Tory Leadership Contender refutes cycling rumour?

Hi All,

little in life held less interest to me than the Tory leadership
contest...

...until I noticed, on the news, one of the contenders (David Cameron?)
arriving outside the Houses of Parliment on his bicycle. H****t
removed for the cameras as he arrived, riding what appeared to be an
MTB (flat handlebars anyway, may have been a hybrid or flat-bar
tourer).

Is this a an attempt to appear green, young, fit etc. for the cameras,
or is he a "real" cyclist? Anyone any idea?

Regards,

bookieb.

[email protected] wrote:
<snip the boy David on a bike>
> Is this a an attempt to appear green, young, fit etc. for the cameras,
> or is he a "real" cyclist? Anyone any idea?

according to his web site:
> In the last three years he has completed three sponsored bicycle rides raising around £8000 for a range of local charities <snip>
> Outside work, David's interests include playing tennis, riding, country sports and watching television. He is a keen cook. <but not cycling>

Notging else on cycling following a cursory glance at the rest of the
site.

Does N/R have any insights?

best wishes
james

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> little in life held less interest to me than the Tory leadership
> contest...
>
> ...until I noticed, on the news, one of the contenders (David Cameron?)
> arriving outside the Houses of Parliment on his bicycle. H****t
> removed for the cameras as he arrived, riding what appeared to be an
> MTB (flat handlebars anyway, may have been a hybrid or flat-bar
> tourer).
>
> Is this a an attempt to appear green, young, fit etc. for the cameras,
> or is he a "real" cyclist? Anyone any idea?

Seems he often rides in to work..
:) or :-(
All the best
Dan Gregory

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> little in life held less interest to me than the Tory leadership
> contest...
>
> ..until I noticed, on the news, one of the contenders (David Cameron?)
> arriving outside the Houses of Parliment on his bicycle. H****t
> removed for the cameras as he arrived, riding what appeared to be an
> MTB (flat handlebars anyway, may have been a hybrid or flat-bar
> tourer).
>
> Is this a an attempt to appear green, young, fit etc. for the cameras,
> or is he a "real" cyclist? Anyone any idea?

He is a 'real' cyclist if he uses the bike for transport but isn't
particularly interested in leisure riding. In the same way that 90% of
motorists just do 'utility motoring' without really caring much about
the car except when the annual bills come in.

N/R might get a chance to quiz DD and DC on their attitudes to
transport at the various hustings.?

...d

[email protected] wrote:

> Is this a an attempt to appear green, young, fit etc. for the cameras,
> or is he a "real" cyclist? Anyone any idea?

Apparently he frequently rides to work. This makes him a real cyclist in
my book.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune

On 25 Oct 2005 05:58:51 -0700, "David Martin"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>He is a 'real' cyclist if he uses the bike for transport but isn't
>particularly interested in leisure riding.

Sorry to nit pick, but being interested in leisure riding does not
affect any "real cyclist" status.

In other words, two cyclists who regularly commute to and from work,
but one has an additional interest in leisure cycling, should carry
the same "real cyclist" credentials.

Bertie Wiggins wrote:
> On 25 Oct 2005 05:58:51 -0700, "David Martin"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >He is a 'real' cyclist if he uses the bike for transport but isn't
> >particularly interested in leisure riding.

> Sorry to nit pick, but being interested in leisure riding does not
> affect any "real cyclist" status.
>
> In other words, two cyclists who regularly commute to and from work,
> but one has an additional interest in leisure cycling, should carry
> the same "real cyclist" credentials.

Nit pick duly accepted.. A real cyclist is one who makes practical use
of a bike. Whether for transport, fitness or mental health..

A surreal cyclist on the other hand...

...d

On 25 Oct 2005 07:41:20 -0700, "David Martin"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Nit pick duly accepted.. A real cyclist is one who makes practical use
>of a bike. Whether for transport, fitness or mental health..
>
>A surreal cyclist on the other hand...

Fish don't need bicycles.

Judith

David Martin wrote:

> N/R might get a chance to quiz DD and DC on their attitudes to
> transport at the various hustings.?
>
> ...d

Last time I met DC was just before he'd formally put his hat in the ring
but was well into pre-campaign glad handing.

Unfortunately for this group I was at the time under strict instructions
from my wife not raise the issue of cycle politics. I'd mentioned to her
that I'd heard he was a cycle commuter. I received the familiar lecture
about not being seen as a single issue bloke. (Actually, the phrase
"only you could think of deciding the future PM on the basis of which
bloody bike he rides"[1], may have been used.)

Have never met DD.

However, I'm sure I'll find out where they stand on transport issues
over the next few weeks. Will report back.

[1] Forget left-right politics. Wouldn't it be easier to decide if it
came down to a Campag-Shimano split?

Judith wrote:
> On 25 Oct 2005 07:41:20 -0700, "David Martin"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Nit pick duly accepted.. A real cyclist is one who makes practical use
> >of a bike. Whether for transport, fitness or mental health..
> >
> >A surreal cyclist on the other hand...

> Fish don't need bicycles.

I would submit that you are wrong.

...d

Not Responding wrote:

> [1] Forget left-right politics. Wouldn't it be easier to decide if it
> came down to a Campag-Shimano split?

Not really. NR for Tory leader! Or Boris if they insist on a
familiar name - at least he's a cyclist :)

There's something deeply broken in a system and party which spends
all its time agonising over a single person and ascribes such
near-mystical significance to a choice of leader. Until the
Sinister Tendency - the ones who refused to accept a democratic
result and had the knives^H^Hpricks permanently in drunken-smith's
back - can be crushed, your only hope is The Liar shooting himself
in the foot several more times.

--
not me guv

Judith wrote:
> On 25 Oct 2005 07:41:20 -0700, "David Martin"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Nit pick duly accepted.. A real cyclist is one who makes practical use
>> of a bike. Whether for transport, fitness or mental health..
>>
>> A surreal cyclist on the other hand...

> Fish don't need bicycles.

How do you get them home from Tescos then?

--
Tony

Anon

Bertie Wiggins <cycling_remove_bertie@yahoo_dot_co_dot_uk> wrote:
> On 25 Oct 2005 05:58:51 -0700, "David Martin"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>He is a 'real' cyclist if he uses the bike for transport but isn't
>>particularly interested in leisure riding.

> Sorry to nit pick, but being interested in leisure riding does not
> affect any "real cyclist" status.

A 'real' cyclist is one who doesn't use one of those gay 'turbo' things during
winter because it's too dark/wet/cold for their poor widdle legs to cope with.

[email protected]lid wrote:
> Bertie Wiggins <cycling_remove_bertie@yahoo_dot_co_dot_uk> wrote:
> > On 25 Oct 2005 05:58:51 -0700, "David Martin"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>He is a 'real' cyclist if he uses the bike for transport but isn't
> >>particularly interested in leisure riding.

> > Sorry to nit pick, but being interested in leisure riding does not
> > affect any "real cyclist" status.

> A 'real' cyclist is one who doesn't use one of those gay 'turbo' things

What's a Gay Turbo thing? A Suburu Impreza? Are we slagging Clarkson
again?

[email protected]lid wrote:
> Bertie Wiggins <cycling_remove_bertie@yahoo_dot_co_dot_uk> wrote:
> > On 25 Oct 2005 05:58:51 -0700, "David Martin"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>He is a 'real' cyclist if he uses the bike for transport but isn't
> >>particularly interested in leisure riding.

> > Sorry to nit pick, but being interested in leisure riding does not
> > affect any "real cyclist" status.

> A 'real' cyclist is one who doesn't use one of those gay 'turbo' things during
> winter because it's too dark/wet/cold for their poor widdle legs to cope with.

If it was "too dark/wet/cold for their poor widdle legs" a real cyclist
would use another transport mode since they would have been using their
cycle to go somewhere. In muchteh same way that a train passenger on a
broken down train would get off rather than stay on a make their own
Chuff Chuff noises

best wishes
james

Not Responding wrote:
> [1] Forget left-right politics. Wouldn't it be easier to decide if it
> came down to a Campag-Shimano split?

So what does that make us Rohloff riders? The MRL Party?

sothach wrote:

> So what does that make us Rohloff riders? The MRL Party?

Or The House Of Lords, perhaps? ;-)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:
> sothach wrote:
>
> > So what does that make us Rohloff riders? The MRL Party?

> Or The House Of Lords, perhaps? ;-)

That's strictly for those with front mechs: Lord of the Chain-rings.
HoL wouldn't have me - too furrin. I could try the for Seanad, I
suppose,
but would it be posh enough?