Total Knee Replacement

Thanks for the reply, that is encouraging. I am now 12 days into the replacement and she sure hurts a bunch. I am hoping for a good 2nd week though. Ken

Hi
I would like to inform you of the Synvisc One Injection that I had a week ago. My research into this injection informed me that after 6 operations on my left knee, leaving me with no cartlidge left (bone on bone), I may get some relief when riding especially up hill and long distance. 6 months ago I had a leteral release but still have no relief. I also have been informed that the only relief ultimately is to have a TKP however I believe at 50 years of age I like the thought of the one off operation, so will put this off for as long as I can. I still have quite a bit of pain after one week but have read that this injection can take 4-6 weeks to work so will keep you updated with improvement. I have only one thing on my mind and that is to get back on my bike as soon as possible. Thanks Mandy.

I know with my grandfather, he had to go through a total knee replacement on both knees. It was a long recovery but he says it was one of the best decisions he made. The only problem he had afterwards was the bill. We felt for a long time that his bill was overpriced and because his doctor refused his insurance, (said it was too much paperwork) we ended up having no choice but to pay out of pocket because there aren't that many doctors around his home area that can do what he needed done... After searching around for answers to our bill though we came across a knee replacement cost estimator. Quite simply, a calculator that takes into consideration your location, age, pre-exisiting conditions and even your insurance and then creates an estimated bill for the surgery. It actually proved one and for all the cost was exactly as it should have been. Knowing that, we were surprised but still at ease with everything and made the payments necessary to cover the costs of the surgery.

I'll share it with you too if you're concerned about the costs or if anyone is honestly, but it really helped me so I hope it helps you too, good luck!!

http://www.healthline.com/surgery/total-knee-replacement/costs

I have had 9 procedures on both knees. I tore all the ligaments on my left knee 37 years ago playing rugby. I then had major surgery to correct this. Until age 40 I was a triathlete and 10K type runner. I recognized the importance of continual movement to keep the knee healthy. However at age 40 I fell fixing my sons basketball net. I fractured my right knee patella and severely tore cartiledge. I also cracked my left knee patella and bruised it badly. I had to have an osteotomy( metal insert) on my left knee and corrective surgery on my right. I ran and biked for the next 10 years. I gave up running 9 years ago. Since I swim, do non-contact aerobics at the Y, and bike about 100-130 miles per week. I take dance lessons and walk everywhere. I just biked 30 miles on my mountain bike yesterday.

1. Am I in pain? Yes weak-strong depending on what I am doing.
2. Synvisc treatments? Yes. Not worth it. Why? Because they add cortisone. The treatments last 3-6 months because cortisone kills the pain and not the synvisc.
3. Total Knee replacement- My knee was destroyed 37 years ago. However last year I hiked 10 miles in the brush with the Kalahari Bushmen. I never go through drive throughs. I walk to destinations outside of my building where I work. I work in the yard and cut the grass. As long as I am moving it is manageable. I was recommended to get a total at age 30. I was again recommended at age 55. I am now almost 63. Last year the head of the Plano clinic on joint replacements looked at my knee. He recommended I NOT get a replacement. The reason is I would have to give up so many healthy activities.

49 is way to young to have a knee replacement. I wrote a lot here because I want you to know I understand pain. I am trying to make it to my early 70's before I undergo the knife. Meanwhile I am looking at biking up Mt. Haleakala on Maui while hiking around the island. I also look forward to going dancing this friday nite!

Good Luck