Toronto to Paris (Ontario): Need local knowledge

stokell

Jan 20, 2005
I'm planning my spring to fall tours now, since the biking in Toronto stinks after a recent snow fall.

I'm doing a European trip as the big tour this year, but I need to do a shakedown tour in the spring.

I've done the Toronto to Hamilton trip many times, and I've even done the Hamilton to Brantford run, but I haven't done the Brantford to paris rail trail.

So, you people with extensive knowledge of the area, tell me what I should know especially areas between Brantford and Paris where I could stealth camp.

I usually do my shakedowns in May.

Eh Stokell.

I've been in Brantford about 25 yrs now and have ridden the Brantford to Paris trail more than a few times. I find it to be a nice peaceful ride.

I'm not sure how much you know about it so I'm sorry if I mention what you already know.

The least appealing part of the rail trail, in my opinion, is when you enter Brantford coming from Hamilton. The garbage dump and sewage treatment plant are close by. Once you pass this, and it doesn't take long, the trail will take you along a dyke that was built long ago crossing a few fields untill you come to the Grand River. You'll turn right and head down a quiet road for a short while till the trail resumes on the left side (your left). This part of the trail is pretty nice and only gets nicer as you move along the river through the woods, passed a dam (nice place to take a break) and then behind a golf course. At this point, you're on the edge of town again and it's a nice peaceful ride. I usually enjoy this part very much in the evening close to sunset. You'll come close to the end where you can either take Hardy Rd (paved with bike lane, but fast moving cars) or you can fork off onto the Trans Canada Trail which takes you to the same area.

This part of the trail continues to run along the Grand River through some woods. You'll reach a bridge for trail users (don't cross it). From this point on, the trail has a couple of steep, paved climbs as you ride behind a gravel pit. Despite the gravel pit, it's still a quiet ride. The trail then winds behind a new industrial area which is in development. The trail was reconfigured last summer, but should be packed down this spring. Once you cross over the highway, the trail is straight, takes you through some fields and into Paris.

You'll reach another quiet road. Turn right and just follow it down the hill, across the steet and rejoin the rail trail on the other side. You may have to ride a few minutes, but as I remember, the trail is indicated. From this point, if you're interested, you can ride all the way to Cambridge. Again, following the Grand River through wooded areas with stops on the way.

As for stealth camping, I can't say I've ever done it, but I'm sure you could without any problems. There's lots of wooded areas where you could walk a bit and pitch a tent. Especially closer to Paris and heading to Cambridge.

I hope this is the kind of description you were looking for. From personal experiences, I've really enjoyed riding this trail. It is never too busy, but you'll run into people once in a while. It's usually a nice quiet ride and, if need be, not too far from town.

If you're interested in mountain biking with some technical stuff, let me know. You can also get on the Bruce Trail at the bridge (for trail users as mentioned above). It runs along the river as well. It would have some good spots for camping, but in some spots, you can also walk down from the rail trail.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes...if it goes.

Gg