Toronto foodie shopping report

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Feb 22, 2005.

  1. Calling all westend Torontonians!

    I've shopped at Bonchef for just above wholesale priced greens and
    herbs (in winter, when I can't grow them) since I moved back into the
    big city.

    But I hadn't been over for a while. Spurred by a mention of a new
    outlet store in this past weekend's Toronto Star in the Shoestring
    Shopper column, I went over tonight to pick up some salad greens for a
    pack of houseguests that I"m hosting this weekend.

    You gotta go.

    Not only are they carrying their long reputed greens and herbs, but
    they've also got baby veg and heirloom veg (golden carrots, purple
    carrots) edible flowers, freshly peeled garlicand fresh lemon grass,
    The veg and greens are very competitively priced ($3.99 Cdn for a 1/2
    lb bag of mesclun mix), $1/packet for the fresh herbs. They had big
    bunches of basil and rosemary.

    he new part was the two rooms of Canadian gourmet treats that I
    haven't seen anywhere else in the city... not even at the Cheese
    Boutique.

    Salmon chowders from the west coast, duck and goose liverr pates from
    Quebec, Hero jams, regional Canadian jams and preserves, swedish
    cookies, crisp breads and crackers, Some belgian chocolates I haven't
    seen anywhere else, and so on.

    I ended up getting a couple ofgenerous packets of mint at $1 Cdn
    each, a self-grind bottle of herbes de Provence, fresh lemon grass,
    and organic Canadian maple syrup in addition to my salad greens. Yum,
    yum. There are so many neat meat and specialty stores tucked into the
    industrial area south of Bloor St and the GO line, between Kipling and
    Islington.

    Shirley Hicks
    Toronto, Ontario

    Tags:

  2. elaine

    elaine Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Calling all westend Torontonians!
    >
    > I've shopped at Bonchef for just above wholesale priced greens and
    > herbs (in winter, when I can't grow them) since I moved back into the
    > big city.

    Thanks Shirley. Sounds like an interesting outing. And not far from me,
    think I'll go tomorrow and take cash - no debit or credit cards. Sometimes
    I overshop:)

    Elaine

  3. Biff

    Biff Guest

    "elaine" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Calling all westend Torontonians!
    > >
    > > I've shopped at Bonchef for just above wholesale priced greens and
    > > herbs (in winter, when I can't grow them) since I moved back into the
    > > big city.
    > >

    > Thanks Shirley. Sounds like an interesting outing. And not far from me,
    > think I'll go tomorrow and take cash - no debit or credit cards. Sometimes
    > I overshop:)
    >
    > Elaine

    Organic Maple Syrup? Isn't it all organic? Or have they started
    fertilizing and spraying Sugar Maples... I hope its not because of
    that killer beetle.

    Biff
    Cabbage Town

  4. On 23 Feb 2005 10:30:21 -0800, [email protected] (Biff) wrote:

    >"elaine" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > Calling all westend Torontonians!
    >> >
    >> > I've shopped at Bonchef for just above wholesale priced greens and
    >> > herbs (in winter, when I can't grow them) since I moved back into the
    >> > big city.
    >> >

    >> Thanks Shirley. Sounds like an interesting outing. And not far from me,
    >> think I'll go tomorrow and take cash - no debit or credit cards. Sometimes
    >> I overshop:)

    Oh, I did. :)
    >> Elaine

    >Organic Maple Syrup? Isn't it all organic? Or have they started
    >fertilizing and spraying Sugar Maples... I hope its not because of
    >that killer beetle.

    Good point, Biff, and thanks for the Cluebrick.

    I dunno.Autopilot certified organic = high production standard
    reaction kicked in. (organic as sales booster worked) Guess it's time
    to Google.

    Shirley Hicks

  5. Shirley, is that the one near Kipling/Bloor ?

    Thanks,
    Carrie

    sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used
    up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Calling all westend Torontonians!
    >
    > I've shopped at Bonchef for just above wholesale priced greens and
    > herbs (in winter, when I can't grow them) since I moved back into the
    > big city.
    >
    > But I hadn't been over for a while. Spurred by a mention of a new
    > outlet store in this past weekend's Toronto Star in the Shoestring
    > Shopper column, I went over tonight to pick up some salad greens for a
    > pack of houseguests that I"m hosting this weekend.
    >
    > You gotta go.
    >
    > Not only are they carrying their long reputed greens and herbs, but
    > they've also got baby veg and heirloom veg (golden carrots, purple
    > carrots) edible flowers, freshly peeled garlicand fresh lemon grass,
    > The veg and greens are very competitively priced ($3.99 Cdn for a 1/2
    > lb bag of mesclun mix), $1/packet for the fresh herbs. They had big
    > bunches of basil and rosemary.
    >
    > he new part was the two rooms of Canadian gourmet treats that I
    > haven't seen anywhere else in the city... not even at the Cheese
    > Boutique.
    >
    > Salmon chowders from the west coast, duck and goose liverr pates from
    > Quebec, Hero jams, regional Canadian jams and preserves, swedish
    > cookies, crisp breads and crackers, Some belgian chocolates I haven't
    > seen anywhere else, and so on.
    >
    > I ended up getting a couple ofgenerous packets of mint at $1 Cdn
    > each, a self-grind bottle of herbes de Provence, fresh lemon grass,
    > and organic Canadian maple syrup in addition to my salad greens. Yum,
    > yum. There are so many neat meat and specialty stores tucked into the
    > industrial area south of Bloor St and the GO line, between Kipling and
    > Islington.
    >
    > Shirley Hicks
    > Toronto, Ontario

  6. On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:47:16 -0500, "Carrie-Lou Salter"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Shirley, is that the one near Kipling/Bloor ?

    Yeah.

    SE of the Six Points intersection (Kilping?Bloor?Dundas)

    I don't think you can access Olivewood from KIpling southbound.... I
    could be wrong. I generally turn right off of Kipling northbound, or
    come across from Islington. Olivewood runs all the way through from
    Islington to Kipling.

    There are a couple of other European import stores on Jutland, also
    east of Kipling, a little further south, across from Kipling Car Care.
    There is a butcher store that is an outlet for a wholesale/restaurant
    operation, and their meat is pretty darn good.

    Have you been to Hugo's Meats on the Queensway west of Royal York?
    He carrries bison, ostrich, and Alberta elk, in addition to Manitoba
    Mennonite gueese and ducks that are pretty yummy.

    Shirley Hicks
    Toronto, Ontario

  7. >
    > I don't think you can access Olivewood from KIpling southbound.... I
    > could be wrong. I generally turn right off of Kipling northbound, or
    > come across from Islington. Olivewood runs all the way through from
    > Islington to Kipling.
    >
    > There are a couple of other European import stores on Jutland, also
    > east of Kipling, a little further south, across from Kipling Car Care.
    > There is a butcher store that is an outlet for a wholesale/restaurant
    > operation, and their meat is pretty darn good.
    >
    > Have you been to Hugo's Meats on the Queensway west of Royal York?
    > He carrries bison, ostrich, and Alberta elk, in addition to Manitoba
    > Mennonite gueese and ducks that are pretty yummy.
    >
    > Shirley Hicks
    > Toronto, Ontario

    I'll be on Kipling northbound, as I'm coming from Alderwood area.... just
    off the bottom of the 427...

    And now I SOOOOOO know what I'm doing this weekend. I don't have a car right
    now, but I decided to rent one this weekend just for the heck of it, so now
    I can go check out those places.

    Thanks sooo much!!

    Carrie

  8. elaine

    elaine Guest

    "Carrie-Lou Salter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > > I don't think you can access Olivewood from KIpling southbound.... I
    > > could be wrong. I generally turn right off of Kipling northbound, or
    > > come across from Islington. Olivewood runs all the way through from
    > > Islington to Kipling.
    > >
    > > There are a couple of other European import stores on Jutland, also
    > > east of Kipling, a little further south, across from Kipling Car Care.
    > > There is a butcher store that is an outlet for a wholesale/restaurant
    > > operation, and their meat is pretty darn good.
    > >
    > > Have you been to Hugo's Meats on the Queensway west of Royal York?
    > > He carrries bison, ostrich, and Alberta elk, in addition to Manitoba
    > > Mennonite gueese and ducks that are pretty yummy.
    > >
    > > Shirley Hicks
    > > Toronto, Ontario

    > I'll be on Kipling northbound, as I'm coming from Alderwood area.... just
    > off the bottom of the 427...
    >
    > And now I SOOOOOO know what I'm doing this weekend. I don't have a car

    right
    > now, but I decided to rent one this weekend just for the heck of it, so

    now
    > I can go check out those places.
    >
    > Thanks sooo much!!
    >
    > Carrie

    Yes, thanks for the driving directions and the heads up on the other stores.
    I had planned on going yesterday, but apparantly there was an overturned
    transport, so highway was closed. So this will be my w/e outing too.

    E.

  9. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > SE of the Six Points intersection (Kilping?Bloor?Dundas)
    >
    > I don't think you can access Olivewood from KIpling southbound.... I
    > could be wrong. I generally turn right off of Kipling northbound, or
    > come across from Islington. Olivewood runs all the way through from
    > Islington to Kipling.
    >
    > There are a couple of other European import stores on Jutland, also
    > east of Kipling, a little further south, across from Kipling Car Care.
    > There is a butcher store that is an outlet for a wholesale/restaurant
    > operation, and their meat is pretty darn good.
    >
    > Have you been to Hugo's Meats on the Queensway west of Royal York?
    > He carrries bison, ostrich, and Alberta elk, in addition to Manitoba
    > Mennonite gueese and ducks that are pretty yummy.

    While you are out that way, there is a Patisserie on the south side Bloor
    just east of Prince Edward that is pretty good. The last time I was there
    the baguettes were not quite as good as I remembered them, but the baked
    goods are pretty good.

  10. Shirley wrote:
    > Have you been to Hugo's Meats on the Queensway west of Royal York?
    > He carrries bison, ostrich, and Alberta elk, in addition to Manitoba
    > Mennonite gueese and ducks that are pretty yummy.

    Ostrich - hmm. Thanks for the tip. I think I now know what the
    Australian Grand Prix dinner will feature this year.

    - Brian "and Anzac biscuits for dessert" Huntley

  11. On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:32:17 -0500, Dave Smith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> SE of the Six Points intersection (Kilping?Bloor?Dundas)
    >>
    >> I don't think you can access Olivewood from KIpling southbound.... I
    >> could be wrong. I generally turn right off of Kipling northbound, or
    >> come across from Islington. Olivewood runs all the way through from
    >> Islington to Kipling.
    >>
    >> There are a couple of other European import stores on Jutland, also
    >> east of Kipling, a little further south, across from Kipling Car Care.
    >> There is a butcher store that is an outlet for a wholesale/restaurant
    >> operation, and their meat is pretty darn good.
    >>
    >> Have you been to Hugo's Meats on the Queensway west of Royal York?
    >> He carrries bison, ostrich, and Alberta elk, in addition to Manitoba
    >> Mennonite gueese and ducks that are pretty yummy.

    > While you are out that way, there is a Patisserie on the south side Bloor
    >just east of Prince Edward that is pretty good. The last time I was there
    >the baguettes were not quite as good as I remembered them, but the baked
    >goods are pretty good.

    <slaps forehead>

    Yeah. Their baked goods are fantastic.

    Umm, the Valu-marts are baking Ace baguette on premises in the
    mornings now... (or at least mine at Stonegate and Berry is) When the
    store opens and they are nice and warm from the oven.

    There are so many good food places in this city.
    I was just up in north Toronto yesterday to help a visiting friend
    stock up on long missed kosher deli. He filled his freezer bag with
    locally unobtainable goodies (in B'ham, Alabama). Varniskas, barekas
    and knishes (sic?) Then we wandered down the strip mall to the kosher
    bakery next door to get bagels, challah, spelt bread, and a mess of
    dips, hummus, baba ganoosh, and spicy eggplant and some chocolate
    rolled thingy that was absolutely delicious at my sister's place that
    night. I'm looking forward to the rest for breakfast today.

    The breads on display (that we didn't buy) were artistic artisan bread
    wonders. I'm going back when I'm next up there. It's a bit of a trek
    across town - worth getting when I'm in the 'hood.

    I was also just in at Momo's Bistro for dinner the other night.
    (Special occasion, same visiting friend, with other friends) Good
    intense nouvelle cajun flavours, not too large portions, very nice
    preparation of local ingredients, a foodie's delight. Their gelato and
    ice cream were divine bits of intense flavour. Shirley Bob sez go eat
    there. It's worth every penny. The jazz wasn't bad either. :)
    www.momosbistro.com

    Shirley Hicks
    Toronto, Ontario

  12. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Yeah. Their baked goods are fantastic.
    >
    > Umm, the Valu-marts are baking Ace baguette on premises in the
    > mornings now... (or at least mine at Stonegate and Berry is) When the
    > store opens and they are nice and warm from the oven.

    I get my Ace fix at the local Zehr's stores. They do them on premise. They
    fall a little short from baguettes I have had in France, but they are the
    closest I have found around here. I haev a choice of 5 different Zehr's stores
    to do my shopping, but I tend to go to the one where I know I can always get a
    fresh Ace baguette.

    > The breads on display (that we didn't buy) were artistic artisan bread
    > wonders. I'm going back when I'm next up there. It's a bit of a trek
    > across town - worth getting when I'm in the 'hood.

    Is the Harbord Bakery still good? We used to go there quite often when my SIL
    lived nearby, but that was years ago.

  13. elaine

    elaine Guest

    "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > Yeah. Their baked goods are fantastic.
    > >
    > > Umm, the Valu-marts are baking Ace baguette on premises in the
    > > mornings now... (or at least mine at Stonegate and Berry is) When the
    > > store opens and they are nice and warm from the oven.

    > I get my Ace fix at the local Zehr's stores. They do them on premise.

    They
    > fall a little short from baguettes I have had in France, but they are the
    > closest I have found around here. I haev a choice of 5 different Zehr's

    stores
    > to do my shopping, but I tend to go to the one where I know I can always

    get a
    > fresh Ace baguette.
    >

    > > The breads on display (that we didn't buy) were artistic artisan bread
    > > wonders. I'm going back when I'm next up there. It's a bit of a trek
    > > across town - worth getting when I'm in the 'hood.

    > Is the Harbord Bakery still good? We used to go there quite often when my

    SIL
    > lived nearby, but that was years ago.

    I was there last year about this time. And yes, it's still good.....one of
    the best around!!
    Elaine