TOSRV Report ?

Duncan Cooper

Guest
Anyone here in arbr go ? I missed due to family committments. Anybody care to comment ?

Living vicariously

Coop

"Duncan Cooper" Anyone here in arbr go ? TOSRV was attended by at least 8 bents, one tandem. a&b and
I went. It was slightly cool and there was a mixup at the 62 mile start so some people didn't get
start packs. Organization was pretty good overall though. Food was better than average, though I
didn't realize there would be nothing provided on Sunday til 25mi down the road. Good thing I had
kept my plate of strawberry shortcake in the frige. Sat nite's meal was superb, served cafeteria
style at a HS with multiple choices of veggies and for carnivores. Course is pretty flat with the
100mi being hillier at the beginning/end. Scenery was nice, as were the roads: more pecan orchards
just coming into leaf than I believed possible and enormous peanut (?) fields completely devoid of
any greenery despite road side grass upto 8-12" high. Herbicide use must be in the ton per acre
range. Strange to see 400acres of completely brown plantfree soil. Nice to be on the bent with the
5-10mph headwind on Sat. No tailwind going back Sun, naturally. Looked to be 300+ riders, not as
many as I expected. Some fast DF groups roaring around. Another astonishing view: two 300-350# women
on bikes with a juxtaposition of one such next to an anorexic female with a front to back thickness
of 4" at the waist, a stunning contrast at the Sat brunch site. All in all a pleasant weekend but
probably not something I would seek out again.. Bents seen: GRR, ER, VSqd, Vision, two types, V Rex
and a&b on the Aero and my Ti Rotator. Steve

Duncan Cooper wrote:
> Anyone here in arbr go ? I missed due to family committments. Anybody care to comment ?
>
> Living vicariously
>
> Coop

Are you referring to the Tour of the Scioto River Valley? If so, I was one of quite a few
recumbents riders, but only a handful of trikes were there. A lot of rain riding from the
Cincinnati area up to Columbus on Friday, a little less but still annoying amounts on Saturday
from Columbus to Portsmouth, very little on Sunday on the ride back to Columbus - with
unbelievable tailwinds - and overcast skies and brain-numbing headwinds for the ride from
Columbus back to the Cincinnati area on Monday. One other comment: my trike was definitely a plus
on the bad-angled, wet railroad tracks. Lots of people went down, both upright and recumbent.
Three wheels are sometimes much better than two.

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

Larry Varney <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Are you referring to the Tour of the Scioto River Valley? If so, I was one of quite a few
> recumbents riders, but only a handful of trikes were there. A lot of rain riding from the
> Cincinnati area up to Columbus on Friday, a little less but still annoying amounts on Saturday
> from Columbus to Portsmouth, very little on Sunday on the ride back to Columbus [...]

Shoot Larry, you've ridden in so much rain this spring, you must have webbed toes by now. ;-)

JohnRiley1 (at) rogers.com

TBRADSTER wrote:
> I did TOSRV this year, 3rd year for me; had to miss 2002. I saw Larry Varney on his new trike
> pulling into the Lake White rest stop.
>
> More bents than in other years, but still fewer than the Michigan rides (i.e. DALMAC).
>
> TOSRV is notorious for bad weather and this year was no exception. Rain with intermittent t-storms
> on the way to Portsmouth; I got off the road once and took sheter in a barn with about 30 other
> people at one point because of the number of lightning strikes.
>
> There was a new rest stop in the Circleville area, but you had to ride about
> 1/2 mile down a crowded dirt road to get the to rest stop (at a dairy farm). Not entirely
> successful as a stop.
>
> Camping at the stadium was good; the rain stopped about 7:30 PM and didn't start again until 5:30
> AM on Sunday, just in time to pack up and take down the tent.
>
> Initially,a tailwind on Sunday that turned into a vicious crosswind for most of ride to Columbus.
>
> TOSRV is good. Has a different feel than the Michigan rides, with lots of pacelines and fast
> roadies. The fastest guy I saw was a coroplast-faired P-38 with tailbox. Committing to TOSRV means
> getting ready for back to back centuries very early in the season for us northern boys.
>
> Brad R40 with big fat tires.

I didn't even visit the rest stop near Circleville on Saturday - it just looked too muddy. It
must have been a case of timing or something, too, since most of my ride on Sunday had tailwinds,
with just occasional
- but memorable! - crosswinds. One thing I've found out about those pacelines - they don't want to
trip over a trike. It was nice to see them move over for a change. Still, someone should tell them
how dangerous it is to pass someone at speed with little more than a foot or so clearance. And
about that guy on the P-38: you should see him on his Baron!

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney