TOSRV Report ?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Duncan Cooper, May 12, 2003.

  1. Anyone here in arbr go ? I missed due to family committments. Anybody care to comment ?

    Living vicariously

    Coop

    Tags:

  2. Schodges

    Schodges Guest

    "Duncan Cooper" Anyone here in arbr go ? TOSRV was attended by at least 8 bents, one tandem. a&b and
    I went. It was slightly cool and there was a mixup at the 62 mile start so some people didn't get
    start packs. Organization was pretty good overall though. Food was better than average, though I
    didn't realize there would be nothing provided on Sunday til 25mi down the road. Good thing I had
    kept my plate of strawberry shortcake in the frige. Sat nite's meal was superb, served cafeteria
    style at a HS with multiple choices of veggies and for carnivores. Course is pretty flat with the
    100mi being hillier at the beginning/end. Scenery was nice, as were the roads: more pecan orchards
    just coming into leaf than I believed possible and enormous peanut (?) fields completely devoid of
    any greenery despite road side grass upto 8-12" high. Herbicide use must be in the ton per acre
    range. Strange to see 400acres of completely brown plantfree soil. Nice to be on the bent with the
    5-10mph headwind on Sat. No tailwind going back Sun, naturally. Looked to be 300+ riders, not as
    many as I expected. Some fast DF groups roaring around. Another astonishing view: two 300-350# women
    on bikes with a juxtaposition of one such next to an anorexic female with a front to back thickness
    of 4" at the waist, a stunning contrast at the Sat brunch site. All in all a pleasant weekend but
    probably not something I would seek out again.. Bents seen: GRR, ER, VSqd, Vision, two types, V Rex
    and a&b on the Aero and my Ti Rotator. Steve

  3. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest

    Duncan Cooper wrote:
    > Anyone here in arbr go ? I missed due to family committments. Anybody care to comment ?
    >
    > Living vicariously
    >
    > Coop

    Are you referring to the Tour of the Scioto River Valley? If so, I was one of quite a few
    recumbents riders, but only a handful of trikes were there. A lot of rain riding from the
    Cincinnati area up to Columbus on Friday, a little less but still annoying amounts on Saturday
    from Columbus to Portsmouth, very little on Sunday on the ride back to Columbus - with
    unbelievable tailwinds - and overcast skies and brain-numbing headwinds for the ride from
    Columbus back to the Cincinnati area on Monday. One other comment: my trike was definitely a plus
    on the bad-angled, wet railroad tracks. Lots of people went down, both upright and recumbent.
    Three wheels are sometimes much better than two.

    --
    Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

  4. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    Larry Varney <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Are you referring to the Tour of the Scioto River Valley? If so, I was one of quite a few
    > recumbents riders, but only a handful of trikes were there. A lot of rain riding from the
    > Cincinnati area up to Columbus on Friday, a little less but still annoying amounts on Saturday
    > from Columbus to Portsmouth, very little on Sunday on the ride back to Columbus [...]

    Shoot Larry, you've ridden in so much rain this spring, you must have webbed toes by now. ;-)

    JohnRiley1 (at) rogers.com

  5. Larry Varney

    Larry Varney Guest

    TBRADSTER wrote:
    > I did TOSRV this year, 3rd year for me; had to miss 2002. I saw Larry Varney on his new trike
    > pulling into the Lake White rest stop.
    >
    > More bents than in other years, but still fewer than the Michigan rides (i.e. DALMAC).
    >
    > TOSRV is notorious for bad weather and this year was no exception. Rain with intermittent t-storms
    > on the way to Portsmouth; I got off the road once and took sheter in a barn with about 30 other
    > people at one point because of the number of lightning strikes.
    >
    > There was a new rest stop in the Circleville area, but you had to ride about
    > 1/2 mile down a crowded dirt road to get the to rest stop (at a dairy farm). Not entirely
    > successful as a stop.
    >
    > Camping at the stadium was good; the rain stopped about 7:30 PM and didn't start again until 5:30
    > AM on Sunday, just in time to pack up and take down the tent.
    >
    > Initially,a tailwind on Sunday that turned into a vicious crosswind for most of ride to Columbus.
    >
    > TOSRV is good. Has a different feel than the Michigan rides, with lots of pacelines and fast
    > roadies. The fastest guy I saw was a coroplast-faired P-38 with tailbox. Committing to TOSRV means
    > getting ready for back to back centuries very early in the season for us northern boys.
    >
    > Brad R40 with big fat tires.

    I didn't even visit the rest stop near Circleville on Saturday - it just looked too muddy. It
    must have been a case of timing or something, too, since most of my ride on Sunday had tailwinds,
    with just occasional
    - but memorable! - crosswinds. One thing I've found out about those pacelines - they don't want to
    trip over a trike. It was nice to see them move over for a change. Still, someone should tell them
    how dangerous it is to pass someone at speed with little more than a foot or so clearance. And
    about that guy on the P-38: you should see him on his Baron!

    --
    Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney