Torn Meniscus, anyone?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Marlene Blansha, Jan 30, 2003.

  1. A friend of mine, not me fortunately, recently injured his knee- partially torn lateral meniscus.
    Not torn all the way through, just a small tear. He is going for physio and if it doesn't respond,
    it may require surgery, arthroscopic. He injured it while running and he slipped on the ice so
    running is out, but the doctor said cycling is okay, so he tried the trainer and said it felt fine!

    He's hoping to be able to ride again this spring (that means probably april), if he doesn't
    have surgery.

    ANyone ever have this injury and how long did it take to get back to riding? He also hopes to race
    (cyclocross) later this year. He's just all depressed about being a gimp and is worried about riding
    and racing again.

    Tags:

  2. Joel Roth

    Joel Roth Guest

    Biking is generally easy on the knees. Your friend should stick with 'easy' gears and be careful not
    to over-do it.

    I tore my meniscus several years ago. I didn't go for the surgery, and the knee feels fine. Every
    knee is different.

    Good luck.

    Joel

    Marlene Blanshay wrote:

    >A friend of mine, not me fortunately, recently injured his knee- partially torn lateral meniscus.
    >Not torn all the way through, just a small tear. He is going for physio and if it doesn't respond,
    >it may require surgery, arthroscopic. He injured it while running and he slipped on the ice so
    >running is out, but the doctor said cycling is okay, so he tried the trainer and said it felt fine!
    >
    >He's hoping to be able to ride again this spring (that means probably april), if he doesn't
    >have surgery.
    >
    >ANyone ever have this injury and how long did it take to get back to riding? He also hopes to race
    >(cyclocross) later this year. He's just all depressed about being a gimp and is worried about
    >riding and racing again.

  3. Frank Miles

    Frank Miles Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A friend of mine, not me fortunately, recently injured his knee- partially torn lateral meniscus.
    >Not torn all the way through, just a small tear. He is going for physio and if it doesn't respond,
    >it may require surgery, arthroscopic. He injured it while running and he slipped on the ice so
    >running is out, but the doctor said cycling is okay, so he tried the trainer and said it felt fine!
    >
    >He's hoping to be able to ride again this spring (that means probably april), if he doesn't
    >have surgery.
    >
    >ANyone ever have this injury and how long did it take to get back to riding? He also hopes to race
    >(cyclocross) later this year. He's just all depressed about being a gimp and is worried about
    >riding and racing again.

    So long as the tear folds back in line, you may be OK. I got along for some years after tearing
    mine. With mine, about once a year I would move the wrong way and the tear would fold over, pushing
    the joint apart. This was _very_ painful -- like writhing on the floor until I managed to get it
    pushed back.

    Then the day came that I couldn't get it back. To make a long managed-care- nightmare story short,
    arthroscopic surgery cut the torn part out. My knee is now pretty much ok, except that I've been
    cautioned not to engage in impact-producing activities (running, jumping, ...); biking, backpacking
    are ok. YMMV, of course...

    Knees are much more subject to damage than we think in our youth :( Artificial knees are a lousy
    substitute, too. You really want qualified medical attention to this kind of problem.

    -frank

    --

  4. In article <[email protected]>, joel roth
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Biking is generally easy on the knees. Your friend should stick with 'easy' gears and be careful
    > not to over-do it.
    >
    > I tore my meniscus several years ago. I didn't go for the surgery, and the knee feels fine. Every
    > knee is different.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > Joel

    True. He isn't in that bad shape, but he wants to get back to normal. He's diabetic and it's
    essential for him to keep active, so that's why he's so concerned. SO far, he's managed to stay off
    meds because he cycles, runs, etc, and he doesn't want to get off his program.

    Thanks, everyone who responded so far.

  5. Woody Turgid

    Woody Turgid Guest

    I've torn both menisci, and have had arthroscopic surgery on each knee. I was back on the bike
    within three days of surgery (although I had to ride out of the saddle until the knee would flex
    enough.) I was back at speed within two weeks.

    Interestingly enough, the knee with no remaining cartilage is fine; the one that only had a small
    amount removed still causes problems occasionally. Don't avoid the surgery!

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > A friend of mine, not me fortunately, recently injured his knee- partially torn lateral meniscus.
    > Not torn all the way through, just a small tear. He is going for physio and if it doesn't
    > respond, it may require surgery, arthroscopic. He injured it while running and he slipped on the
    > ice so running is out, but the doctor said cycling is okay, so he tried the trainer and said it
    > felt fine!
    >
    > He's hoping to be able to ride again this spring (that means probably april), if he doesn't have
    > surgery.
    >
    > ANyone ever have this injury and how long did it take to get back to riding? He also hopes to race
    > (cyclocross) later this year. He's just all depressed about being a gimp and is worried about
    > riding and racing again.

  6. Cycleops

    Cycleops Guest

    This sutgery is a peice of cake. Two small incisions closed with steri-strips, a few pain killers,
    regualr icing and then after a few days hop on the stationery for an easy spin. Most importantly do
    the physio, give up the running and focus on the low impact activities. I am speaking from
    experience, 25 years and seven surgeries later I am waiting on a knee replacement because I didn't
    do as I was told by the Orthopods Jeff

  7. In article <[email protected]>, Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> wrote:

    >True. He isn't in that bad shape, but he wants to get back to normal. He's diabetic and it's
    >essential for him to keep active, so that's why he's so concerned. SO far, he's managed to stay off
    >meds because he cycles, runs, etc, and he doesn't want to get off his program.

    "etc" could include swimming even if the knee hurts.

    --Paul

  8. On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:07:39 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote:

    > ANyone ever have this injury and how long did it take to get back to riding?

    these days, they start you exercising the joint immediately after surgery. the hospital physical
    therapist was there about 5 mins after i came out of anesthesia, having me do knee bends to keep it
    from getting stiff. i was told to do 20 per hour, whether they were all at once, one at a time, or
    in groups.

    my insurance paid for post-surgical physical therapy. fortunately, my PT was a cyclist. i told him
    my training goal (surgery just before new year's day, ride a metric century in mid-may) and we
    developed a therapy/training program. he helped me get my cadence up so i could gear down and spin
    up (my cadence is now around 95 rpm).

    i was riding a stationary bike at the health club next door to the PT office within a week, and was
    on my bike in 3 weeks. i rode the 3 miles to the ortho surgeon's office for the 6 week post surgical
    xrays and followup. i rode the metric century 5
    1/2 months after the surgery without any pain or strain, but the training program included several
    20 mile rides in the 3 weeks prior to the metric century. i'm sure that if i was a hammerhead, i
    could have done it sooner.

  9. > ANyone ever have this injury and how long did it take to get back to riding?

    I've had this surgery. A piece of cake. Was on my stationary bike the day after. Two days after I
    was out on my MTB doing a two hour spin. Never felt any pain whatsoever.

    Hjalmar

  10. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Dennis P.
    Harris) wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:07:39 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, [email protected] (Marlene
    > Blanshay) wrote:
    >
    > > ANyone ever have this injury and how long did it take to get back to riding?
    >
    > these days, they start you exercising the joint immediately after surgery. the hospital physical
    > therapist was there about 5 mins after i came out of anesthesia, having me do knee bends to keep
    > it from getting stiff. i was told to do 20 per hour, whether they were all at once, one at a time,
    > or in groups.
    >
    > my insurance paid for post-surgical physical therapy. fortunately, my PT was a cyclist. i told him
    > my training goal (surgery just before new year's day, ride a metric century in mid-may) and we
    > developed a therapy/training program. he helped me get my cadence up so i could gear down and spin
    > up (my cadence is now around 95 rpm).
    >
    > i was riding a stationary bike at the health club next door to the PT office within a week, and
    > was on my bike in 3 weeks. i rode the 3 miles to the ortho surgeon's office for the 6 week post
    > surgical xrays and followup. i rode the metric century 5
    > 1/2 months after the surgery without any pain or strain, but the training program included several
    > 20 mile rides in the 3 weeks prior to the metric century. i'm sure that if i was a hammerhead, i
    > could have done it sooner.

    WTG- that's encouraging! My friend saw this news and is relieved. Fortunately,he's also going to a
    clinic where they specialize in sports medicine. The last thing he wants to hear is "don't do any
    exercise." I was having back trouble and the osteopath I went to said, "stay off your bike."
    Sheeah right!

  11. In article <r6o_9.31413$A%[email protected]>, [email protected] (Paul
    Southworth) wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >True. He isn't in that bad shape, but he wants to get back to normal. He's diabetic and it's
    > >essential for him to keep active, so that's why he's so concerned. SO far, he's managed to stay
    > >off meds because he cycles, runs, etc, and he doesn't want to get off his program.
    >
    > "etc" could include swimming even if the knee hurts.
    >
    > --Paul

    good suggestion, but he doesn't swim! I would, though, if it were me.

  12. On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:24:07 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote:

    > > i was riding a stationary bike at the health club next door to the PT office within a week, and
    > > was on my bike in 3 weeks. i rode the 3 miles to the ortho surgeon's office for the 6 week post
    > > surgical xrays and followup. i rode the metric century 5
    > > 1/2 months after the surgery without any pain or strain, but the training program included
    > > several 20 mile rides in the 3 weeks prior to the metric century. i'm sure that if i was a
    > > hammerhead, i could have done it sooner.
    >
    > WTG- that's encouraging! My friend saw this news and is relieved. Fortunately,he's also going to a
    > clinic where they specialize in sports medicine.

    i forgot to add that 7 months after the surgery i rode haines, ak to whitehorse, yt to skagway, ak,
    535 miles, total hillclimbs approx. 9,500 ft. i took my time, camping and fishing along the way, but
    before the surgery i couldn't ride 10 miles without major pain for 2 or 3 days after.

  13. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Dennis P.
    Harris) wrote:

    > On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:24:07 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, [email protected] (Marlene
    > Blanshay) wrote:
    >
    > > > i was riding a stationary bike at the health club next door to the PT office within a week,
    > > > and was on my bike in 3 weeks. i rode the 3 miles to the ortho surgeon's office for the 6 week
    > > > post surgical xrays and followup. i rode the metric century 5
    > > > 1/2 months after the surgery without any pain or strain, but the training program included
    > > > several 20 mile rides in the 3 weeks prior to the metric century. i'm sure that if i was a
    > > > hammerhead, i could have done it sooner.
    > >
    > > WTG- that's encouraging! My friend saw this news and is relieved. Fortunately,he's also going to
    > > a clinic where they specialize in sports medicine.
    >
    > i forgot to add that 7 months after the surgery i rode haines, ak to whitehorse, yt to skagway,
    > ak, 535 miles, total hillclimbs approx. 9,500 ft. i took my time, camping and fishing along the
    > way, but before the surgery i couldn't ride 10 miles without major pain for 2 or 3 days after.

    SOunds like some ride. I don't think that's in his plans, LOL. However, he does want to race
    cyclocross this fall and that's probably his main goal.

  14. Zonmail

    Zonmail Guest

    << A friend of mine, not me fortunately, recently injured his knee- partially torn lateral meniscus.
    >><BR><BR>

    I had bilateral knee surgery in July..they found more damage than expected when they went in, not
    just a torn miniscus in each knee, but cartilage was trimmed in each knee and the right knee has
    bone on bone. I am still not able to ride but I do spin each night for physical therapy(weight
    bearing is too much for
    me). I hope your friend has a better experience than I did..supposedly my doc was the best and we
    tried HA injections as well when I was not doing well after surgery..I keep wondering if
    something was missed..I am off to another next month to see what options await me.

    Joel Stern

  15. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Zonmail) wrote:

    > << A friend of mine, not me fortunately, recently injured his knee- partially torn lateral
    > meniscus. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > I had bilateral knee surgery in July..they found more damage than
    expected when
    > they went in, not just a torn miniscus in each knee, but cartilage was trimmed in each knee and
    > the right knee has bone on bone. I am still not able to ride but I do spin each night for physical
    > therapy(weight bearing is too much for
    > me). I hope your friend has a better experience than I did..supposedly my doc was the best and we
    > tried HA injections as well when I was not doing
    well after
    > surgery..I keep wondering if something was missed..I am off to another next month to see what
    > options await me.
    >
    > Joel Stern

    Actually, he's doing pretty well. The tear is very small and he doesn't need surgery, although they
    said he may one day. They gave him exercises to do and he's back on the trainer and hoping to start
    running soon. They gave him the go ahead to run as long as it doesn't hurt and said he should be
    able to run a half-marathon in april!

  16. Smokey

    Smokey Guest

    [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > A friend of mine, not me fortunately, recently injured his knee- partially torn lateral meniscus.
    > Not torn all the way through, just a small tear. He is going for physio and if it doesn't
    > respond, it may require surgery, arthroscopic. He injured it while running and he slipped on the
    > ice so running is out, but the doctor said cycling is okay, so he tried the trainer and said it
    > felt fine!
    >
    > He's hoping to be able to ride again this spring (that means probably april), if he doesn't have
    > surgery.
    >
    > ANyone ever have this injury and how long did it take to get back to riding? He also hopes to race
    > (cyclocross) later this year. He's just all depressed about being a gimp and is worried about
    > riding and racing again.

    i had arthroscopic on my right knee in june of 2000 for a torn miniscus. i put it off as long as
    possible, but the pain finally got too bad for me. the operation was a complete success and i was
    back on my bike in 6 weeks, avoiding hills and big gears for a while. i also did high rep light
    weight leg extensions to help healing by increasing the blood flow through the joint. tell your
    friend to find a good orthopedic surgeon with experience in sports injuries. correct seat height and
    cleat angle (if he rides clipless) are all very important to avoid knee injuries. smokey