Total beginner. advice?

jahroberts

May 13, 2016
Hey everyone,

Now due to advice from doctors regarding lung+heart problems, I've been told to do more cardio.

I already do cardio on an indoor bike machine, but because of how boring it is I guess I don't do enough, so I figured I'll take up cycling to enjoy some scenery.

Now my last bike was when I was 16 and it was just some random mountain bike, I am looking for a general riding mountain bike, but seen as you guys are the experts I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction?

Much appreciated, thank you.

Not sure what your real problem is but I would think that using a HRM would be beneficial for your problem so you don't over do your heart?

I'm not one to be highly knowledgeable about MTB's, but I am partial to Kona brand of MTB's, they're priced reasonably and are light weight. If your price range is on the lower end stay away from bikes with either a front or rear suspension, cheap suspensions don't work well and don't last long plus the price of the cheap suspension parts takes away from the quality of components so then you get cheap crappy components!

Obviously there are a lot of brands of MTB's on the market, I just mentioned one, not saying Kona is the best, but I own a Kona Lava Dome and it is a very well made bike (mine is the older version that didn't have the suspension fork like the one today has).

Anyway I hope by posting that it bump this thread up so someone else will respond.

Why a mountain bike?

If you're not hopping rocks youll be fine with a cyclocross bike too.

Actually... Why a bike? :D swimming brah, swimming. :D

Thanks to both of you for replying :)

I'm gonna do a bit of research on what you guys mentioned, should help a bunch, thanks dudes.

Where are you going to ride? If you're going to cycle a lot on flat, nice roads, a cyclocross will the best. Mountain bike will beat anytime you move to a rougher terrain or some hills/slopes (not to mention actual mountains). Generally, MTB is more flexible, and probbaly the go-to bike for recreational cycling. Others are for more advanced rides.

I honestly believe that the guys selling bikes at your local retail store would be of more help than us. They know the specifics that you want, and after you have decided on a price, you can definitely get the best one for you if you can afford it. You can also have the luxury of having professional advice from them, as well as if you DO buy from them, you can always have their services for repairs and all that, when you are under the warranty of the item that you bought. So there's no worry about getting any expenses if there are any damages to your bike in the future.

All good advice up there I think! I do not think that I need to invest in a heart rate monitor but it may be advisable that you spend some money on buying one. Even though the medical advice given to you is to do more cardio but cardio could(it might not but it is better safe than sorry!) cause another problem or make the problem worse. If you are in doubt make sure you talk to your doctor, they are the only people who may be able to advise you on this fully, like I am only going on an assumption as when we work hard our heart beats faster and harder:confused:

Indoor cycling is the most boring thing in my opinion because our scenery is not changing. But, if you are also cycling the same route over and over this can get nearly as boring as indoor cycling, so have different routes known so you can change things up a bit. Full on mountain bikes are more generally aimed towards mountains because they can be quite tough to cycle fast on the road due to the increased friction involved, but if you are looking for something more recreational this may not be a problem in your case, but as others said there are bikes which are more universal.

Ya, do go and look and in your local bike stores. They would be the best to advise you. Especially, because they will have knowledge on your local area and it's terrain and maybe even discuss routes with you. They may also fit the bike so you are at less risk of injury and if the bike is the right size you would be able to cycle more efficiently. If you have any more questions, please ask away!;)

Good Luck,
CycleLad99

I'm a newbie when it comes to cycling. I do not own a bike but I'm trying to boost my cardio. I have read you guys posts and they are very beneficial. Hopefully I will be riding son especially since the weather is nice here in Georgia.

My doctor has advised that I take up cycling as I have to avoid high impact exercise like running because of an existing knee injury, I just have no idea where to start looking for a bike or what I should expect to pay for one. My employer does a bike to work scheme where they will loan you the money to buy a bike interest free and then they take installments out of your wages so I might look into that. I guess going to a local bike retailer is the best bet when it comes to finding a bike thats suitable for me.

Wish you all the best with your medical condition hope it gets better, and thinking about cycling is indeed a good idea. Well, from me, I guess take a good and durable mountain bike and cycle away...Hope you'll enjoy the "scenery" this time.
;):)