Torque Wrench Questions...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Me, Jun 18, 2003.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    I've decided to take the plunge and buy a torque wrench specifically for my bike repairs. Questions:

    From Shimano's guides I notice that recommend Torque settings run range from 5nm (44 in/lbs) for a
    band on front mech clamp to 50-70nm (435-800 in/lbs) for a Bottom Bracket.

    Is it possible to buy one Torque Wrench that is calibrated for such a range? Or do I need
    to buy two?

    Should I get 3/8" drive or 1/2" or does it matter?

    Where in the UK sells an inexpensive but good one?

    Wheres a good place to buy the socet adapters that convert from sockets to say an 8mm (or 4,5,6mm)
    allen key?

    Thanks for the info!

    cheers,

    Tags:

  2. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Me wrote:
    > I've decided to take the plunge and buy a torque wrench specifically for my bike repairs.
    > Questions:
    >
    > From Shimano's guides I notice that recommend Torque settings run range from 5nm (44 in/lbs) for a
    > band on front mech clamp to 50-70nm (435-800 in/lbs) for a Bottom Bracket.
    >
    > Is it possible to buy one Torque Wrench that is calibrated for such a range? Or do I need to
    > buy two?

    I use 2. A wrench that goes up to 70 nm isn't very accurate at 44 in-lbs (if it even goes that
    far down).

    > Should I get 3/8" drive or 1/2" or does it matter?

    Mine are both 3/8".

    > Where in the UK sells an inexpensive but good one?

    (can't help here, I'm in the US).

    > Wheres a good place to buy the socet adapters that convert from sockets to say an 8mm (or 4,5,6mm)
    > allen key?

    The same place that you buy the wrenches will probably have a hex bits that will fit the wrench.
    Just make sure to get good quality.

    David

  3. Me

    Me Guest

    david,

    What two do sizes of torque wrench do you use? ie what are the two ranges?

    -cheers,

    Anyone know where I can get cheap one in the UK?

    "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Me wrote:
    > > I've decided to take the plunge and buy a torque wrench specifically for
    my
    > > bike repairs. Questions:
    > >
    > > From Shimano's guides I notice that recommend Torque settings run range
    from
    > > 5nm (44 in/lbs) for a band on front mech clamp to 50-70nm (435-800
    in/lbs)
    > > for a Bottom Bracket.
    > >
    > > Is it possible to buy one Torque Wrench that is calibrated for such a
    range?
    > > Or do I need to buy two?
    >
    > I use 2. A wrench that goes up to 70 nm isn't very accurate at 44 in-lbs (if it even goes that
    > far down).
    >
    > > Should I get 3/8" drive or 1/2" or does it matter?
    >
    > Mine are both 3/8".
    >
    > > Where in the UK sells an inexpensive but good one?
    >
    > (can't help here, I'm in the US).
    >
    > > Wheres a good place to buy the socet adapters that convert from sockets
    > > say an 8mm (or 4,5,6mm) allen key?
    >
    > The same place that you buy the wrenches will probably have a hex bits that will fit the wrench.
    > Just make sure to get good quality.
    >
    > David

  4. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Me wrote:
    > david,
    >
    > What two do sizes of torque wrench do you use? ie what are the two ranges?
    >
    > -cheers,
    >
    > Anyone know where I can get cheap one in the UK?
    >

    > "David Kunz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Me wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've decided to take the plunge and buy a torque wrench specifically for
    >
    > my
    >
    >>>bike repairs. Questions:
    >>>
    >>>From Shimano's guides I notice that recommend Torque settings run range
    >
    > from
    >
    >>>5nm (44 in/lbs) for a band on front mech clamp to 50-70nm (435-800
    >
    > in/lbs)
    >
    >>>for a Bottom Bracket.
    >>>
    >>>Is it possible to buy one Torque Wrench that is calibrated for such a
    >
    > range?
    >
    >>>Or do I need to buy two?
    >>
    >>I use 2. A wrench that goes up to 70 nm isn't very accurate at 44 in-lbs (if it even goes that
    >>far down).
    >>

    >>>Should I get 3/8" drive or 1/2" or does it matter?
    >>
    >>Mine are both 3/8".
    >>

    >>>Where in the UK sells an inexpensive but good one?
    >>
    >>(can't help here, I'm in the US).
    >>

    >>>Wheres a good place to buy the socet adapters that convert from sockets

    >>>say an 8mm (or 4,5,6mm) allen key?
    >>
    >>The same place that you buy the wrenches will probably have a hex bits that will fit the wrench.
    >>Just make sure to get good quality.
    >>
    >>David

    I bought them for car work, but they serve me well on the bike also. 25-250 in-lbs 10-75 ft-lbs
    (17-105 mn)

    David

  5. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    try practicing with bench bolts!! to get a feel for the torque. when i clean the shop and throw the
    trash out, i always ask before heaving the bag into the dumpster "am i throwing the torque wrench
    out? useful tool.