Torque tube

bikefuego

Feb 4, 2006
I felt like my power was a little low so I ran a test and found that my torque tube readings are 525 with an offset of 52. Is that close enough or do I need to get my torque tube serviced? Does anyone know what those numbers actually mean? I see that 512 is normal according to the manual. Is that with a zero offset? Should those two numbers together equal 512 (525-52)?

bikefuego said:
I felt like my power was a little low so I ran a test and found that my torque tube readings are 525 with an offset of 52. Is that close enough or do I need to get my torque tube serviced? Does anyone know what those numbers actually mean? I see that 512 is normal according to the manual. Is that with a zero offset? Should those two numbers together equal 512 (525-52)?

I spoke with Saris this morning and they told me the following:

When you zero the torque, you should be coasting with your feet OUT of the pedals. Otherwise, you'll end up wih negative torque. Also, zeroing from a stopped position is NOT accurate.

When you zero the torque, you must hold the button for 2 seconds until the zero flashes. Then you must hold down the button again for 5-6 seconds.

When you do a torque test (test mode), any number within 20 either side of the magic "512" is acceptable. Apparently, that "52" number doesn't actually mean anything, according to the tech I talked to (at least it doesn't affect my power readings).

Seems like they'd save themselves a lot of time if they put this stuff in the manual. At least they asnwer the phone on the first ring:)