torn Meniscus question

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Rip, May 7, 2004.

  1. Rip

    Rip Guest

    I am a 39 year old male fairly active and need some advice.
    I finally had an MRI done last week on my left knee that
    bothered me back in Sept 2003 (hurt it during a Soccer
    tournament. I have been playing soccer 2-3 times a week
    since last June and running twice a week on it (under 10K
    runs usually 6-8KM) and have had little discomfort
    ocassianlly my knees ar sore but nothing major and it
    usually seems to be the right knee that hurts more? Anyhow,
    the results of my MRI are " A slightly irregular but oblique
    horizontal tear is noted in the Posterior horn and body of
    the medial meniscus. There are areas of fraying in the body
    and posterior horn. Mild sprain of the MCL. Tracking Baker's
    Cyst. There is a bunch of other things written down but such
    as normal muscle, patellea well aligned, ACL,PCL, LCL, and
    extensor mechanism normal etc.

    I am not too intersted in getting surgery but from what I
    have read it seems I may be asking for trouble if I do not?
    The surgery from my understanding is simple but is a partial
    removal and not a re stitching. This makes me think even a
    "torn cushion is better then a small cushion" and I should
    wait it out?

    I am sure many of you have had similar problems and I am
    curious to see what you have chosen and what has happened?

    Tags:

  2. Bernie Hall

    Bernie Hall Guest

    I've had an MRI that revealed a torn left meniscus and
    degeneration of the cartilage from 3mm down to 1mm. I have
    surgery May 28th to trim and remove the torn meniscus and
    smooth out the bone. My surgeon doesn't me running at all or
    at least not the way I was (4 Ironmans, 7 marathons, well
    over 50 other triatlhlons, etc.) but he will be making a
    recommendation following the surgery (outpatient,
    arthroscopic, walk in and out, heavy sedation) but he said
    if I continued the long heavy stuff I could be headed next
    for a total knee replacement. Hope this helps,
    --
    Bernie Hall o __o </\_ \ < __/\ /\o__ (0) (0) / \__o
    ^^^^^^ ^ ^
    [email protected]

  3. RIP wrote:

    > ...I have had little discomfort ocassianlly my knees are
    > sore but nothing major and it usually seems to be the
    > right knee that hurts more? Anyhow, the results of my MRI
    > are " A slightly irregular but oblique horizontal tear ...
    > [blah, blah, blah]
    >
    > The surgery from my understanding is simple but is a
    > partial removal and not a re stitching. This makes me
    > think even a "torn cushion is better then a small cushion"
    > and I should wait it out?

    No, it is not necessarily like you think. You imagine "more
    meniscus [cartilage cushioning] is better". But a frayed
    loose moving bit of shredded cartilage impairs smooth
    movement of the surfaces of bones against each other. It's
    like throwing a stone into a finely meshing system of gears.
    Removing the strands of free frayed meniscus may leave you
    less "cushioning" in theory, but in fact it might remove the
    impediment to smooth free comfortable and athletically
    successful motion.

    Mind you, I have no real idea what your MRI shows! Only your
    orthopedic surgeon knows you, your situation, your symptoms,
    and what the pictures say about your injury. Only he/she can
    truly advise you about what might happen should you choose
    surgery or should you choose to be patient and not operate.
    Not operating might be a perfectly fine choice. And in fact,
    the best surgeons are never eager to operate and incur it's
    risks and consequences. But only your experienced
    orthopedist can advise you about what the future likely
    holds if you do or don't operate.

    With all your caution and appropriate reluctance to go
    "under the knife", I suggest you get a second opinion. That
    way you can be more confident that your surgeon is making a
    reasonable interpretation of all the issues and is
    recommending care for you guided by wisdom and experience,
    not just the desire to collect a surgical fee. All surgeons
    expect patients to be apprehensive enough to want
    reassurance from second opinions, so he/she won't be
    offended. I'd march in and ask your surgeon who he/she'd
    recommend for a second opinion. In fact, rather than be
    offended, most surgeons are glad for patients to get second
    opinions. An informed, reassured patient goes into surgery
    more confident, expects the outcomes good or bad more
    comfortably, and is more likely to be happy with the result
    good or bad (as in, less likely to sue).

    Best of luck. -- Josh Steinberg MD, Syracuse

    > I am sure many of you have had similar problems and I am
    > curious to see what you have chosen and what has happened?

  4. Mike L

    Mike L Guest

    For what it's worth - I'm also 39 and I've had a lot of knee
    work done. ACL and 2 scopes.Although my left knee does make
    a lot of noise, I really don't have any discomfort nor do I
    notice any lack of cushioning.As was mentioned, unrepaired
    this injury will grow worse. I believe some small meniscus
    tears will heal in areas where blood supply is good, but
    your ortho would probably have already told you if you were
    in that postion. I have done long runs up to 20 miles and up
    to 40 mpw at times. I have never, ever had any trouble with
    that knee since I started running 2 years ago.

    Best of luck! Mike L