Total newbee - Help required

Status

Dc

Guest
I bought a Claude Butler Cape Wrath bike a couple of years ago in the uk - Long story but it never
got used and has been stored in my loft. I have decided to sell it but the back wheel is sticking -
I think its the Grimeca disc brakes but I haven't got a clue how to free them off. Can anyone guide
me on how to free it off or alternatively do Halfords or similar offer a service for bikes and if so
what will the cost approx??

Cheers

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
DC <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I bought a Claude Butler Cape Wrath bike a couple of years ago in the uk - Long story but it never
> got used and has been stored in my loft. I have decided to sell it but the back wheel is sticking
> - I think its the Grimeca disc brakes but I haven't got a clue how to free them off. Can anyone
> guide me on how to free it off or alternatively do Halfords or similar offer a service for bikes
> and if so what will the cost approx??

If it's a cable disc, check the cables are free - they sometimes bind if left stood for a while.

Just undo the cable end clamp bolt on the brake calliper, check if the cable moves freely by pulling
the lever, then pulling the cable end back through. If it's stiff, remove the inner cable from the
outer and apply some light oil to the inner. Re-insert, run it through a few times until it's moving
smooth again, and re-clamp the cable. Make sure you clamp it with enough cable tension, then fine
tune it with the little adjuster knob(s) either at the lever end, the calliper end, or both.

Hope this helps.

Shaun aRe

Technician

Guest
> I bought a Claude Butler Cape Wrath bike a couple of years ago in the uk - Long story but it never
> got used and has been stored in my loft. I have decided to sell it but the back wheel is sticking
> - I think its the Grimeca disc brakes but I haven't got a clue how to free them off. Can anyone
> guide me on how to free it off or alternatively do Halfords or similar offer a service for bikes
> and if so what will the cost approx??
>
> Cheers

Well, i think if they are truly stuck on the rotors, perhaps some penetrating oil may free the
pads. Of course, after they are free, you will have to scrub the rotors and sand the pads to rid
them of the oil.

After you get the rotors off, make sure the hydraulics are still in order. find a piece of wood
that's slightly smaller than the rotor width, place it between the pads and squeeze. the wood
prevents too much piston extension (assuming similar to car disk brakes here) and is also a soft
non-scoring surface. if the hydraulics stick a bit (should self return a little bit) then work them
a few times (rebuild kit may be needed) and check for fluid leaks. as the piston will most likely
self adjust to the width of the wood, some fluid may need to be bled out to allow the rotor to fit
again (then top off fluid as necessary).

At least this worked for a friends car, i can only assume bike disk brakes are similar.

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

Dc

Guest
Thanks but there hydraulic i think "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> DC <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I bought a Claude Butler Cape Wrath bike a couple of years ago in the
uk -
> > Long story but it never got used and has been stored in my loft. I have decided to sell it but
> > the back wheel is sticking - I think its
the
> > Grimeca disc brakes but I haven't got a clue how to free them off. Can anyone guide me on how to
> > free it off or alternatively do Halfords
or
> > similar offer a service for bikes and if so what will the cost approx??
>
> If it's a cable disc, check the cables are free - they sometimes bind if left stood for a while.
>
> Just undo the cable end clamp bolt on the brake calliper, check if the
cable
> moves freely by pulling the lever, then pulling the cable end back
through.
> If it's stiff, remove the inner cable from the outer and apply some light oil to the inner.
> Re-insert, run it through a few times until it's moving smooth again, and re-clamp the cable.
> Make sure you clamp it with enough cable tension, then fine tune it with the little adjuster
> knob(s) either
at
> the lever end, the calliper end, or both.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Shaun aRe

John

Guest
> > I bought a Claude Butler Cape Wrath bike a couple of years ago in the
uk -
> > Long story but it never got used and has been stored in my loft. I have decided to sell it but
> > the back wheel is sticking - I think its
the
> > Grimeca disc brakes but I haven't got a clue how to free them off. Can anyone guide me on how to
> > free it off or alternatively do Halfords
or
> > similar offer a service for bikes and if so what will the cost approx??
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> Well, i think if they are truly stuck on the rotors, perhaps some penetrating oil may free the
> pads. Of course, after they are free, you will have to scrub the rotors and sand the pads to rid
> them of the oil.
>
> After you get the rotors off, make sure the hydraulics are still in order. find a piece of wood
> that's slightly smaller than the rotor width, place it between the pads and squeeze. the wood
> prevents too much piston extension (assuming similar to car disk brakes here) and is also a soft
> non-scoring surface. if the hydraulics stick a bit (should self return a little bit) then work
> them a few times (rebuild kit may be needed) and check for fluid leaks. as the piston will most
> likely self adjust to the width of the wood, some fluid may need to be bled out to allow the rotor
> to fit again (then top off fluid as necessary).
>
> At least this worked for a friends car, i can only assume bike disk brakes are similar.
>
> ~Travis
> --
> travis57 at megalink dot net
>
> travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer
> (current project: Automotive exhaust flame-thrower)

i got told when i got my grimeca 4 ports that the worse thing ya can do is to put any oil grease on
them otherwise ya just knacker ya pads up and they will not work

Technician

Guest

> "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > I bought a Claude Butler Cape Wrath bike a couple of years ago in the
> uk -
> > > Long story but it never got used and has been stored in my loft. I have decided to sell it but
> > > the back wheel is sticking - I think its
> the
> > > Grimeca disc brakes but I haven't got a clue how to free them off. Can anyone guide me on how
> > > to free it off or alternatively do Halfords
> or
> > > similar offer a service for bikes and if so what will the cost approx??
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >

> > Well, i think if they are truly stuck on the rotors, perhaps some penetrating oil may free the
> > pads. Of course, after they are free, you will have to scrub the rotors and sand the pads to rid
> > them of the oil.
> >
> > After you get the rotors off, make sure the hydraulics are still in order. find a piece of wood
> > that's slightly smaller than the rotor width, place it between the pads and squeeze. the wood
> > prevents too much piston extension (assuming similar to car disk brakes here) and is also a soft
> > non-scoring surface. if the hydraulics stick a bit (should self return a little bit) then work
> > them a few times (rebuild kit may be needed) and check for fluid leaks. as the piston will most
> > likely self adjust to the width of the wood, some fluid may need to be bled out to allow the
> > rotor to fit again (then top off fluid as necessary).
> >
> > At least this worked for a friends car, i can only assume bike disk brakes are similar.
> >
> > ~Travis
> > --
> > travis57 at megalink dot net
> >
> > travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer
> > (current project: Automotive exhaust flame-thrower)
>

> i got told when i got my grimeca 4 ports that the worse thing ya can do is to put any oil grease
> on them otherwise ya just knacker ya pads up and they will not work

That's why you have to scrub the rotors and sand the pads afterwards (or just get new pads).

If you don't, then yes, the brakes will not work.

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Technician <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> > uk -
its
> > the
Halfords
> > or

> > > Well, i think if they are truly stuck on the rotors, perhaps some penetrating oil may free the
> > > pads. Of course, after they are free, you will have to scrub the rotors and sand the pads to
> > > rid them of the
oil.

> > > After you get the rotors off, make sure the hydraulics are still in order. find a piece of
> > > wood that's slightly smaller than the rotor width, place it between the pads and squeeze. the
> > > wood prevents too
much
> > > piston extension (assuming similar to car disk brakes here) and is
also
> > > a soft non-scoring surface. if the hydraulics stick a bit (should self return a little bit)
> > > then work them a few times (rebuild kit may be needed) and check for fluid leaks. as the
> > > piston will most likely self adjust to the width of the wood, some fluid may need to be bled
> > > out to allow the rotor to fit again (then top off fluid as necessary).
> > >
> > > At least this worked for a friends car, i can only assume bike disk brakes are similar.
> > >
> > > ~Travis
> > > --
> > > travis57 at megalink dot net
> > >
> > > travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer
> > > (current project: Automotive exhaust flame-thrower)
> >

> > i got told when i got my grimeca 4 ports that the worse thing ya can do
is
> > to put any oil grease on them otherwise ya just knacker ya pads up and
they
> > will not work
> >

> That's why you have to scrub the rotors and sand the pads afterwards (or just get new pads).
>
> If you don't, then yes, the brakes will not work.

Nope - keep oil away from the pads if you want them to definitely work again, especially a
penetrating oil FFS.

Shaun aRe

Technician

Guest

> Technician <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> the
> > > uk -
> its
> > > the
> Halfords
> > > or
> approx??

> oil.

> much
> also

> > > i got told when i got my grimeca 4 ports that the worse thing ya can do
> is
> > > to put any oil grease on them otherwise ya just knacker ya pads up and
> they
> > > will not work
> > >

> > That's why you have to scrub the rotors and sand the pads afterwards (or just get new pads).
> >
> > If you don't, then yes, the brakes will not work.
>
> Nope - keep oil away from the pads if you want them to definitely work again, especially a
> penetrating oil FFS.
>
> Shaun aRe

Perhaps the pad material for cars is different then as the car i did this on doesn't seem to be
lacking any braking power.

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtty.mp3

Shaun Rimmer

Guest

> > > That's why you have to scrub the rotors and sand the pads afterwards
(or
> > > just get new pads).
> > >
> > > If you don't, then yes, the brakes will not work.
> >
> > Nope - keep oil away from the pads if you want them to definitely work again, especially a
> > penetrating oil FFS.
> >
> > Shaun aRe
> >

> Perhaps the pad material for cars is different then as the car i did this on doesn't seem to be
> lacking any braking power.

Maybe that's the case, maybe it's something else. I got fork oil on my pads (small amount, dripped
on rotor first) twice in a couple of weeks, and luckily, they survived after a cleaning and a scrub
up on a flat bed bench sander (cleaned up the rotor too, did the usual wet mud thing afterward as
well). When I got a little brake fluid on my pads one time (on for only a few seconds before they
were dumped in dish liquid and water etc.) they were

just *that, so, you are likely to ruin the pads. You may get lucky, you may not, hence my use of the
phrase "if you want them to definitely work again".

Shaun aRe

Chickenbomb

Guest
> Technician wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
> >> At least this worked for a friends car, i can only assume bike disk
> > brakes are similar.
> >
> > ~Travis
>
> all that only to say it's about a car?
>

> Penny
>
> I have just got new discs put on yet they seem to be making a screeching
noise when ever the brake goes through the mechanism yet if I touch the brake itself (outside of
course) and put a bit of pressure on it, it stops and the wheel seems to run a tad freer can anyone
who has any experience with discs give me the benefit of your knowledge (apologies for the vagueness
of the question)

thanks

John

Status