torture your new friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Seth Jayson

If there's anything more fun than watching your wife take her third 'bent ride, and drop roadies on
long, short, steep TOMRV climbs, someone tell me what it is.

Jen was on the Volae Team passing a group of roadies on a mile long climb outside Debuque and one of
them said, "how is that thing on hill?" She started to give a pleasant explanation until one of the
guys in the group said, "Hey, she's PASSING US."

Then there was the group of hammerheads in a paceline on a flat that she took off after, and
dropped. One of them broke rank with his fancy friends and got behind Jen at about 24 mph and yelled
back to his buddies, "You're on the WRONG WHEEL!"

Give me hills on the 'bent. It was more fun griding up those long and short inclines (a couple
supposedly were 14 and 16 degrees...) and boy can you fly on those rollers.

One of my many memorable fun times was meeting the guy (riding a lightspeed) that I went by on a
two-mile incline, Later down the road, we were chatting and he said, "You ought to drag a tow-rope
behind you."

Nothing like a bit of bent pride (some might call it a bit of a chip on the shoulder) to help you
scramble up those hills.

sj

"Seth Jayson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If there's anything more fun than watching your wife take her third 'bent ride, and drop roadies
> on long, short, steep TOMRV climbs, someone tell me what it is.
>

Seth, when are you types going to get it, we don't care about how fast bents are. We are out there
testing our fitness and athletic ability against other riders that are riding real bikes. It's a
test of fitness, a bent doesn't fit into that picture. ANYONE can make those things go fast, big
deal. We are out there competing.

We couldn't care less how fast someone can make one of those things that look like a portable
sawmill go.

That would be like an Olympic runner caring about some girl riding an old horse going by them. See,
we're not even talking about your fitness, it's just a matter of anyone can make one of those
monster geared contraptions go fast.

Seth, you sly old smoothie. It's too easy! I don't think he meets the size limit and you're going to
have to throw him back in. "Seth Jayson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> If there's anything more fun than watching your wife take her third 'bent ride, and drop roadies
>
> Jen was on the Volae Team passing a group of roadies on a mile long climb outside Debuque and one
> of them said, "how is that thing on hill?" She started to give a pleasant explanation until one of
> the guys in the group said, "Hey, she's PASSING US."
>
> Then there was the group of hammerheads in a paceline on a flat that she took off after, and
> dropped. One of them broke rank with his fancy friends and got behind Jen at about 24 mph and
> yelled back to his buddies, "You're on the WRONG WHEEL!"
>
> Give me hills on the 'bent. It was more fun griding up those long and short inclines (a couple
> supposedly were 14 and 16 degrees...) and boy can you fly on those rollers.
>
> One of my many memorable fun times was meeting the guy (riding a lightspeed) that I went by on a
> two-mile incline, Later down the road, we were chatting and he said, "You ought to drag a tow-rope
> behind you."
>
> Nothing like a bit of bent pride (some might call it a bit of a chip on the shoulder) to help you
> scramble up those hills.
>
> sj

In article <[email protected]>, harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com says...
> Seth, you sly old smoothie. It's too easy! I don't think he meets the size limit and you're going
> to have to throw him back in. "Seth Jayson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > If there's anything more fun than watching your wife take her third 'bent ride, and drop roadies
> > on long, short, steep TOMRV climbs, someone tell me what it is.

There is no limit for Big Mouth Bass.

--
Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

Originally posted by Fabrizio Mazzol
[B

Seth, when are you types going to get it, we don't care about how fast bents are. We are out there
testing our fitness and athletic ability against other riders that are riding real bikes. It's a
test of fitness, a bent doesn't fit into that picture. ANYONE can make those things go fast, big
deal. We are out there competing.

We couldn't care less how fast someone can make one of those things that look like a portable
sawmill go.

That would be like an Olympic runner caring about some girl riding an old horse going by them. See,
we're not even talking about your fitness, it's just a matter of anyone can make one of those
monster geared contraptions go fast. [/B]

Interesting, for someone who is against bents, you sure spend lots of time trolling this board.

Guys, methinks that Flabio has a secret desire...:p

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>
> "Seth Jayson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> If there's anything more fun than watching your wife take her third 'bent ride, and drop roadies
>> on long, short, steep TOMRV climbs, someone tell me what it is.
>>
>
> Seth, when are you types going to get it, we don't care about how fast bents are. We are out there
> testing our fitness and athletic ability against other riders that are riding real bikes. It's a
> test of fitness, a bent doesn't fit into that picture. ANYONE can make those things go fast, big
> deal. We are out there competing.
>
> We couldn't care less how fast someone can make one of those things that look like a portable
> sawmill go.
>
>
Yeah,right.

--
<A HREF="mailto:postmaster@[127.0.0.1]"

I didn't think I'd get a bite from Herr Fabio so quickly. I thought he might have offered some kind
of excuse like "wait until you get to the hills."

But seeing as since I chewed up and spit out dozens of Colnagos, Trek CFs, Litespeeds, Lemonds, etc.
etc. ON THE UPHILLS, (the looks on their faces were precious, especially when I dropped entire
matching teams at one time. I hope they noted the fenders and duct tape on the RANS Rocket that they
couldn't catch.)

I guess he needs to now pretend that the bike offers an unfair advantage.

Fabio! This is all for fun, so bring your fancy-boy kit to a ride some time, and after we drop you
we'll buy you a beer and still have a laugh!

PS. notice how so-called Fabio has never responded to any of the Italian queries in this thread? I
think he might be using a
PPooodooughnim.

Vieni, Fabio. Voi giocare per colline?

Fabrizio is obviously the alter ego of a regular arbr contributor, used to stir up the hive. Joshua,
perhaps...? "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > If there's anything more fun than watching your wife take her third 'bent ride, and drop roadies
> > on long, short, steep TOMRV climbs, someone tell me what it is.
> >
>
> Seth, when are you types going to get it, we don't care about how fast bents are. We are out there
> testing our fitness and athletic ability against other riders that are riding real bikes. It's a
> test of fitness, a bent doesn't fit into that picture. ANYONE can make those things go fast, big
>
> We couldn't care less how fast someone can make one of those things that look like a portable
> sawmill go.
>
> That would be like an Olympic runner caring about some girl riding an old horse going by them.
> See, we're not even talking about your fitness, it's just a matter of anyone can make one of those
> monster geared contraptions go fast.

I like the way he capitalized 'me' in one of his posts.

Just a WAG, but Blabbio polly isn't old enough to drink.

See ya' on LSD Sunday. I'll be looking for the babe on the Volae drag racing the fast monkey on the
Cobra, and the Rocket guy who's taking notes in their wake. <big grin>. I'll be the fat, slow guy
with the beard waaaay back in the pack on a 'REX. Seth Jayson <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> I didn't think I'd get a bite from Herr Fabio so quickly. I thought he might have offered some
> kind of excuse like "wait until you get to the hills."
>
> But seeing as since I chewed up and spit out dozens of Colnagos, Trek CFs, Litespeeds, Lemonds,
> etc. etc. ON THE UPHILLS, (the looks on their faces were precious, especially when I dropped
> entire matching teams at one time. I hope they noted the fenders and duct tape on the RANS Rocket
> that they couldn't catch.)
>
> I guess he needs to now pretend that the bike offers an unfair advantage.
>
> Fabio! This is all for fun, so bring your fancy-boy kit to a ride some time, and after we drop you
> we'll buy you a beer and still have a laugh!
>
> PS. notice how so-called Fabio has never responded to any of the Italian queries in this thread? I
> think he might be using a
> psooodooughnim.
>
> Vieni, Fabio. Voi giocare per colline?

In article <[email protected]>, g19glock1 <[email protected]> wrote:

> Fabrizio Mazzol wrote:
> > [B Seth, when are you types going to get it, we don't care about how fast bents are. We are
> > out there testing our fitness and athletic ability against other riders that are riding real
> > bikes. It's a test of fitness, a bent doesn't fit into that picture. ANYONE can make those
> > things go fast, big deal. We are out there competing. We couldn't care less how fast someone
> > can make one of those things that look like a portable sawmill go. That would be like an
> > Olympic runner caring about some girl riding an old horse going by them. See, we're not even
> > talking about your fitness, it's just a matter of anyone can make one of those monster geared
> > contraptions go fast.
>
>
>
> Interesting, for someone who is against bents, you sure spend lots of time trolling this board.
>
> Guys, methinks that Flabio has a secret desire...:p
>

And speaking so highly of their superiority to boot.

Charleson Mambo

(mostly lurking)

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To confuse, inveigle, and obfuscate.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<spam> www.accanthology.com Buy "The Alt.Cyberpunk.Chatsubo Anthology" </spam>

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 08:52:06 -0400, "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Fabrizio is obviously the alter ego of a regular arbr contributor

And there was I thinking he was Jon Isaacs' sock puppet...

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

I think Fab predates Joshua by a bit.

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 08:52:06 -0400, "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Fabrizio is obviously the alter ego of a regular arbr contributor, used to stir up the hive.
>Joshua, perhaps...? "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Seth Jayson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > If there's anything more fun than watching your wife take her third 'bent ride, and drop
>> > roadies on long, short, steep TOMRV climbs, someone tell me what it is.
>> >
>>
>> Seth, when are you types going to get it, we don't care about how fast bents are. We are out
>> there testing our fitness and athletic ability against other riders that are riding real bikes.
>> It's a test of fitness, a bent doesn't fit into that picture. ANYONE can make those things go
>> fast, big deal. We are out there competing.
>>
>> We couldn't care less how fast someone can make one of those things that look like a portable
>> sawmill go.
>>
>> That would be like an Olympic runner caring about some girl riding an old horse going by them.
>> See, we're not even talking about your fitness, it's just a matter of anyone can make one of
>> those monster geared contraptions go fast.
>>
>

"Seth Jayson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Fabio! This is all for fun, so bring your fancy-boy kit to a ride some time, and after we drop
> you we'll buy you a beer and still have a laugh!

Careful there Seth, a benter will NEVER drop anyone from a group of real roadies. What the problem
is you guys don't have a really good reference when it comes to fast on a bike.

Those pacelines you refer to are really only made up of ameuter riders, guys who for reasons of
their own never made the step up to the pro level.

I only ride with very select riders, if we ever attacked from the group there is no way any benter
could react let alone even hope to ever catch up.

You guys would be amazed at the pace we hammer out even on just a tempo ride.

If it was all about fitness etc. we could all hop off of our bikes and just run. Or you could
race with all the exact same bikes. Doesn't every racer use a better bike than they had 10
years ago? I think part of the fun of racing a machine is in the design advancements, which
helps all users down the line. Seth, it must be fun riding with such a fast partner. If I rode
on your nice 'bent, I would make it look slow. :) Russell

You are right I am amazed what pro cyclist can accomplish. Unfortunately you post here do not make
me believe that you are one of those pro cyclist. A good tight paceline of pro cyclists probably
could drop nearly any bent cyclist. The aero advantage of a good paceline is nearly as good as a
lowracer, and few bent riders are at the athletic level of the best cyclists. However my bent allows
me to attain speeds (averages and maxs) far faster than I could accomplish on any road bike and in
comfort. I may not be a top athlete but with a little more work I expect to be catching some amateur
pacelines on ridea later this year. And even completing those rides on an upright is just not
smething I want to attempt. Craig

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Fabio! This is all for fun, so bring your fancy-boy kit to a ride some
> > time, and after we drop you we'll buy you a beer and still have a laugh!
>
> Careful there Seth, a benter will NEVER drop anyone from a group of real roadies. What the problem
> is you guys don't have a really good reference when it comes to fast on a bike.
>
> Those pacelines you refer to are really only made up of ameuter riders, guys who for reasons of
> their own never made the step up to the pro level.
>
> I only ride with very select riders, if we ever attacked from the group there is no way any benter
> could react let alone even hope to ever catch up.
>
> You guys would be amazed at the pace we hammer out even on just a tempo ride.

Flabio, Blabio, what-ever you call yourself. You just don't get it do you. You pretend to be some
kind of racer wannabe, and dress up in some silly costume. One day when you grow up, you will
realize that most of the fine folks here are recreational riders just like you WITHOUT the little
DF/bent hardon you carry. I believe that you are really just a closet 'bent lover and can't face the
prospects of comming out for fear that your similarly less enlightened "friends" would shun you and
the resulting loss of what little self esteem you have would leave you crippled. Just my opinion.

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > Fabio! This is all for fun, so bring your fancy-boy kit to a ride some
> > time, and after we drop you we'll buy you a beer and still have a laugh!
>
> Careful there Seth, a benter will NEVER drop anyone from a group of real roadies. What the problem
> is you guys don't have a really good reference when it comes to fast on a bike.
>
> Those pacelines you refer to are really only made up of ameuter riders, guys who for reasons of
> their own never made the step up to the pro level.
>
> I only ride with very select riders, if we ever attacked from the group there is no way any benter
> could react let alone even hope to ever catch up.
>
> You guys would be amazed at the pace we hammer out even on just a tempo ride.

> "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > I only ride with very select riders, if we ever attacked from the group there is no way any
> > benter could react let alone even hope to ever catch up.
> >
> > You guys would be amazed at the pace we hammer out even on just a tempo ride.

As another select rider on the level of Fabrizio, I have to agree -- with one caveat. If we all
happen to have golf ball sized groin boils on the same day, it's more difficult to keep the pace.
However, with enough crotch salve, our whippet-like legs can perform at nearly 90%.

Sergio

Sure Fabrizio, "We are out there testing our fitness and athletic ability against other riders" It's
not about the bike. Why then are all the DF riders I know are so concerned about every excess gram
on their bike? Be surenot to fill your water bottle more than half way. Concerned about the hills,
are ya? Sure. Buying lighter wheels than your buddies to get a little advantage, are ya? Cycling is
about the bike and rider. Otherwise we'e be runners. And sure, me on my Aerocycle against a Euro Pro
peleton-- the peleton wins. But, me against all the local Euro Pro Dress Up Kids... well, that's
another story.

Just keep turning the pedals; whatever they're attached to, and have a safe, fun time.

Best regards, Bruce -not quite ready to take on the Pro Peleton- Shannahoff

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<SgREa.156648

Seth Jayson wrote:
>

That's easy to answer. Watching you wife roast 'em is one thing, but it's still best to experience
it in first person. (If you don't believe me, ask your wife.)

About ten miles into tonight's club ride, I decided the 'A' riders weren't going fast enough. So, I
passed 'em! I topped a shallow rise, built up some speed on a short downhill, tucked through a tight
turn, and hammered out three small rollers. By the time they topped the last hill, I was almost out
of sight. They worked the pace line, but it didn't do them any good. The leaders finished six
minutes behind me (more than two miles back.)

I've been riding with this group long enough that they understand, sometimes I get happy legs and
just have to let the bike run. I apologized to them, saying that I really *tried* to hang with them,
but they dropped me off the front! They all got a good laugh at that.
--

John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)
_________(_)`=()___________________(_)= (_)_____

Nice one John. Baron or V-Rex?

As for droppin 'em myself, I did plenty of that on the uphills. I took great pride in the anguished
looks on the Pinarello, Litespeed, Trek carbone, and Colnago pilots as they tried to catch me. I was
fueled by pure 'bent pride, but still surprised that not a single one of them managed to bonk me on
any of those hills.

The most satisfying part is at the top, when the results of a nice fast spin set in. I don't know
how others feel, but for me, a couple of seconds of rest after a 100 rpm spin are enough to rejuve
the legs, and then I can upshift and mash a couple strokes and be gone. At that point, the mashing
DFers (and most of them, being muy macho, were mashing) had such tired legs, that they needed to
slow down at the crest.

I imagine this is all a result of using different muscle tissues for the job. A distance runner type
like me can hold a high rpm spin for quite a while, and while it burns the whole time, there's not
much of a chance that the legs will just up and fail. Meanwhile, pushing big weights, I mean, gears,
kills even the best and strongest riders. How many heavy squat presses can those boys do? Plenty,
but not as many as someone can spin.

I guess Lance's spinning up those mountains past the mashers proves that it's a viable, if not
preferable, strategy for all hill climbing.

I really *tried* to hang with them,
> but they dropped me off the front! They all got a good laugh at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.