Torque

skully

Oct 21, 2004
OK, how many of you use a torque wrench when working on your bikes?

Where do you get your torque recomendations?

skully said:

Never used one. Manufacturers are the best source for their specific stuff. Park Tool has general recommendations for alot of things.

skully said:

I have a Park torque wrench, and I've only used it once, to bolt together a carbon bar and a carbon faceplate-stem. Did so according to the bar and stem manufacturers recommendations, as Boudreaux would have suggested.

Seemed to work, I suppose. Bar didn't explode under the compressing force of the faceplate. Everything has held together. Not much more to ask for...

boudreaux said:
Never used one. Manufacturers are the best source for their specific stuff. Park Tool has general recommendations for alot of things.
Yeah, manufacturer's are usually a good source, however, I haven't had any luck with the "manufacturer" of the carbon stem I bought.

Does Park have torque stuff on their website?

Being part German, I use the good old German all-purpose torque spec... Guddentight. ;)

I consider it to be exessively precise on normal allen-type items, but on things like crankarms there is no option in my view. It is so easy to undertorque and screw up an arm and so effortless to do it the right way.
A basic one can be had at Sears hardware for 35 dollars, and a lot of components have torques listed on them or in the service bulletins included in shipping.

Conniebiker said:
.... but on things like crankarms there is no option in my view. It is so easy to undertorque and screw up an arm and so effortless to do it the right way.
A bizillion crank arm installs,and not one hosing or buggering. How can that be?? ;) :cool:

lokstah...what are you talking about? Bore-troll, the moron that he is, has never used a torque wrench in his life. Connie you are indeed correct.
George

biker7 said:
lokstah...what are you talking about? Bore-troll, the moron that he is, has never used a torque wrench in his life. Connie you are indeed correct.
George
Yeah, I've used one on motorcycles and trucks/cars. Connie is lame as usual.You two share the same crutch?

For carbon handlebars, tighten the binder until the bars just start to deform. Then go get a set of aluminum bars to replace them with.

boudreaux said:
Yeah, I've used one on motorcycles and trucks/cars. Connie is lame as usual.You two share the same crutch?
Crutch nothin. If the standard is as cheap as 35 bucks and it is good enough for the FAA to mandate I use it on everything that counts at work, why in the name of sense would I not use it for important things on my bikes?

Connie, I will save you some needless aggravation. In the name of "sense" and bore-troll's mindless musings are mutually exclusive. Best not to engage the pestilent troll. As if any lucid dialog were possible.
HTH,
George

Conniebiker said:
Crutch nothin. If the standard is as cheap as 35 bucks and it is good enough for the FAA to mandate I use it on everything that counts at work, why in the name of sense would I not use it for important things on my bikes?
Think about it. The FAA doesn't want planes falling out of the sky. :rolleyes: With a bike, it's just your bum and the pavement.And there is no Gov't agency involved. ;)

Bore-troll...are you ever right about anything?

di·a·logue or di·a·log ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d
imacr.gif
prime.gif
schwa.gif
-lôg
lprime.gif
, -l
obreve.gif
g
lprime.gif
)
n.
  1. A conversation between two or more people.
    1. <LI type=a>Conversation between characters in a drama or narrative.
    2. The lines or passages in a script that are intended to be spoken.
  2. A literary work written in the form of a conversation: the dialogues of Plato.
  3. Music. A composition or passage for two or more parts, suggestive of conversational interplay.
  4. An exchange of ideas or opinions: achieving constructive dialogue with all political elements.
Connie an object lesson for us both. I violated my cardinal rule...engaging the board's troll. Now be gone to the lighthouse you cloven hoofed beast...lol.

George

cydewaze said:
Being part German, I use the good old German all-purpose torque spec... Guddentight. ;)
Some day the ISO will wake up and recognize that one. I haven't used a torque wrench on a bike either.

Well why would I use a such a thing. I am way smarter than those engineer types that design this stuff. Sure they went to college but hey I'm special so I know more than them and didn't waste my time going to school like those suckers. Oh I forgot to mention that I am incedibly rich and money doesn't matter to me. Unlike you loosers if I ruin a $400 dollar crankset or a fancy bottom bracket what do I care. Besides the laws of physics don't apply to me anyway so there is no need for me to be concerned about them. Besides it not like the people who write up those directions really think about it when they're doing it. They probably just pick the numbers out of a hat or throw darts at a list or something thats what I would do. Even if the didn't do that its not like they have access to more information than me or consult with the leaders in the fields, or people that use this stuff day in and day out. No sir that why I don't bother with such trivial matters. I really only need two tools to do the work I do a big hammer and a really big hammer.