Torque Wrench Required

sergen

Jul 28, 2003
Taking my road bike on a flight in 2 months so I'll need to take the stem and handlebars off to pack it away in a bike box. Don't particulalrly fancy tightening them back on purely by 'feel' so wondered if a cheapish wrench was available that could also be packed away fairly easily.

From memory i think the stem bolts need to be tightened to 10nm.

Thanks.

This is exactly what you need: the Ritchey Torque Key

t448_28bdc799dfb7855e371302d3d4528e5b.jpg

alienator said:
This is exactly what you need: the Ritchey Torque Key

t448_28bdc799dfb7855e371302d3d4528e5b.jpg

Ritchey Torque key is very nice. Unfortunately the bit is fixed (as is the torque too), so if it does not match all the bolts you need to tighten, it is not as useful.

For example, when flying with my old Cervelo Soloist Team, I have to pack my "real" torque key, because the Ritchey tool cannot be used with the Cervelo seat post collar.

xtrainer said:
Ritchey Torque key is very nice. Unfortunately the bit is fixed (as is the torque too), so if it does not match all the bolts you need to tighten, it is not as useful.

Luckily, the OP only needs to tighten the steerer clamp and handlebar clamp, which almost always require 5 N-m of torque.

OP: the other option is to use a torque wrench at home to get a feel for what tightening to the required torque feels like, and then just take a wrench, allen key, or summat along with you, and tighten to feel. 5 N-m can be achieved, by feel, pretty easily. It'll take quite a bit more than that to damage the handlebar or stem.

I recommend that most people use one because most people overtighten but I have done it enough that I rarely use one so I guess I am a hypocrit. Of course I have been working on my own bikes since the mid 80's.

sergen said:
Taking my road bike on a flight in 2 months so I'll need to take the stem and handlebars off to pack it away in a bike box. Don't particulalrly fancy tightening them back on purely by 'feel' so wondered if a cheapish wrench was available that could also be packed away fairly easily.
Okay, the SIMPLEST solution is to buy an alloy bar and/or stem for your trip & then you won't have to worry about crushing anything.