Torn between two Treks

DaveInPA

Mar 12, 2010
I'm a new cyclist, for all intents and purposes. I raced BMX as a kid, but that ended 10 years ago. I'm 5'10" and 230lbs, looking to cycle to lose weight, but I know I'll get the bug and take it up as a serious hobby for fun in addition to doing it for the workout.

I'm torn between two Trek models at my LBS. I will post links and my perceived pros and cons of each.

1. Trek 7.3 FX
Trek Bikes | Bikes | Road | 7.3 FX

Pros:
Decent components
Easy to manuever around obstacles?
Slightly wider tires more puncture resistant?
Comfortable riding position

Cons:
Not as fast as a true road bike
Limited hand positions on straight bar, even with bar add-on bar ends
Wider tires = more rolling resistance

2. Trek 1.1
Trek Bikes | Bikes | Road | 1.1

Pros:
Faster than the "hybrid" 7.3
Drop bars offer more hand positions
Better suited to longer rides as my fitness improves

Cons:
More "bent over" riding position (can be made more upright to start?)
Thinner tires more puncture prone?
Are the thin wheels ok at my current body weight?
Is a road bike like this harder to manuever quickly around obstacles?

What do you guys think?!

Choosing between bikes is not a theoretical discussion. You test ride them then choose for yourself.

Get 'em both. Both will serve different purposes...

If you're married or have a significant other "it's easier asking for forgiveness than asking for permission":D...

Where do you think you'll be with your cycling a year from now?

Do you think you'll be more into some type of combined off road and road cycling, or do you think it will be all road cycling?

Get the bike that will best serve your interests going forward. Both off road and road bikes are easy to manuever, both will handle your current weight, and both can be equiped with tires that are very puncture resistant.

Get the bike that you REALLY want and don't worry about your current weight or riding skills, because you are going to improve every week that you continue to ride.

The choice between those two trek models is really going to boil down to personal preference - the advice to test ride both is totally correct.

When test-riding the 1.1 road bike, make sure you try all of the possible hand positions. (on the drops, on the bar tops, and on the brake hoods). Probably you would spend most of your time on the brake hoods, or just behind the hoods, but you'll want to be comfortable with all positions.

As for the road bike's "skinny" wheels and tires and your weight - I don't think this is an issue. Those wheels look to have plenty of spokes (36? Or maybe 32?), so they should handle your weight just fine. Even if the bike comes with 23mm tires, they'll be fine if pumped up sufficiently (say 110-120 psi, depending on the tire provided). And the rims will support 25mm tires if you want to run at a bit lower tire pressure.

You may still prefer the hybrid with flat bar, but I don't think your weight should really direct the decision. (I'm about the same weight, as an aside. I'm running 23mm tires on 20-spoke wheels.)

Or do what I am doing. I am buying a Jamis hybrid tomorrow, comes with 28c tires, adding aero bars to it for the extra hand positioning. I was an avid road bike rider back in the late 80's as a teenager and into the early 90's. I ran in small races and in charity events. I too was confused until I tried a Trek 7.2 and knew I wanted a hybrid until I get back into cycling, then I will get a road bike in the near future. I am 5'9" and 210lbs. I am mostly doing this for health and to get fit again, but also for my love of cycling. Buy what best fits you, or maybe do like I am, plus it has an added bonus... It gives you the excuse to buy BOTH types....:D

Well I got the 1.1 yesterday. The LBS staff took a lot of time to take all of my measurements and get me on the right size bike. I had it equipped with an adjustable stem so my riding position is just a tad more upright to get started and I have the option to get a more aero position as I improve.

I put 10 miles on it when I got it home and so far, I'm in love. Now I just need some clipless pedals and shoes. :D

Very good choice. I was looking at the 1.1 too at Trek across the street where I am. nice bikes.... Happy riding. Are you doing like I am right now and just sitting there staring at the bike admiring the heck out of it??? LOL!!!!

DaveInPA said:
I'm a new cyclist, for all intents and purposes. I raced BMX as a kid, but that ended 10 years ago. I'm 5'10" and 230lbs, looking to cycle to lose weight, but I know I'll get the bug and take it up as a serious hobby for fun in addition to doing it for the workout.

I'm torn between two Trek models at my LBS. I will post links and my perceived pros and cons of each.

1. Trek 7.3 FX
Trek Bikes | Bikes | Road | 7.3 FX

Pros:
Decent components
Easy to manuever around obstacles?
Slightly wider tires more puncture resistant?
Comfortable riding position

Cons:
Not as fast as a true road bike
Limited hand positions on straight bar, even with bar add-on bar ends
Wider tires = more rolling resistance

2. Trek 1.1
Trek Bikes | Bikes | Road | 1.1

Pros:
Faster than the "hybrid" 7.3
Drop bars offer more hand positions
Better suited to longer rides as my fitness improves

Cons:
More "bent over" riding position (can be made more upright to start?)
Thinner tires more puncture prone?
Are the thin wheels ok at my current body weight?
Is a road bike like this harder to manuever quickly around obstacles?

What do you guys think?!

Here's my $0.02. When I started I was in the same position as you were in. About 5'10" and same weight. I went and got the Trek 7.3FX. I rode it around for three months and gained stamina and strength on it. But by then I was just too hooked on to the idea of road biking. I went and got a Madone after that. But I still have my 7.3 FX and it's a comfortable ride that I use for my daily commute to work. So yes I am one of those that have two bikes! But it's totally worth it! I have no regrets purchasing the FX. Here's why. I was not in a physical condition to start on the dropped handlebars of the road bike. You are just starting now and you will upgrade if you get hooked. I would suggest the 7.3FX which you can later use for "fun rides". It's totally worth the money.

kausbose said:
Here's my $0.02. When I started I was in the same position as you were in. About 5'10" and same weight. I went and got the Trek 7.3FX. I rode it around for three months and gained stamina and strength on it. But by then I was just too hooked on to the idea of road biking. I went and got a Madone after that. But I still have my 7.3 FX and it's a comfortable ride that I use for my daily commute to work. So yes I am one of those that have two bikes! But it's totally worth it! I have no regrets purchasing the FX. Here's why. I was not in a physical condition to start on the dropped handlebars of the road bike. You are just starting now and you will upgrade if you get hooked. I would suggest the 7.3FX which you can later use for "fun rides". It's totally worth the money.

He already bought a 1.1 road bike.

ChrisA70 said:
He already bought a 1.1 road bike.

Yeah I saw that he got it.

Good choice DaveinPA. I hope you are enjoying your new ride.

Thanks for pointing out ChrisA70

kausbose said:
Yeah I saw that he got it.

Good choice DaveinPA. I hope you are enjoying your new ride.

Thanks for pointing out ChrisA70

No problem, I wasn't trying to be obnoxious:eek:. I think he made a great choice too.