Torque Specs for Carbon Fiber Frameset

tanggoman

Sep 22, 2003
Does anyone out there know where I can get a list of torques specs for carbon fiber frames, i.e., tightening torque for seatpost clamp, bottom bracket, bottle cage bolts, etc. Thanks much! :)

tanggoman said:
Does anyone out there know where I can get a list of torques specs for carbon fiber frames, i.e., tightening torque for seatpost clamp, bottom bracket, bottle cage bolts, etc. Thanks much! :)
There is no such thing. The BB has it's torque spec acording to manyfacturer.The rest of it is common sense.

This gives some recommendations http://trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/pdf/04_bike_owners_manual_en.pdf but really it's not that hard to figure out. Your water bottles aren't going to be going anywhere so just make sure they're in there tight enough to not rattle out. You don't want your seatpost to slip, neither do you want to crack a carbon fiber one nor your frame. But your seatpost bold does not have to be too tight to hold, and it would have to be super tight to crack stuff, so you've got a nice big window, should be pretty hard to miss.

You can easily crack a carbon seatpost. I did it a week ago, even following mfctr suggested torque rating at 60 in-lbs. I think this depends on a lot of factors like collar design and seat tube material, and how the slot is cut. If the threads are well greased in the collar, then it's easier to crush something as well.

I think the best torque advice I've gotten for the seatpost is just enough so it doesn't slip.

Careful with carbon!

hwttdz said:
This gives some recommendations http://trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/pdf/04_bike_owners_manual_en.pdf but really it's not that hard to figure out. Your water bottles aren't going to be carbon fiber one nor your frame. But your seatpost bold does not have to be too tight to hold, and it would have to be super tight to crack stuff, so you've got a nice big window, should be pretty hard to miss.

You'll have to look up each producers torque specs, but quite honesly after putting a bike together with a lotta carbon this summer...rear triangle, fork, seatpost, FSA crank, I was truly reluctant to follow most of the specs I found...I really thought I would break something. After 2000k nothing's fallen off, so I'm preaching the common sense method. You can screw up lite ALU just as fast too. I'm really curious where these torque specs actually come from. In particular FSA is crazy, and Ritchey seems excessive too!

hi carbon fiber frame and parts required an specific torque do to the vibration you can search google and you will find your bicycle specific frame torque, also you will need liquid torque is an special grease for the bolt's that help to thigh in place the bolt without breaking the carbon, when you dont use torque on carbon frame that when breaking comes up.....and remember carbon fiber has an specific life of use enjoy and cycling on

These fellas indicate using torque specs a little below what the manufacturer recommends:

0.jpg

I have never heard of CF having a shelf life, then again I'm no guru.