perhaps others) because some brands of tires are hard to mount on
> these rims. I think they were listed as weighing 440 grams.
>
> On the other hand, they were the last pair of polished traditional
> (pinned) rims in production ... supposedly. With a pair of MA2 rims
> going for $100+ on ebay these days, you might try offering one pair on
> the 'bay to see what it will fetch. (be sure to mention MA2 and jobst
> just to hype it to the max ...)
>
> Today if you want polished rims, you could buy Mavic Open Pro rims and
> strip away the anodization, which is fairly easy to do ... The Open
> Sport rims are imho a backwards step from the MA3 rims ...
>
> - Don Gillies
> San Diego, CA

thanks....did you ever have anyone return them with any sort of damage
that would have placed the blame on the manufacturer?

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> sal bass wrote:
> > ok.....so i posted this a while back and got no replies....
> >
> > i found a very tall stack of these rims sitting in a bike shop, in of
> > all places, seattle, and promptly purchased them all.
> >
> > i've never used these but several wheelbuilders who've been in this
> > since the days of lugs and c-record, say they used to used them for
> > training/racing and cyclocross. searching on line seems to draw
> > favorable comments from years past about the rim....which has me
> > hopeful of the service life of the rim.
> >
> > now my question is....are they aren't loyal users of the Torelli Master
> > rim?

> Built more than a few, nice rim, no problems...not many left, why not a
> lot being built.
>

> > > wondering if anyone knows of any shop (in the US) that has Torelli
> > > Master rims in stock, silver, 32 hole.
> > >
> > > Torelli does not have any and can not get anymore. I've called every
> > > shop on thier dealer page and no one has them in stock. also, Ambrosio
> > > discontinued making the Nexus (this was the rim that was exported and
> > > badged with a Torelli label) this year.
> > >
> > > there were two models of ERD 606 and 611mm. i'm looking for the 611
> > > model since the 606 was prone to having the tire blow off it.

In article <[email protected]>,
"sal bass" <[email protected]> wrote:

> ok.....so i posted this a while back and got no replies....
>
> i found a very tall stack of these rims sitting in a bike shop, in of
> all places, seattle, and promptly purchased them all.
>
> i've never used these but several wheelbuilders who've been in this
> since the days of lugs and c-record, say they used to used them for
> training/racing and cyclocross. searching on line seems to draw
> favorable comments from years past about the rim....which has me
> hopeful of the service life of the rim.
>
> now my question is....are they aren't loyal users of the Torelli
> Master rim?

The Master rim had a reputation for being inconsistent. Some were a
hair oversized and were very difficult to mount tires on. However, they
were design-wise the closest thing to an MA2 on the market. But it
doesn't have the "features" that most customers are trained to want:
aero shape, flashy color, unpronounceable name, lots of lurid stickers,
tech sounding acronyms all over the place, etc.

I never got around to buying any Masters, since I had a back stock of
MA2s. But I only have four of those left, thanks to Minnesota's
incompetent road maintenance, and now I am wishing I had picked up a few
Masters to augment them!

> i might put them on ebay but but i'm sure they'd got for about $12 and
> i'd think that's a waste.

Heck, I'd give you $17.50! :)

[email protected] (Donald Gillies) wrote in news:ei1mno$e3q$1
@cascade.cs.ubc.ca:

> On the other hand, they were the last pair of polished traditional
> (pinned) rims in production ... supposedly. With a pair of MA2 rims
> going for $100+ on ebay these days, you might try offering one pair on
> the 'bay to see what it will fetch. (be sure to mention MA2 and jobst
> just to hype it to the max ...)

Polished? Not the ones I have. They have a dull sort of gray finish. MA2s
are polished and look a lot nicer. I'm sure they will last, but they are
basically a cheap rim and would look out of place on an expensive bike.

--
Mike DeMicco <[email protected]>

sal bass wrote:

> i found a very tall stack of these rims sitting in a bike shop, in of
> all places, seattle, and promptly purchased them all.
>
> i've never used these but several wheelbuilders who've been in this
> since the days of lugs and c-record, say they used to used them for
> training/racing and cyclocross. searching on line seems to draw
> favorable comments from years past about the rim....which has me
> hopeful of the service life of the rim.
>
> now my question is....are they aren't loyal users of the Torelli Master
> rim?

I bought a pair of Masters from Rivendell. They are nice rims, but the
tire mounting issue is a real problem. Tires that go onto other rims
with no effort at all are a real struggle with these. I'd hate to get
flat on a cold winter day.

Art Harris

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "sal bass" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > ok.....so i posted this a while back and got no replies....
> >
> > i found a very tall stack of these rims sitting in a bike shop, in of
> > all places, seattle, and promptly purchased them all.
> >
> > i've never used these but several wheelbuilders who've been in this
> > since the days of lugs and c-record, say they used to used them for
> > training/racing and cyclocross. searching on line seems to draw
> > favorable comments from years past about the rim....which has me
> > hopeful of the service life of the rim.
> >
> > now my question is....are they aren't loyal users of the Torelli
> > Master rim?

> The Master rim had a reputation for being inconsistent. Some were a
> hair oversized and were very difficult to mount tires on. However, they
> were design-wise the closest thing to an MA2 on the market. But it
> doesn't have the "features" that most customers are trained to want:
> aero shape, flashy color, unpronounceable name, lots of lurid stickers,
> tech sounding acronyms all over the place, etc.

That last sentence very aptly sums up many aspects of the current
bicycle marketplace.

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> Tim McNamara wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "sal bass" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > ok.....so i posted this a while back and got no replies....
> > >
> > > i found a very tall stack of these rims sitting in a bike shop, in of
> > > all places, seattle, and promptly purchased them all.
> > >
> > > i've never used these but several wheelbuilders who've been in this
> > > since the days of lugs and c-record, say they used to used them for
> > > training/racing and cyclocross. searching on line seems to draw
> > > favorable comments from years past about the rim....which has me
> > > hopeful of the service life of the rim.
> > >
> > > now my question is....are they aren't loyal users of the Torelli
> > > Master rim?

> > The Master rim had a reputation for being inconsistent. Some were a
> > hair oversized and were very difficult to mount tires on. However, they
> > were design-wise the closest thing to an MA2 on the market. But it
> > doesn't have the "features" that most customers are trained to want:
> > aero shape, flashy color, unpronounceable name, lots of lurid stickers,
> > tech sounding acronyms all over the place, etc.
> >

> That last sentence very aptly sums up many aspects of the current
> bicycle marketplace.

You can say that twice..goofy indutry right now. Interbike was a
'spectacle', not in a good way.

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> Tim McNamara wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "sal bass" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > ok.....so i posted this a while back and got no replies....
> > >
> > > i found a very tall stack of these rims sitting in a bike shop, in of
> > > all places, seattle, and promptly purchased them all.
> > >
> > > i've never used these but several wheelbuilders who've been in this
> > > since the days of lugs and c-record, say they used to used them for
> > > training/racing and cyclocross. searching on line seems to draw
> > > favorable comments from years past about the rim....which has me
> > > hopeful of the service life of the rim.
> > >
> > > now my question is....are they aren't loyal users of the Torelli
> > > Master rim?

> > The Master rim had a reputation for being inconsistent. Some were a
> > hair oversized and were very difficult to mount tires on. However, they
> > were design-wise the closest thing to an MA2 on the market. But it
> > doesn't have the "features" that most customers are trained to want:
> > aero shape, flashy color, unpronounceable name, lots of lurid stickers,
> > tech sounding acronyms all over the place, etc.
> >

> That last sentence very aptly sums up many aspects of the current
> bicycle marketplace.

You can say that twice..goofy industry right now. Interbike was a
'spectacle', not in a good way.

> > I never got around to buying any Masters, since I had a back stock of
> > MA2s. But I only have four of those left, thanks to Minnesota's
> > incompetent road maintenance, and now I am wishing I had picked up a few
> > Masters to augment them!
> >
> > > i might put them on ebay but but i'm sure they'd got for about $12 and
> > > i'd think that's a waste.

> > Heck, I'd give you $17.50! :)

i've got a set of Vittoria Randonneur Pros that have a kevlar bead.
they are slightly tight but nothing i can't mount with my bare hands.

also....live in texas so...winter down here is about 2 weeks in
decemeber or january when the temps dip down to the lmid 50s and people
are told "don't go to work if you don't need to" when a small patch of
ice is found on a bridge during the monring rush hour.

Art Harris wrote:
> sal bass wrote:
>
> > i found a very tall stack of these rims sitting in a bike shop, in of
> > all places, seattle, and promptly purchased them all.
> >
> > i've never used these but several wheelbuilders who've been in this
> > since the days of lugs and c-record, say they used to used them for
> > training/racing and cyclocross. searching on line seems to draw
> > favorable comments from years past about the rim....which has me
> > hopeful of the service life of the rim.
> >
> > now my question is....are they aren't loyal users of the Torelli Master
> > rim?

> I bought a pair of Masters from Rivendell. They are nice rims, but the
> tire mounting issue is a real problem. Tires that go onto other rims
> with no effort at all are a real struggle with these. I'd hate to get
> flat on a cold winter day.
>
> Art Harris

In article <[email protected]>,
"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> > Tim McNamara wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <[email protected]>,

> > > The Master rim had a reputation for being inconsistent. Some
> > > were a hair oversized and were very difficult to mount tires on.
> > > However, they were design-wise the closest thing to an MA2 on the
> > > market. But it doesn't have the "features" that most customers
> > > are trained to want: aero shape, flashy color, unpronounceable
> > > name, lots of lurid stickers, tech sounding acronyms all over the
> > > place, etc.
> > >

> > That last sentence very aptly sums up many aspects of the current
> > bicycle marketplace.

> You can say that twice..goofy indutry right now. Interbike was a
> 'spectacle', not in a good way.

I wasn't there, but from the photos it seemed like it had its redeeming
features :-D

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/babes/babes06/ibike06-gd1.jpg

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Ozark Bicycle wrote:

>>> That last sentence very aptly sums up many aspects of the current
>>> bicycle marketplace.

>> You can say that twice..goofy indutry right now. Interbike was a
>> 'spectacle', not in a good way.

> I wasn't there, but from the photos it seemed like it had its
> redeeming features :-D
>
> http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/babes/babes06/ibike06-gd1.jpg

Nice pumps!

Totally Straight Bill

Peter Chisholm writes:

>>> The Master rim had a reputation for being inconsistent. Some were
>>> a hair oversized and were very difficult to mount tires on.
>>> However, they were design-wise the closest thing to an MA2 on the
>>> market. But it doesn't have the "features" that most customers
>>> are trained to want: aero shape, flashy color, unpronounceable
>>> name, lots of lurid stickers, tech sounding acronyms all over the
>>> place, etc.

>> That last sentence very aptly sums up many aspects of the current
>> bicycle market.

> You can say that twice..goofy industry right now. InterBike was a
> 'spectacle', not in a good way.

That was my assessment of the show as well. They aren't selling to me
anyway. There is a different set of customers than what seems to be
reasonable. It goes with the ostentatious huge black cars people
drive and large houses with many gables they prefer.

I think it either comes from current politics or creates them. In any
event, it ain't pretty.

Jobst Brandt

On 30 Oct 2006 18:30:20 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>>> That last sentence very aptly sums up many aspects of the current
>>> bicycle market.

>> You can say that twice..goofy industry right now. InterBike was a
>> 'spectacle', not in a good way.

>That was my assessment of the show as well. They aren't selling to me
>anyway. There is a different set of customers than what seems to be
>reasonable. It goes with the ostentatious huge black cars people
>drive and large houses with many gables they prefer.
>
>I think it either comes from current politics or creates them. In any
>event, it ain't pretty.
>
>Jobst Brandt

Dear Jobst,

No offense, but apart from brake pads, a few ball bearings, perhaps
some gears, and up to nine drive-side replacement spokes, what bicycle
parts or bicycles have you bought in the last ten years?

(Your rims, chains, and tires have all been replaced from famous
stashes.)

Witch hunts for black cars can be tolerated, but you go too far when
you start attacking houses with many gables.

Cheers,

N. Hawthorne