Total Immersion

T

Try Tri Tom

Has anyone had experience with the Total Immersion swimming method? Does is work any better than the
traditional way of swimming? Is it worth the money?

Any insight would be helpful.

Tom

"Try Tri Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| Has anyone had experience with the Total Immersion swimming method? Does
is
| work any better than the traditional way of swimming? Is it worth the money?
|
| Any insight would be helpful.
|
| Tom
|
|

Why do you have to pay money to learn a different technique? Is there some sort of patent on it?
Will you be arrested by the swimming police?

The good thing about freestyle is it's FREE!!

Marty

hi

the book is pretty good, basically about adopting a better body position, rather than powering
through the water, makes a lot of sense

thanks

sean

"Try Tri Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone had experience with the Total Immersion swimming method? Does
is
> work any better than the traditional way of swimming? Is it worth the money?
>
> Any insight would be helpful.
>
> Tom

Right-o, bro. TI is ****. Crapola with a captial C. Save your money. Don't waste it on TI ****.
Total waste of pounds.

"Blind Freddy" <[email protected](spam)> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Try Tri Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> | Has anyone had experience with the Total Immersion swimming method? Does
> is
> | work any better than the traditional way of swimming? Is it worth the money?
> |
> | Any insight would be helpful.
> |
> | Tom
> |
> |
>
> Why do you have to pay money to learn a different technique? Is there some sort of patent on it?
> Will you be arrested by the swimming police?
>
> The good thing about freestyle is it's FREE!!
>
>
> Marty

In article <[email protected]>, "Try Tri Tom" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Has anyone had experience with the Total Immersion swimming method? Does is work any better than
> the traditional way of swimming? Is it worth the money?
>
> Any insight would be helpful.

I like the books and think they've helped me learn to swim more efficiently. I can't say whether the
$450 clinics are worthwhile, though.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."

- Homer J. Simpson

I would agree the book is worth a read. I think it helped me swim better. I recently started working
with a masters group and the coach was surprised I had no real experience other than what I learned
on my own and by reading.

I can't say if it's worth the $$$ for the workshop though.

Chris

Harold Buck wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, "Try Tri Tom" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone had experience with the Total Immersion swimming method? Does is work any better than
> > the traditional way of swimming? Is it worth the money?
> >
> > Any insight would be helpful.
>
> I like the books and think they've helped me learn to swim more efficiently. I can't say whether
> the $450 clinics are worthwhile, though.
>
> --Harold Buck
>
> "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."
>
> - Homer J. Simpson

Have the book and trained with it. My current coach saw immidiately "Ah you are one of the TI
believers (thats in Austria!)".

Its quite good for long distance, but not the preferred style to swim fast. Many good triathlon
swimmers work on faster handturnover earlier, the FQS can lead (as in my case) to a very non fluent
swim style.

In my opinion its a good idea to train TI style in winter (for technique) but change to a more
traditional training in spring.

Dont think the seminars are necessary - a good swim coach is but doesnt cost that much. If a swim
coach is any good he will know that TI stuff in my opinion.

>I would agree the book is worth a read. I think it helped me swim better. I recently started
>working with a masters group and the coach was surprised I had no real experience other than what I
>learned on my own and by reading.
>
>I can't say if it's worth the $$$ for the workshop though.
>
>Chris
>
>Harold Buck wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>, "Try Tri Tom" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > Has anyone had experience with the Total Immersion swimming method? Does is work any better
>> > than the traditional way of swimming? Is it worth the money?
>> >
>> > Any insight would be helpful.
>>
>> I like the books and think they've helped me learn to swim more efficiently. I can't say whether
>> the $450 clinics are worthwhile, though.
>>
>> --Harold Buck
>>
>> "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."
>>
>> - Homer J. Simpson

I took the TI classes a couple years ago. I went from a virtual non-swimmer to having the technical
knowelege to become a pretty good swimmer. (I let life get in the way and didn't follow up on the
classes, so I still don't have any swimming endurance, but that's my fault, not TI's.) What you get
out of the classes will depend on what you start with and what you put in. If you are now a
non-swimmer, you will get better. If you are a college swim competitor, don't excpect much (any?)
improvement. Also, you are simply being taught a standard freestyle swim. The onl;y thing "new" is
the teaching method, not the end result. If you have access to a good local coach, you will probably
learn as much from him as from TI. If you are starting from scratch TI is a great way to learn some
drills and techniques that will make you a better swimmer. I would sttart with their books and
videos (the videos show you what the books are talking about) and see if they make any sense to you.
If you get something from the videos, going to the class will provide the type of indivdual
instruction to bring it all together.

Bood luck Bruce "Try Tri Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Has anyone had experience with the Total Immersion swimming method?
Does is
| work any better than the traditional way of swimming? Is it worth
the
| money?
|
| Any insight would be helpful.
|
| Tom
|
|

In article <Pejma.15772$2_3.7164@fed1read04>, "Bruce" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Also, you are simply being taught a standard freestyle swim. The onl;y thing "new" is the teaching
> method, not the end result.

This is not entirely true. Some aspects, such as front-quadrant swimming, are not entirely standard.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."

- Homer J. Simpson

"Harold Buck" | wrote:
|
| > Also, you are simply being taught a standard freestyle swim. The onl;y thing "new" is the
| > teaching method, not
the
| > end result.
|
| This is not entirely true. Some aspects, such as front-quadrant swimming, are not entirely
| standard.
|
| --Harold Buck
|
This may be a matter of semantics. According to Terry Laughliun, he developed the TI system from
studying the best swimmers in the world and trying to figure out what they were doing right. I
think in the end what he calls "front quadrant swimming" other good swimmers simply call good form.
(This is my opinion based on films they showed in my class of a world champion russian swimmer. his
form was almost exactly what TI was striving for. Long body, leading hand kept out front, good body
roll, etc.)

Bruce